• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s Frozen [OT] – They Pulled Another Tangled!

GO Frozen GO GO Frozen GO GO Frozen GO GO Frozen GO :D:D:D

TOP of the box office again :D

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=730765

NnMxdyH.png

Got back from seeing this. Really enjoyed it watching this. It definitely is front loaded with songs, but that's only an issue to those who aren't too fond of them in the first place.

I saw it in 2D but some bits did make me curious on how it'd look 3D, so I guess I'll find come 3D Blu-Ray release.

The characters were great. I had a slight fear Elsa wouldn't be in it a great deal but thankfully she had ample screen time. Anna was surprisingly good I felt and the voice actors all did a wonderful job.

The ice castle and definitely Elsa's dress were just incredible. The dress is currently sitting very high for me in terms of best Princess Dress. Quite possibly top spot (if I care to think more about it).

Over all it's definitely worth the watch and one to take your young ones to. There's a nice mix of sad, funny and exciting moments. The edge probably goes to Tangled for me, but I look forward to the home release of this anyway.

Once, but I want to try and catch it again to see it in 3D.

I saw it in 2D but some bits did make me curious on how it'd look 3D, so I guess I'll find come 3D Blu-Ray release.

It looks fantastic in 3D. In fact I feel like this is one movie where 3D actually benefits the experience more than usual.

The focus on ice means reflections/refractions really look great in 3D. It's something that you just can't quite see the same in 2D.

It's a little hard to explain. If you've seen advanced lighting effects in a 3DS game you might know what I'm talking about. Or if you take a 3D photo of ice/water. Each eye gets a vastly different view of the light coming off the material so 3D really makes a difference in helping it look real.

Scarecrow

Elsa seemed like she was a few dialogue choices away from going to the dark side in this movie. A slippery slope towards evil queen material. There's been history with Disney antags lounging around in their free time.

Coupled with Elsa's tendency to be a shut in, I think it's appropriate for her to just chill out in her lair.

It looks fantastic in 3D. In fact I feel like this is one movie where 3D actually benefits the experience more than usual.

The focus on ice means reflections/refractions really look great in 3D. It's something that you just can't quite see the same in 2D.

It's a little hard to explain. If you've seen advanced lighting effects in a 3DS game you might know what I'm talking about. Or if you take a 3D photo of ice/water. Each eye gets a vastly different view of the light coming off the material so 3D really makes a difference in helping it look real.

I saw it in a completely digital theatre with the "Real 3D" and was vastly disappointed. My eyes aren't bad, we were at about the middle of the theater sitting in center seats, so we were in the sweet spot.

Unless you saw it in something different than Real 3D? Maybe the Blu-Ray 3D will look better. I just wanted to be more impressed.

I totally haven't been listening to Let It Go all day today.

hehe. That was me last night. Today I'm back to loops of 'For the First Time in Forever"

When Anna hits the second chorus, and says her "I'm getting what I'm dreaming of!" Kristen's voice is soooo pretty there. Anna's facial animation matches that excitement. Definitely my favorite bit from that opening part of the film.

johnsmith

remember me
Just came back from it. Absolutely loved it, but I thought all the songs were pretty weak, nothing came close to being as good as classic Disney, but the story and characters were top tier.

Just came back from it. Absolutely loved it, but I thought all the songs were pretty weak, nothing came close to being as good as classic Disney, but the story and characters were top tier.

Glad you liked it!

I felt the soundtrack was a little lacking my first watch, then I saw the movie the second time and appreciated First Time in Forever way way more, and eventually picked up soundtrack. Feels like there should have been one more song near the end.

Did you find Let it Go to be pretty weak as well?

Stunning movie ! Loved it !

This song is pretty memorable to me though :) "The Cold Never Bothered Me"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGfIMbNCNvg

Demi Lovato cover? =/

qindarka

Banned
Wow at that other thread

Which other thread? The one trying to hype up Let it Go? Wish it didn't exist, it was only ever going to encourage the opposite reaction. At least give people time to watch the film.

Edit: Stopped looking at that thread so wasn't aware of the complaining about animation mistakes. They are trying to make a big deal about it here too, eh?

The hair clipping was probably intentional, BTW.

Post from another forum that articulates this better than I can:

It's not a mistake, it's a decision. In Toy Story, Buzz clips through the Hot Wheels track by necessity. They cut away for the one second he does so, but the animators were aware it happens and chose for it to happen anyway. Similarly, the reason Elsa is viewed from that perspective is to hide the clipping while allowing the hair to follow that artistic track (she actually turns away so this can happen, then turns back). The strength of animation is that it allows art to triumph over physics. You don't have to play by the rules. The traditional Disney eyes, for example, aren't consistent between 3/4 and frontal view. They don't care. It's not what they're trying to do.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586844&pagenumber=7

Wow at that other thread

It’s kind of a mess huh? I mean people are bitching over like half a second of hair clipping that's hardly even noticeable and the lack of a few footprints? : /

I don’t think some of them realize just how insane they sound when they complain about that kinda stuff. I mean stop and really think about it for a second.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm still laughing at the fact that people think CGI is just pressing a magic button. They cite terrible CGI movies but missing terrible 2D movies like Cool World *shudder* and a bunch of Disney sequels.

I think we just need to give those guys time to warm up to CGI or its going to be painful waiting for hand drawn animation to make a come back in Disney movies, also I dont think it is going to be easy for people to be accepting of Tangled and Frozen considering how recent they are compared to say Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, Aladdin and all of the other older ones.

Einbroch

Banned
The preview for that squirrel movie was...rough to sit through. My girlfriend doesn't usually like animated movies, so when I dragged her to Frozen and that preview played, I was afraid she would be like "see, this is why kids movies are stupid".

Luckily she said nothing, but what an awful looking movie.

marrec

Banned
Demi Lovato cover? =/

I was listening to the Frozen soundtrack and really tried to give the Demi Lovato version a go but it's just awful compared to the original.

Hate that it's on the OST, luckily via the magic of Google Music I can remove it.

milena87

I'm glad to hear it's a great movie. I'll now have to decide whether I should go to the movies and watch it in italian or wait for the Blu Ray and see the original version.

Decisions, decisions.

My only big complaint, and its not really a complaint, just a - characters making an obviously bad decision. You don't teach someone to control something by making them suppress it. If they wanted her to learn to control her powers they should have taken her to the top of that mountain and just let her cut loose to find what her limitations were. And move on from there.

They completely misunderstood what the Trolls told them.

Leeness

Edit: Stopped looking at that thread so wasn't aware of the complaining about animation mistakes. They are trying to make a big deal about it here too, eh?

The hair clipping was probably intentional, BTW.

Post from another forum that articulates this better than I can:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586844&pagenumber=7

Yeah I said a couple of times that it was probably an animation cheat. Guess I didn't say it loud enough though hah.

One guy was all "a good director would have seen that and sent it back to be redone! It's so unprofessional!"

Lol. Yeah Disney is so unprofessional. I'm gonna say someone tried to animate it "correctly", it ended up looking stupid, so they changed it to make it flow better, the end.

qindarka

Banned
My only big complaint, and its not really a complaint, just a - characters making an obviously bad decision. You don't teach someone to control something by making them suppress it. If they wanted her to learn to control her powers they should have taken her to the top of that mountain and just let her cut loose to find what her limitations were. And move on from there.

They completely misunderstood what the Trolls told them.

I think the parents were clearly shown to be making a mistake there yet it is understandable, teaching Elsa to suppress her powers just seems so much easier than the more difficult, correct decision.

Yeah I said a couple of times that it was probably an animation cheat. Guess I didn't say it loud enough though hah.

One guy was all "a good director would have seen that and sent it back to be redone! It's so unprofessional!"

Lol. Yeah Disney is so unprofessional. I'm gonna say someone tried to animate it "correctly", it ended up looking stupid, so they changed it to make it flow better, the end.

I am pretty sure any animated film will have these sorts of mistakes or cheats. It can be fun to point out but I don't like it when too much of a big deal is made out of it.

marrec

Banned
I think the parents were clearly shown to be making a mistake there yet it is understandable, teaching Elsa to suppress her powers just seems so much easier than the more difficult, correct decision.

It is, after all, not very common to have to raise a powerful sorceress daughter.

Timbuktu

I'm not sure about calling it a mistake. It might have worked out had they not died and guided Elsa into adulthood. I would say that their biggest mistake would be not checking the weather before going out to sea. Killing the parents so you can't blame them is standard Disney, but losing their parents was probably a big deal and I thought more would have been made of it when Kristoff talked about parents and family.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I think that's the point though, that the parents misinterpreted and did wrong things in handling her powers.

I think we just need to give those guys time to warm up to CGI or its going to be painful waiting for hand drawn animation to make a come back in Disney movies, also I dont think it is going to be easy for people to be accepting of Tangled and Frozen considering how recent they are compared to say Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, Aladdin and all of the other older ones.

There are people who really think CGI are "cheap and easy to do" though.

I'm not sure about calling it a mistake. It might have worked out had they not died and guided Elsa into adulthood. I would say that their biggest mistake would be not checking the weather before going out to sea. Killing the parents so you can't blame them is standard Disney, but losing their parents was probably a big deal and I thought more would have been made of it when Kristoff talked about parents and family.
People talk about trope subversion, but
holding the parents accountable
would have been truly subversive. The more I think about the film the more potential I see squandered. :\

freshair

So the one part that bothers me is when

Anna goes to see Elsa in the ice castle and Elsa tells her to go away because she doesn't want to hurt her. But then she creates this ice monster that chases her and Christof out and it seemed like the monster had the ability to hurt them with his ice particles?

In spite of that, I loved everything about this movie. Going to a second viewing this weekend (this time in 3D).

The soundtrack is also sold out on Amazon and Walmart. O__O

NEED

Dyno

Saw it with the wife and kids this weekend. It's good in that Disney way. Their formula is pretty rock solid these days. Reminded me of Tangled in all sorts of ways.

My wife and I talked a bit about how this movie re-writes the 'princess in distress' formula. Going forward we will probably see more and more of this in Disney flicks.

Top Bottom