• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U sales in Japan surpass PS3, Vita, and Xbox 360 this week. (1500% increase)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky

Banned
the wiiu's first 2 weeks were 430k, the wiiu wont sell 430k combined in dec/jan/feb of this/next year. I would not be surprised if the ps4 can sell 400k in 2 weeks, its performance after those 2 weeks will depend on any followup releases.

It is not a delusional proposition at all.

Sony can sell more than 400k on day 1 if the over 1 million preorders number is true.

greg400

Banned
And? I was talking about how the PS3 will be the dominant home console over the WiiU this winter. The PS3 has a more appealing lineup for late November/December/January.
You specifically said the following:

"3DS > Vita =/= PS4 > WiiU > > > > > > Xbox 1"
WiiU is basically ded after Mario comes out til MK8 drops. And by then it will be facing some competition from the PS4.
Suddenly Tropical Freeze no longer exists.

Sony can sell more than 400k on day 1 if the over 1 million preorders number is true.

that is eu/us preorders. the comments were made before japanes preorder became available iirc. There has been no comment on the strength or weakness of japans numbers as far as i am aware.

1500% whatever, a 38K still isn't much when the console sold badly throughout the year.

For the Wii U to be healthy, it would have to sell 38K every single week...all year long.

Any number <10K is really, really bad, and the Wii U has spent the majority of its time on the Japanese market with <10K weeks.

Here are some precise statistics:

Out of the 48 weeks the Wii U has been on the Japanese market:

27 out of 48 weeks (56.25%) have been <10K (horrible)
39 out of 48 weeks (81.25%) have been <20K (bad)
9 out of 48 (18.75%) have been >20K (mediocre to great)

greg400

Banned
the wiiu's first 2 weeks were 430k, the wiiu wont sell 430k combined in dec/jan/feb of this/next year. I would not be surprised if the ps4 can sell 400k in 2 weeks, its performance after those 2 weeks will depend on any followup releases.

It is not a delusional proposition at all.
Wii U outperformed both PS3 and 360 launch weeks. It's not going to happen, all you need to do is look at launch week sales from previous generations in a much larger market for some perspective.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/...ag-original-wii-but-better-than-xbox-360-ps3/

3D World and Tropical Freeze are both hitting this Winter. The Japanese offerings on PS4 are essentially non existent at launch.

greg400

Banned
you are using us numbers in a japanese thread.
"It's not going to happen, all you need to do is look at launch week sales from previous generations in a much larger market for some perspective."

You are claiming 400K sales for PS4 launch in Japan when even US numbers prove it to be difficult.

"It's not going to happen, all you need to do is look at launch week sales from previous generations in a much larger market for some perspective."

US has nothing to do with japan its irrelevant data, that would be like using the fact that the vita sold more in its first week in japan than the wiiu (which it did go have a look) to predict the vita will sell more than the wiiu in the US.

You are claiming 400K sales for PS4 launch in Japan when even US numbers prove it to be difficult.

You said 400k in two weeks not one. both the wiiu and vita sold 400k in 2 weeks in japan.

JP

Maybe people are buying it to warm up for buying a proper console next week? You know, baby steps and stuff!

Oooooooooonnnnnnnnnly joking! ;)

greg400

Banned
US has nothing to do with japan its irrelevant data, that would be like using the fact that the vita sold more in its first week in japan than the wiiu (which it did go have a look) to predict the vita will sell more than the wiiu in the US.
You claimed 400K two week sales in Japan when that number is hard to achieve in the US.

FFXIV, DW8, Yakuza, Dream Club and Natural Doctrine
Wow, a bunch of PS3 games that are already out.

You claimed 400K two week sales in Japan when that number is hard to achieve in the US.

Wow, a bunch of PS3 games that are already out.

err 400k in two weeks is not that difficult for a launch in Japan. WiiU met that. I would expect PS4 to meet that as well. PS2 did 600k in its first week iirc.

Yakuza and Natural Doctrine haven't come out yet.

greg400

Banned
You do realise that your 400k link is only 1 week not 2 right?
"According to industry tracker NPD, the Xbox 360 sold 326,000 units in its first two weeks on sale in North America in 2005. The PlayStation 3 sold 197,000 in the last two weeks of November 2006, after launching at prices starting at $500."

The 400,000 in that link is for North America. Vita is handheld and continued Japanese sales have shown a decline in immovable console hardware.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
360 is gonna come back, just you wait.

That's the spirit!

Thumbs-Up_o_4752.jpg

greg400

Banned
err 400k in two weeks is not that difficult for a launch in Japan. WiiU met that. I would expect PS4 to meet that as well. PS2 did 600k in its first week iirc.

Yakuza and Natural Doctrine haven't come out yet.
Continued decline with the improvement of handheld hardware.

Yakuza and Natural Doctrine are both launching on PS3 and PSVita.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Knew that percentage was going to be too good for someone to pass up making a new thread over, despite the reality of its implication.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Yeah man, now that the catalog is expanding they can get some decent bundles going.

I really think 2014 will be when it comes into it's own. I think it'll be a huge bomb compared to the PS4 and Xbone, but I think it'll be a respectable lil' console when all is said and done.

It's my choice for next-gen!

Terrell

1) it hasn't happened for vita
2) if you consider the vita to not also be a failure i don't know what to say
3) if it does happen for vita it's on the back of constant game releases something the wiiu does not have and does not look like it will get

Vita has achieved a sustained bump. I honestly never expected it to crawl out of the 4-digit sales numbers for longer than a week. And here we are.

