• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U sales in Japan surpass PS3, Vita, and Xbox 360 this week. (1500% increase)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seik

Banned
Doom me if old.

Source: Gamespot

Some good news for the Wii U apparently! Good for them to get some momentum because things weren't pretty at all in Japan so far.

While it's no secret that the Wii U has had less than stellar sales since its release last year, sales data from Japan this week show that the system can still sell impressive numbers.

According to a report from Media Create (via Gematsu), the Wii U sold 38,802 units this week in Japan, compared to just 2,598 the previous week. That's a staggering 1,500% increase.

The spike is primarily attributed to the release of Wii Party U, which sold over 37,000 copies and debuted in as the sixth highest selling piece of software in Japan last week. Number one, was of course, Pokemon X and Y, which sold 162,347 this week and 2,731,470 copies the week before).

wiiusales9luno.png

(Hey...it surpasses the OG 3DS sales too.)

Wii Party U released last week and Nintendo release new bundles. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=684893

set01_photo.png
set02_photo.png

Bundle 1 (32,800 yen):
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/hardware/familyset/index.html
32GB Wii U + NSMBU + Wii Party U + Sensor Bar + Wiimote + 30 days of Karaoke service

Bundle 2 (34,800 yen):
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/hardware/familyset/index.html#set02
32GB Wii U + NSMBU + Wii Party U + Wii Fit U + Sensor Bar + Fit Meter + Wiimote + 30 days of Karaoke service

*Bundle 2 does not come with Balance Board
*All software is pre-installed on the system

Both release October 31st.

The vanilla premium bundle is 31,500 yen (sans Nintendo Land), so this is a pretty good deal. Also comes with the Wii Party U stand for using the system horizontally on tables.

Note:
1. Regular Wii U Premium does not include the Sensor Bar in Japan
2. It does include the Deluxe Program for money back on digital purchases
3. The remote included is a Remote Plus and matches the color of the system
4. There is no Wind Waker HD bundle in Japan

Gskyace

Good for wii u.
But how fast and how many titles could Nintendo do to support a next(semi)gen console without anyone else?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
We have a Media Create thread for this every week. Holidays and Mario should give WiiU some stability, but next year and after next gen is in full effect it will be dead again. Count on it.

AOC83

Banned
This is perfection

I'm salty that wii party u boosted sales. This will only make nintendo develop more of that kind of games

Don´t worry, the impact this game made was way too small to justify another one, actually it bombed pretty hard when compared to the predecessor.

BONDO

Awesome, hope it picks up in the states. Really like the U i just dont play it enough due to not lking alot of whats available.

I did love Pikmin and Lego City, thats it.

Ratrat

We have a Media Create thread for this every week. Holidays and Mario should give WiiU some stability, but next year and after next gen is in full effect it will be dead again. Count on it.
Basically. Some one made a "dead to life-support" analogy in that thread. Very apt for now.

Jawmuncher

Well, is Wii Party U any good?

I heard it was just ok. But the rise in sales makes sense to me.
The bundle it had and not to mention a lot of nintendo's image as of late seems to be attributed to it being a "party" machine. So if Wii U Party pushed this when we end up getting stuff like Mario Kart, Mario Party, Fortune Street on WiiU we should see the sales get even better. Aside from the obvious heavy hitter's like Smash and a new Zelda.

I heard it was just ok. But the rise in sales makes sense to me.
The bundle it had and not to mention a lot of nintendo's image as of late seems to be attributed to it being a "party" machine. So if Wii U Party pushed this when we end up getting stuff like Mario Kart, Mario Party, Fortune Street on WiiU we should see the sales get even better. Aside from the obvious heavy hitter's like Smash and a new Zelda.

Fair enough. I've been in the market for one ever since I tried out the demo of Rayman Legends on it, but it's only until now that I see the damn thing as a viable investment. I'm pretty sure many feel the same way after the new bundle.

Oh, and I couldn't find one of the Mario/Luigi ones in stores today. What the hell? Are they limited?

RM8

Was it really Wii Party U? That makes me uncomfortable. Still, good to see at least some signs of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom