• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Working with PS4 is a 'dream come true', says Witcher 3 developer

Toxa

In an exclusive interview with PlayStation Universe, Michał Krzemiński, Senior Art producer for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt at CD Project, talks about the evolution of the action-RPG series and what it was like working with the PlayStation 4.

This is the first time that The Witcher has appeared on a Sony console but Krzemiński says that they are experimenting with ways in which to bring gamers up to speed with Witcher lore, though he emphasises that this latest iteration will feature a standalone narrative to ensure that gamers do not have to be familiar with past titles.

Working with next-generation hardware has ensured that The Witcher 3 will look outstanding and Krzemiński says that he wants gamers to say ‘wow’ when they play this latest instalment and for that “‘wow' to stay with you throughout the whole experience”.

When probed about PlayStation 4 hardware, Krzemiński says that it’s a “dream come true when it comes to game development” as they haven’t had to think about hardware limitations and were simply able to unleash their creative firepower.

Does The Witcher 3 max out the PS4, we asked?

“That’s a really tough question to answer”, says Krzemiński, “because you learn the system along the way and games that are developed at the end of a console’s life cycle are always better looking despite the hardware remains unchanged. And it’s not a thing specific to us, other studios are subject to this as well. Nonetheless, The Witcher 3’s visuals will blow you away.”

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is due for release in 2014 on PC, Xbox One and PS4. A launch date has yet to be announced.

lock if old

http://www.psu.com/a021602/Working-with-PS4-is-a-dream-come-true-says-Witcher-3-developer

Working with next-generation hardware has ensured that The Witcher 3 will look outstanding and Krzemiński says that he wants gamers to say ‘wow’ when they play this latest instalment and for that “‘wow' to stay with you throughout the whole experience”.

Iwata-flipnote99ujn.gif

Sounds like Witcher 2 will be ported over.

That would be awesome. Witcher 2 is in my backlog on 360 and it's literally the only reason I am keeping the console out now. Probably won't happen though, we'll get a comic feature instead (like with Mass Effect before they made #1 on PS3).

"Does The Witcher 3 max out the PS4, we asked?"

There is a saying that there are no stupid questions, but I beg to differ.

nib95

Banned
Good! Because Witcher 3 is my most anticipated next gen game!

In order of interest, at least at the time of posting.

1. The Witcher 3
2. The Order 1886
3. Killzone Shadow Fall
4. Infamous Second Son
5. Final Fantasy XV
6. Metal Gear Solid V
7. DriveClub
8. Halo 5
9. Destiny
10. Watchdogs
11. Resogun
12. RiME
13. The Witness
14. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flags
15. The Division
16. Kingdom Hearts 3
17. TitanFall
18. Lily Bergamo
19. NBA 2K14
20. Deep Down or Hohokum

meppi

The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk are my most wanted post launch games, so that's certainly good news. Looks like the development is going smoothly. :)

"Does The Witcher 3 max out the PS4, we asked?"

There is a saying that there are no stupid questions, but I beg to differ.

To be fair, they're probably referencing this comment from CDP

VG247: In a recent interview, CD Projekt members suggested that the team has already managed to max out next-gen systems. I found this a bit concerning as you’re aiming to launch The Witcher 3 very early on in their life cycle. I know the game will be dramatically intense on PC, but can you tell us just how much the game is progressing on next-gen platforms?

Ziemak: Sure. At this point, we’re advanced in testing, running and experimenting with next-gen platforms, and at this point we know the game is pretty demanding. Of course, we still have the authorisation phase in front of us, but because of size and density, we are already close to maxing out the equipment. Of course, if we find more workforce in boxes, we will surely use it to make the game even better. I think others share the same opinion as us, if there’s power to be used then why not use it all? [Laughs]

http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/05/is-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-maxing-out-next-gen-consoles-already/

I have a hard time believing Holiday 2014. If I had to guess I'd say March 2015 is more realistic. CDPR has TW3 and Cyberpunk coming out, I see them not making date as a result. I hope I'm wrong as TW2 on PC is one of the best looking and immersive games I've ever played. What they're attempting to do with TW3 is staggering.

Also, if you fine folks haven't read The Witcher novel, you should. It's fucking good.

though he emphasises that this latest iteration will feature a standalone narrative to ensure that gamers do not have to be familiar with past titles.

This really worries me. You make some pretty huge choices in TW2. I'm worried that like in ME they will be completely inconsequential.
Especially the 2 choices at the very end will be really pointless if they don't affect TW3 because since they happened at the end they didn't have any effect on the game's plot so what's the point if they don't play into TW3's story.
I'm still hoping this wont be the case, would be nice if anyone just asked the damn question?
And where's Triss CDPR? Show me Triss!

Serra

Website focused on Playstation exclusively interviews developer. Developer praises the platform the website is focused on. Big suprise.

And no, Witcher 3 won't "max out" on PS4.

velociraptor

I'm sure the Witcher will be a great looking game but I'm more concerned about the gameplay.

I'm currently playing Witcher 2 on PC and the combat is atrocious.

teh_rhn

Banned
looking forward to Witcher 3, i barely played Witcher 1 because i didn't like the gameplay at all, LOVED the Witcher 2 EE though

Hope Witcher 3 fills my skyrim dissatisfaction

Hoo-doo

Banned
I hope more developers feel this way.

Cerny worked his ass off to make the most developer-friendly console possible, with constant dev feedback and criticism during the entire design process.
That's vision right there. I really hope it pays off big for Sony.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Website focused on Playstation exclusively interviews developer. Developer praises the platform the website is focused on. Big suprise.

And no, Witcher 3 won't "max out" on PS4.

That's complete bullshit. CD Projekt Red are not Playstation-exclusive developers and never have been.
You assume there's zero integrity at all on the developer's part, which is completely unfounded.

Exclusive or first-party devs praising their platform holders and basically the guy that writes their paycheck? Yeah, you could have a point in that it might sway their opinions. But CD Projekt aren't like that at all.

spekkeh

Banned
I'm sure the Witcher will be a great looking game but I'm more concerned about the gameplay.

I'm currently playing Witcher 2 on PC and the combat is atrocious.

Second. Too convoluted and repetitive, just not really fun at all. And easy is taking the piss. Witcher 3 was my most anticipated game of next gen, but then I started playing Witcher 2. Now it's just wait and see whether they hired new game and interaction designers.

sublimit

Banned
I'm sure he would say the same thing for the development of the XB1 version as well if he was interviewed by OXM. ;)

Faustek

I can honestly say that this may be the first time I'll recommend people to buy the console version. Still waiting for XBO coverage before I even consider that.

But if your PC cm handle it, Always go for that and buy on GoG, screw achievements.

eot

Banned
I think Witcher 3 could occupy the same spot Oblivion did last generation, if they just get it out soon enough. It could be huge for CDP.

Top Bottom