And oh yes, I consider Vita a failure, but that has a lot to do with Sony doing NOTHING for the platform. Seriously, people are calling for Iwata's head because he flubbed a launch and can't crawl out of it? At least he's TRYING, Yoshida was allowed to send the Vita to die with no substantial support for over an entire year! It's literally as though there was a mass stroke at Sony and nearly no one could remember it even existed.

Unlike the WiiU, the Vita actually has 3rd party support.

Yeah, that's been doing wonders for it.

why does this deserve an own thread. it was discussed in the weekly media create thread already

anyways i think the key for nintendo is now to try to gain some momentum.

they have wii party u, wii sports, wii fit u and they need to market it. furthermore there are a few games on the horizon that did well in the past like monster hunter frontier, taiko, dragon quest x expansion, sonic and mario and mario 3dland.

Yakuza is not on the Vita lol. Also the handheld market has declined far more than the console market.

how high is the probability of syn sophia doing anothe black panther Yakuza game on vita?

for them style savvy was probably more succesful but they kinda did their thing on 3DS already

Guessing 26k next week, then 18k and then 3D world bonanza (bonanza meaning ~50k lol)

This also reminds me of that "PS vita now crushes ..." Thread that one week Vita did really well in Japan :D

To be fair, wasn't it the week that the Vita beat the 3DS? That was pretty unexpected so it's understandable that people were freaking out.

tensuke

realistically, sales are going to stay afloat for a while, it's christmas! people are gonna snap them up like hotcakes for a few months at least.

like how many family oriented games are targeted for the Xbox One or PS4?
i can't remember one.
Not...not one? You know, the lead architect of the PS4 has a certain knack for making family oriented games.

gogogow

Again, don't do this to yourself, it's false hope. There's next to no chance of that happening. Even at its absurd price and with its weak lineup in its first year, the PS3 never did as poorly as the Wii U.

Never did as poorly? Sure, the Wii U is doing terrible, there's no denying that, but the PS3 did terrible too. After a year (Nov 2006-Nov 2007), the PS3's LTD was 1.30m. The Wii U is at 1.13m now, with another month to go till 8 Dec, before it will hit it's first full year, with SM3DW still coming. The sales are really similar after a year in the market.

Not...not one? You know, the lead architect of the PS4 has a certain knack for making family oriented games.

i know that a lot of people are looking forward to this game. however looking at sales of similar PS franchises, like ratchet or jak, make me come to the conclusion that the sales will not be under the 3 millions range worldwide and under the 300k range in japan.

too distant from 3D World to keep any momentum, but hopefully0 it does
Just released Wii Party U/Wii Fit U/ Wii Sports Club
CoD Ghosts Nov 14th
Taiko Nov 21st
Mario 3DWorld nov 21st
Mario and Sonic Dec 5th
Dragon Quest X Expansion Dec 5th
Monster Hunter Frontier G Dec 11th

greg400

Banned
That is wrong. The trailer and conference, website and interviews all clearly state you will be able to do some kind of glorified vita minigame that will affect your character. The full game is not releasing on the system.
Well then feel free to post your own sources, as all I could bother to dig through on the game were headlines and stories that stated it was coming to PS4, PS3, and Vita.

Never did as poorly? Sure, the Wii U is doing terrible, there's no denying that, but the PS3 did terrible too. After a year (Nov 2006-Nov 2007), the PS3's LTD was 1.30m. The Wii U is at 1.13m now, with another month to go till 8 Dec, before it will hit it's first full year, with SM3DW still coming. The sales are really similar after a year in the market.

Yes, you read that correctly. The PS3 never did as poorly as the Wii U. The PS3 wasn't doing well in its first year but it never went as low as 2-3k a week. From what I remember, 5k was its lowest point.

Well then feel free to post your own sources, as all I could bother to dig through on the game were headlines and stories that stated it was coming to PS4, PS3, and Vita.

Sony's pre-TGS conference itself is the source. The Vita was brought up and a bunch of western publications misinterpreted the Vita's appearance during that segment when it was clearly only related to remote play and an additional app. You're wrong, get over it.

greg400

Banned
Sony's pre-TGS conference itself is the source. The Vita was brought up and a bunch of western publications misinterpreted the Vita's appearance during that segment when it was clearly only related to remote play and an additional app. You're wrong, get over it.
Lol, get over what? Was genuinely asking him to post his sources as that's all I could find.

Regardless still nothing to lure Japanese buyers to PS4 if it's going to be readily available on PS3.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
CoD Ghosts Nov 14th
Taiko Nov 21st
Mario 3DWorld nov 21st
Mario and Sonic Dec 5th

oh boy looks like it could!

Taiko is that drum game? Same day as Mario?
Damn

gogogow

Yes, you read that correctly. The PS3 never did as poorly as the Wii U. The PS3 wasn't doing well in its first year but it never went as low as 2-3k a week. From what I remember, 5k was its lowest point.
I see, moving that goalpost, first talking about the first year, now talking about lowest weekly sales. But after the first full year they both will be at about the same LTD.

Sendou

CoD Ghosts Nov 14th
Taiko Nov 21st
Mario 3DWorld nov 21st
Mario and Sonic Dec 5th

When is Assassin's Creed IV releasing in Japan? I thought that was supposed to be a surprisingly strong IP in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom