• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's on their defective PS4 [Up: Sony - less than 0.4% of shipped units affected]

Hoje0308

Banned
How else would you propose to calculate an error rate? Pull random numbers out of your ass?

You would have to know the total number of failures for all consoles in use. Pulling numbers out of your ass is what started this. There isn't enough information available to come up with any concrete numbers.

Demon Ice

Banned
" Oddly enough, we tried adding light pressure to the top of console and it briefly flickered a few active home menu images on the television."

What kind of problem could cause that?

A hardware issue, maybe solder that melted / cracked and something lost contact with the motherboard.

bob page

Why the hell are people going crazy over this? It's obviously a small amount and there's no way of knowing the extent until tomorrow. Everything until then is pointless.

People need to relax.

Not this time of year. With the holidays coming up retail expects returns to 1/31.

Wow... that is awesome. I just hope Gamestop honors it for that time period. Like I said, I am probably worrying for nothing, but I just want it to work. I may be forced to crack the seal tonight and give it a try... just hate to open up that console and go thru the proccess of setting up only to take it right back down again. This console deserves to be played on my Sony W900 I am buying... not a 21 inch insignia monitor that I have had for 4 years. (no disrespect to anybody that has that monitor.... it has served its purpose.)

Amused

vnwqnhNl.jpg

scakko84

I guess tomorrow with all the gaffers that bought a ps4 we'll have more numbers to speculate on, for now i'm pretty confident. If the failure rate gets rampant i'll cancel my pre-order and place it somewhere down the line...

MilkBeard

People need to realize the Ps4 and X1 are going to be the first major consoles released in the Twitter/Youtube/ Social media era so there is gonna be tons of stuff out there anytime a system has a defect.

Most electronics like laptops, tvs, consoles, etc have a defective rate of around 3% which is normal. Taco Bell gave out 4000 systems, plus there are probably another 100 or so out there with reviewers, so having 7-8 random people have defective systems does not mean there is a crisis.

Sony has been making hardware forever I doubt they did not test the system out beforehand.

Back when systems launched before the only way people would know is if you complained on a forum to a small audience. Now anyone can go online and make a complaint on twitter, facebook, youtube, etc and have a huge audience.

Heck even Microsoft tried to cover up the RROD the first few years of the 360 until they had a lawsuit thrown at them which made them admit to there being a problem. Just imagine if social media was huge back then, there would be no way to cover it up.

A certain percentage of launch day systems will have defects, they always do. However with social media being as big as it is now, more people will know of the issues.

This is important. One thing I would like to modify: WiiU released a year ago, and if many remember, there were a number of reports of consoles getting bricked, even by people in the gaming press. Overall that didn't have much impact after a couple of weeks. Nintendo updated the OS, things were fine. But the people who had defective and/or bricked units were pretty vocal so it seemed like it was a giant, widespread thing.

Cth

RE: 4000 PS4s

Keep in mind the scalper crowd as well. Yesterday there was 14 listed on EBay. No idea how many on Craigslist.

Anyways, I'm curious about the specifics of the warranty. If its a software related issue, it used to be that consumers didn't have any options unless they purchased extended warranties. Not sure if that's changed, but here's hoping. Back in the day you had 30 days of software support (for PCs)

pestul

Cool of Yoshida to do that.. but lets be real. Is he going to say "The problem is widespread and we are looking into it ahead of launch".

He's a really cool guy for posting that though. Sony has excellent PR lately.

Salex_

I hope these same people overreacting respond the same way when the first batch of messed up Xbox One's makes it's way to forums, Youtube, and streams.

Cyrano

Ok, I am going to try to make a post of complete common sense here since some are getting worked up, some are not worried about it, and some are straight trolling.

• When the PS3 and Xbox 360 launched, Social Media and Social Networking Sites were nothing like they are today. We were all not connected, and we didn't hear about some of the issues people were having.
  • The greatest built devices in electronic history have had issues. My point is, there isn't an electronic device that is perfect and will work without problems. Some people will get bad hardware.
  • The people that have these PS4's right now are incredibly hyped. They are going online, sharing their impressions and streams, and there is a lot of attention on them. If one system is goin to mess up, it is going to be big news because we all are paying attention until we get our own. LIke someone said before, all the people with perfectly working units aren't going on Twitter, NeoGaf and Reddit saying "Hey my system works great!" They are playing their system. And their have been tons of streams that are working great. Polygon played theirs for 12 straight hours without issues. Shu was streaming all types of games last night without issues.
  • Some of the people claiming to have issues, are having issues. I believe Kotaku and IGN, but how many more journalists got PS4s? I would assume there was a huge number at the PS4 Review Event. And from all those Journalists, we are hearing about 2 units. Then there are the thousands of PS4's through the Taco Bell promotion. We have a handful of those we are hearing about.
  • When it comes to the other faulty units, that guy on Twitch did something rather unique by pulling the power cord when the system froze instead of doing a hard reset, holding down the power button. He got it to work, and it happend again. He was pulling out the Hard Drive with it on, pulling the power cord when it was on. Starting it with and without a Hard Drive. Plugging in the Hard Drive with the system running. There were a lot of places he could have messed that system up.
  • We know a couple of NeoGaf users have had issues, but when you bring up the Reddit users, they haven't detailed their experiences, what has happened, or anything. I do not put much faith in their tales and I would take these 2 reported systems with a grain of salt. Just remember how much hate is on Reddit for NeoGaf and especially Sony. Think of all the quotes we have pulled from Reddit that some of its users have shared, I want to hear more details about those 2 users before I believe anything from Reddit. Especially considering what I have read on there in the past.

Relax, wait till tonight and this weekend before anyone jumps off a cliff. There are so many variables right now to start pointing at any major hardware issues. There are so many people in this thread that were never getting a PS4 anyways, but they are adding their own hyperbole to just make this a huge story. Some people are truly concerned, but we do not have enough info to really make any firm decisions about any hardware issues at this point.
Threads like this wouldn't exist if people were reasonable. Still, it's part of the fun of NeoGAF.

EagleEyes

How else would you propose to calculate an error rate? Pull random numbers out of your ass?
So you assume that all 4000 people have plugged in their console, downloaded the update, played the system and then have reported the problem on the internet for everybody to read. There is no way to even evaluate a proper failure rate at this point. So basically everybody is pulling random numbers out of their ass at the moment lol.

ignata

Wow... that is awesome. I just hope Gamestop honors it for that time period. Like I said, I am probably worrying for nothing, but I just want it to work. I may be forced to crack the seal tonight and give it a try... just hate to open up that console and go thru the proccess of setting up only to take it right back down again. This console deserves to be played on my Sony W900 I am buying... not a 21 inch insignia monitor that I have had for 4 years. (no disrespect to anybody that has that monitor.... it has served its purpose.)

I first played my N64 on a Macintosh Performa 638 with video input til I had a proper TV ready. It might not be optimum but it could ease your fears and give you at least a little playtime.

Mario 64, still the best game I ever played on that Mac.

MaLDo

YOURE WRONG.

We can only go by the reported failure rates. So "dat logic" is entirely right. We assume the consoles work until reported otherwise.

In no way. You have to multiply the failures per day by the number of days in the year to have an correct approximation.

That's the less reliable approximation in the world, because you only have one day sample. But if you want to do math correctly you have to multiply 7 * 365 days. That would be 2555/4000 defective consoles which gives 63% failure ratio.

Again, that's not what will happen because one day sample is NOTHING. We need many weeks or months to aproximate failure rate correctly.

But talking about 7/4000 is wrong in all possible ways.

DirtyLarry

So out of roughly 4000 units floating around at in the wild, 10 have been confirmed (I rounded up just to make things easy and to account for a few more) to not be working.
1% of 4000 is 40.
So right now, it is being reported that .25% of PS4's have a hardware issue.
Let me repeat that...

.25%

I said the same thing in another thread. Issues like this are BOUND to happen just because of the practices of some delivery men. They do not care what they are delivering, they toss it around, etc.

Now granted it would be best if 0% had issues, but cmon internet and GAF, cmon. .25% is hardly cause for alarm. In fact, I would expect the numbers to be higher just keeping poor delivery methods in mine.

anyone with a brain and understands at all how business works should realize they wouldn't want to take that kind of a loss again and would do everything in their power to prevent a repeat

So Sony didn't put a ton of work in their hardware? You are saying just because a manufacturer had a hardware issue years ago (MS) that they are going to work harder than anyone else now to have the best and most reliable hardware.

That makes no sense. Every hardware and tech manufacturer has had some type of issues in their past. By your logic, every single electronic device ever made should be near perfect, since all the manufacturers would work much harder because of these issues, thus eliminating problems. That is absurd.

N.Domixis

Banned
Social media, as seen for the Xbox One since the summer, is going to have a field day with this.
It's going to be worse for Xbox though, with their history, Microsoft would need to build them with %0 percent failur rates to avoid it blowing up. We all know it's going to happen.

The problem is, even if this issue does affect a small number of PS4s, tomorrow is going to be a shit storm of those people posting constantly tomorrow.....not that I blame them but it will end up appearing as a much larger issue.

Also Im waiting for the almost guaranteed shitstorm when the 2million preorder people all try to jump online and update their system at the same time tomorrow and the shit crashes.

I HIGHLY suggest that if you are getting a ps4 tomorrow, download the update on to your computer tonight so you can still play games when the servers get borked from the load.

In no way. You have to multiply the failures per day by the number of days in the year to have an correct approximation.

That's the less reliable approximation in the world, because you only have one day sample. But if you want to do math correctly you have to multiply 7 * 365 days. That would be 2555/4000 defective consoles which gives 63% failure ratio.

Again, that's not what will happen because one day sample is NOTHING. We need many weeks or months to aproximate failure rate correctly.

WTF? Thats some mathemagics right there mang.

Pain

Banned
So you assume that all 4000 people have plugged in their console, downloaded the update, played the system and then have reported the problem on the internet for everybody to read. There is no way to even evaluate a proper failure rate at this point. So basically everybody is pulling random numbers out of their ass at the moment lol.
No ones assuming that. But we are assuming these 4000 work until reported otherwise.

Right now, 0.175% out of an assumed 4000 Taco Bell shipment are reported as faulty units. It could be higher due to unreported ones, it could be lower if some If these people are lying(Reddit).

Now everyone calm down. We will NEVER know the exact failure rare. EVER.
What we do know is that the more consoles shipped, the higher the failure rate will get.

Klocker

Trust me; it will be even worse.
exactly ...the people complaining here seem to be, by and large, level headed people with a pre order of a ps4 and a mild concern

the Xbox one failure thread will bring about all sorts of people who will never own an Xbox jumping up and down as if they were being accosted by Balmer

ElRenoRaven

If I get one MIcrosoft will pay. I know it's them sabotaging these. I can't figure out how but I know it is. Them and their PS4 damage ninjas. It's part of project kill em quickly.j/k

If I end up with a defective PS4 I'll snap though. I will not tolerate breaking consoles the way I did last gen. I have faith though because I had good experiences with Sony. Only the one defect and it was handled quickly and easily by them.

Social media, as seen for the Xbox One since the summer, is going to have a field day with this.

Yeah. I'm thinking the same thing. The 360 failure rate was insanely high, but if the PS4 has problems even 1/4 as frequently, it would blow up to something just as big.

foxbeldin

So out of roughly 4000 units floating around at in the wild, 10 have been confirmed (I rounded up just to make things easy and to account for a few more) to not be working.
1% of 4000 is 40.
So right now, it is being reported that .25% of PS4's have a hardware issue.
Let me repeat that...

.25%

I said the same thing in another thread. Issues like this are BOUND to happen just because of the practices of some delivery men. They do not care what they are delivering, they toss it around, etc.

Now granted it would be best if 0% had issues, but cmon internet and GAF, cmon. .25% is hardly cause for alarm. In fact, I would expect the numbers to be higher just keeping poor delivery methods in mine.

Your assuming we know of all bricked consoles. We don't.
But even if we multiply this number by 10, which is likely more accurate, it's still an acceptable rate

andycapps

You would have to know the total number of failures for all consoles in use. Pulling numbers out of your ass is what started this. There isn't enough information available to come up with any concrete numbers.

Right, we don't know the failure rate because we aren't Sony and aren't receiving the calls about defective systems. But if we were to try to calculate rough estimates of error rates, we can only go by numbers that have been reported. We can say that by what we know, the approximate error rate is .2%. I believe like all statistical measurements, you leave in a +/- 2-3% error rate, which is within normal ratios as well.

fred

This is why I would never buy a Sony or Microsoft console on day one. Just common sense imo. I wouldn't think twice about getting a Nintendo home or portable console on day one though. Those things will probably still be working after WWIII lol

Pain

Banned

LMFAO. Wrong again.

To get the percentage, you would divide 7 by 4000 then multiple by 100. It's simple math.

No one is saying this is the exact failure rate, we can only go by reported failures.

Top Bottom