• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U sales in Japan surpass PS3, Vita, and Xbox 360 this week. (1500% increase)

Status
Not open for further replies.
realistically, sales are going to stay afloat for a while, it's christmas! people are gonna snap them up like hotcakes for a few months at least.

like how many family oriented games are targeted for the Xbox One or PS4?
i can't remember one.

Don't do this to yourself, man.

EvX6G5y.gif
the latter part about the ps4 seems really probable

Seik

Banned
EvX6G5y.gif

Why would Sony be done in Japan? Wasn't it said that PS4 was pretty much sold out over there for launch? Xbox One is way more 'done' there than Sony's PS4 for example. The 360 sales in Japan this gen are self-explanatory.

Why would Sony be done in Japan? Wasn't it said that PS4 was pretty much sold out over there for launch? Xbox One is way more 'done' there than Sony's PS4 for example. The 360 sales in Japan this gen are self-explanatory.

i wouldn't say done but they would be in a position where they would be going up against nintendos biggest titles next year. maybe even doing wii u numbers post launch...

wmlk

Sony is extremely Western-centric at this point.

Some Nobody

Not a bad increase. Still not making that 9 million tho. There might've been a shot if increases like this happened for the next 6 weeks or so, but...let's be real.

So it begins.

Those so called analysts are about to eat their words as it is Wii U's time to shine. With the best holiday lineup featuring gigantic hits like Super Mario 3D World, Monster Hunter Frontier G, Call of Duty: Ghost, and Taiko Drum Master the Wii U will destroy the PS3, Vita, Vita TV, PSP, and 360 combined. Then it'll get embarrassing when PS4 launches to no success as Nintendo counters with the highly anticipated Mario Kart 8, New Super Smash Bros, and Bayonetta 2. Sony's done in Japan.

lol

i..i actually feel like this might happen tho tbh

Stop. Please

EvX6G5y.gif

The PS3 sold 10 million despite facing the Wii at a price of $599. The Wii had all those big Nintendo games and they where so muhc bigger than they will eve rbe on the WiiU yet it still only sold 2 million less than the Wii.

The reason: third party support. Only place to go if you wanted to play FF,RE,MGS, Tales etc.

i wouldn't say done but they would be in a position where they would be going up against nintendos biggest titles next year. maybe even doing wii u numbers post launch...

PS4 launches in Feb. Mario Kart is like April iirc. Post launch draught might happen.

I enjoy that expectations have lowered so much that surpassing the Vita for a single week leads to a multi-page gloating thread. Just think about that for a minute.

Anth0ny

So it begins.

Those so called analysts are about to eat their words as it is Wii U's time to shine. With the best holiday lineup featuring gigantic hits like Super Mario 3D World, Monster Hunter Frontier G, Call of Duty: Ghost, and Taiko Drum Master the Wii U will destroy the PS3, Vita, Vita TV, PSP, and 360 combined. Then it'll get embarrassing when PS4 launches to no success as Nintendo counters with the highly anticipated Mario Kart 8, New Super Smash Bros, and Bayonetta 2. Sony's done in Japan.

I'm actually scared for PS4 in Japan. It really seems like console gaming is pretty much dead over there, and while PS4 won't do Wii U numbers, they won't be all that high, either.

Here's hoping Japanese third parties support the hell out of the thing. MGS V, FFXV and KH3 is a good start, but there has to be more. Until then, Japan will be happy playing their 3DSes, and even their Vitas.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Eh, the Media Create thread is like, right there. Should Smokeydave make a new thread about his precious Vita selling steady at 28k+ now too? It's a temporary spike.

Next week's Wii-U numbers are going to be interesting.

cafemomo

WiiU will not dominate this Winter in Japan. What are the winter releases anyway? I think some drum music game by Scamco and some MoHu MMO that would ported on a toaster if Capcom had their way. The PS3 will be the dominant home console. It has Final Fantasy, Drakengard 3, GT6, & Gundam

In the end though,
3DS > Vita =/= PS4 > WiiU > > > > > > Xbox 1

spekkeh

Banned
I was in a brick and mortar shop the other day (I know crazy right, apparently some people still don't buy everything at Amazon cum suis), and noticed that the price difference was finally starting to get comfortable as well. You can get a limited edition Wii U with game for 300 euro (probably a bit cheaper if you look well), whereas a PS4 with game sets you back close to 470. The Xbone will be even more expensive (though not important here as it doesn't even have a release date yet).
For us affluent gamer folk that won't really make a difference, but for some parents it might.

Terrell

Words used to weasel out of saying something on the chance one is wrong about one's belief.
Or words that show (quite reasonable) uncertainty. Because being certain of success OR failure at this point is kind of silly.

But those chiming in about an epic failure seem to be the loudest, most frequent and most vociferous in their opinions. So you'll forgive me if I take the moment to remind them that their opinions aren't the word of law, no matter how frequently it's repeated as such.

greg400

Banned
WiiU will not dominate this Winter in Japan. What are the winter releases anyway? I think some drum music game by Scamco and some MoHu MMO that would ported on a toaster if Capcom had their way. The PS3 will be the dominant home console. It has Final Fantasy, Drakengard 3, GT6, & Gundam

In the end though,
3DS > Vita =/= PS4 > WiiU > > > > > > Xbox 1
Neither PS4 or Xbox One will be available in Japan until 2014.

PS4 is February 22nd and there is no specific date for Xbox One.

Or words that show (quite reasonable) uncertainty. Because being certain of success OR failure at this point is kind of silly.

But those chiming in about an epic failure seem to be the loudest, most frequent and most vociferous in their opinions. So you'll forgive me if I take the moment to remind them that their opinions aren't the word of law, no matter how frequently it's repeated as such.

The system is a failure though, million behind the gamecube in the US alone with an even worse outlook for the future. Believing that the system isn't a failure won't change the fact that it is no matter how many single week bumps the system gets.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Guessing 26k next week, then 18k and then 3D world bonanza (bonanza meaning ~50k lol)

This also reminds me of that "PS vita now crushes ..." Thread that one week Vita did really well in Japan :D

Terrell

The system is a failure though, million behind the gamecube in the US alone with an even worse outlook for the future. Believing that the system isn't a failure won't change the fact that it is no matter how many single week bumps the system gets.
Because a consistent and sustained bump is somehow impossible?
I mean, if it can happen for the VITA, it can happen for pretty much anything under the right circumstances, circumstances which we don't decide.

I mean, if it can happen for the VITA, it can happen for pretty much anything under the right circumstances, circumstances which we don't decide.

Yes there is always the .01% chance the system gains the 3rd party support necessary for a sustained bump.

1) it hasn't happened for vita
2) if you consider the vita to not also be a failure i don't know what to say
3) if it does happen for vita it's on the back of constant game releases something the wiiu does not have and does not look like it will get

Nikodemos

You can get a limited edition Wii U with game for 300 euro (probably a bit cheaper if you look well), whereas a PS4 with game sets you back close to 470. The Xbone will be even more expensive (though not important here as it doesn't even have a release date yet).
Yes, but how much is a PS3/X360 bundle?

SmokyDave

Eh, the Media Create thread is like, right there. Should Smokeydave make a new thread about his precious Vita selling steady at 28k+ now too? It's a temporary spike.

Next week's Wii-U numbers are going to be interesting.
Fuck a thread, I'm engraving a trophy.

Sonic Lost World (Wii U) - 2,076

Because Sonic Wii U was selling at $73.92 in Japan, we're looking at $135,458.50 made in the first week in gross revenue.

In other words, Sega made about $67,000 in gross profit in the first week from Sonic: Lost World Wii U Japanese sales. And, Japanese games are usually front-loaded.

First Week - Sonic: Lost World Sales - 2,076
Second Week - Sonic: Lost World Sales - Less than 1,288

See, this is why I like Dengeki...with this tracker, we're able to much more precisely track the sales of all of those failing Wii U titles in Japan. It's a bit of a double-edged sword, though.

Wait, what was the point in putting the 360 in the title? Hasn't the Wii U always outsold it since it was released?

Exactly. 360 sales are dead (hardware + software wise). Wii U has always beat it. I don't know why the OP included it either. Wii U also surpassed Wii, PS2, PSP, and DS this week, but you don't see those platforms in the title. :p

Darryl

Banned
should get a nice pick-up now that winter is here and i don't believe any major 3ds games are in the pipe for a bit. nintendo's first-party wii u titles should have no problem getting some buzz.

cafemomo

PS4 is February 22nd and there is no specific date for Xbox One.

And? I was talking about how the PS3 will be the dominant home console over the WiiU this winter. The PS3 has a more appealing lineup for late November/December/January.

WiiU is basically ded after Mario comes out til MK8 drops. And by then it will be facing some competition from the PS4.

Unlike the WiiU, the Vita actually has 3rd party support.

I'm sorry but anyone who believes PS4 will outsell Wii U's combined December, January and February sales in two weeks is delusional.

the wiiu's first 2 weeks were 430k, the wiiu wont sell 430k combined in dec/jan/feb of this/next year. I would not be surprised if the ps4 can sell 400k in 2 weeks, its performance after those 2 weeks will depend on any followup releases.

It is not a delusional proposition at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom