• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Almost Human |OT| Bromantic Blade Runner – Mondays 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

Note: OP is best seen in Default Theme.​
jbvaJaKnTtteHP.png
izYLyKph9f8aI.gif
j3ox7yxgag5WR.png
jFVuXJnT3zHB2.png
jgujpV0JhBSJC.png
jiadRi1y9kCTN.png
j7zxhwjbVT4e2.png
jtUw7R0x1EBDz.png

jbqCni7zSoP2ER.png

jbbtYSl59I6BGR.png

Like nearly everything Karl Urban has done. And looking forward to this.

A few members of the cast do appear to be Criminal Minds clones though. Just hope it's not a similar formula, awkward genius guy, tough ex-special forces guy, nerdy tech gal etc.

B.K.

It could be interesting, but I'm not really expecting much. I wonder if the robots in the show have any Three Laws type rules they have to follow. That might make it more interesting.

Won

In for Urban. I hope it's good. Don't want a bad show eat up his schedule.

Also screw the default theme!

Kvik

Will watch with a great interest. I really hope it'll really delved into transhumanism aspect as promised, and not turning into some generic procedural.

is there any wonder Dorian is deep and emotional?

What is THAT supposed to mean?!

My name is Dorian, and it is so weird to see my name in the media in any capacity. It's a rarity. (It's funny, there was a Dorian in the Imperial City in Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. He, like me, was black with cornrows. I always hated the fact that there was an infinite money glitch you could exploit by killing him and pickpocketing him over and over again!)

TheOddOne

- TV-Guide: How "Sweded" It Is: Almost Human Invites Fans To Reshoot Its Promo
- Variety review:
“Almost Human” is just barely watchable — a grunged-up vision of a dystopian, crime-ridden future, with actors portraying humanoid robots, including the one played by Michael Ealy, who weaves awkward slang into his speech. It’s a quirky addition to a Fox lineup that already has scored a modest success with the fantasy-infused “Sleepy Hollow,” but the network seems unlikely to enjoy such good fortune twice.
awkward-gif.gif

Tom_Cody

Good work on the opening post.

I'm very much looking forward to this. I realy like the premise and I love the cast.

It will be interesting to see how this works as a week-to-week show once we've gotten past the pilot.

TheOddOne

- SFgate review.
The performances are spot on, and it's especially gratifying to see Ealy better utilized after being wasted in the dopey USA show "Common Law." The action scenes are terrific and the well-executed special effects, makeup and costumes contribute to the convincing look of the dark, crime-ridden city of the future.

Judging from the pilot, at least, "Almost Human's" future on Fox is fairly bright.
- Post Gazette review.
The show's futuristic production design, though familiar, looks expensive by TV standards and it's questionable how much future episodes will resemble the pilot. (Studios always spend more on the pilot, because it's partially a sales tool, than they do on subsequent episodes.)

"Almost Human" is almost OK but nothing more than that, at least in its first episode, which is all Fox made available at deadline.
- Oregonian review.
"Almost Human" doesn't yet feel as special as "Fringe" was – for a while, anyway. But with such capable actors as Taylor and Crook, and Urban and Ealy's convincing bond, it definitely could have a future. If we're lucky, it won't be a bleak one.
- Almost Human Official Tumblr (looks great!)

Dyno

I haven't seen it but it sounds just like Alien Nation but with androids.

I would love for the Android to wonder what it truly means to be human and then Urban's character sits the robot down with the complete run of Star Trek TNG.

"That should answer all your questions. If not, shut the fuck up and keep it to yourself."

Link

The Autumn Wind
- Oregonian review.
"Almost Human" doesn't yet feel as special as "Fringe" was – for a while, anyway. But with such capable actors as Taylor and Crook, and Urban and Ealy's convincing bond, it definitely could have a future. If we're lucky, it won't be a bleak one.
To be fair, Fringe wasn't as special as Fringe was until halfway through the first season (and some would argue later than that) when they got the mythology going in earnest.

TheOddOne

- Sepinwall's review (C+)
Basically, "Almost Human" is a formula cop show that just happens to feature a robot, and even that part only seems novel because of Ealy's performance. In a TV world where even the straightforward police procedurals have a tint of science-fiction to them, and where you have the fantastical likes of "Marvel's Agents of P.U.N.C.T.U.A.T.I.O.N.," it becomes harder to stand out. Urban is usually a likable presence, and in time Kennex might calm down and start feeling like a person rather than a cliché, at which point "Almost Human" could settle into being an acceptable spin on buddy cop tropes. Right now, though, it's Ealy or bust.

- Onion A|V Club review
There are enough interesting things in Almost Human’s pilot that people who enjoy sci-fi television might want to stick with a handful of episodes. The special effects are some of the best on TV, and there are moments when the series actually makes the most of its premise. Yet it would be nice to see another episode of Almost Human or two, to see if it will give in to the better Ealys of its nature or descend into being just another bland cop show with a forgettable twist.

Grade: C+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom