• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs Ryse: Son of Rome (900p + frame rate issues)

nib95

Banned
Digital Foundry | Next-Gen Now: Ryse: Son of Rome

Digital Foundry said:
Short, immensely repetitive, and only really playable in short bursts without boredom setting in - it's fair to say that Ryse: Son of Rome is far from the most thrilling offering available for Microsoft's new console. However, in terms of rendering technology, it can be argued that the CryEngine-powered title is one of the most visually impressive launch titles available. There are points - many of them - where this game is simply breathtaking, with an overall presentation that is very filmic in nature, making it stand apart from the pack.

Well, of all the games we've seen since then, Ryse is arguably the closest we get to a practical example of this theory - and it looks quite spectacular for much of its duration. Resolution doesn't drop all the way to 720p - Crytek chose 1600x900 - but the overall look is very cinematic, from film grain to motion blur to the immense levels of post-processing and pitch-perfect effects work. Ryse works at a sub-native resolution where others flounder partly because the anti-aliasing is quite sublime. The usual issues we have - stair-step jaggies, moire patterns on textures - are all extremely difficult to pick up on here.

Performance analysis of the first campaign stage of Ryse: Son of Rome. We've omitted analysis of the FMV video sequences, making it easier for you to see what is being rendered in real-time - and what isn't.

Ryse Frame Rate Analysis

The frame rate isn't terrible, but it is shy of 30fps most of the time. The visuals look amazing though, as they should do for a 900p/sub 30fps next gen game.

Short, immensely repetitive, and only really playable in short bursts without boredom setting in - it's fair to say that Ryse: Son of Rome is far from the most thrilling offering available for Microsoft's new console.

Ouch.

Fezan

Very disappointing article by DF. they said they are doing tech article but i wanted to read some thing of substance

Fezan

in terms of rendering technology, it can be argued that the CryEngine-powered title is one of the most visually impressive launch titles available. There are points - many of them - where this game is simply breathtaking, with an overall presentation that is very filmic in nature, making it stand apart from the pack.
Crytek chose 1600x900 - but the overall look is very cinematic, from film grain to motion blur to the immense levels of post-processing and pitch-perfect effects work. Ryse works at a sub-native resolution where others flounder partly because the anti-aliasing is quite sublime. The usual issues we have - stair-step jaggies, moire patterns on textures - are all extremely difficult to pick up on here. Even the anti-aliasing on the hair on Marius's centurion helmet is perfectly executed
This is all there is in the article

Yeah i noticed how extraordinairy the AA was in this game while watching HQ download vids. If the AA is this good, i don't mind 900P, at all.

Jack cw

Nice! sub 30 fps. This game should have been a movie from the beginning. Not so good news regarding the future titles if even Crytek didnt manage to achieve a steady framerate at 900p. I'm afraid 1080p will be hard to achieve with good graphics.

nib95

Banned
Yeah i noticed how extraordinairy the AA was in this game while watching HQ download vids. If the AA is this good, i don't mind 900P, at all.

I've noticed that it's super clean on anything that is close up, but tends to do less well when things zoom out or where a lot of draw distance is visible.

For example.

image_ryse_son_of_rome-23646-2061_0006.jpg

image_ryse_son_of_rome-23646-2061_0009.jpg

Majanew

Banned
Maybe they should have went with 720p to get a rock solid 30fps...

Such a damn disappointment next-gen is so far. Yes, PS4, too.

Ashes

Banned
Shouldn't really tag on a video which shows the game constantly dropping frames from the 30fps target, in a piece glowing about the game's technical merits. What was the author thinking?

codhand

who's gonna be the first anonymous industry dev to express his disappointment with the h/w?

graphics still look good to me, just the gameplay that seems overly violent for how dull it is.

I've noticed that it's super clean on anything that is close up, but tends to do less well when things zoom out or where a lot of draw distance is visible.

For example.

[IMGhttp://images.gamersyde.com/image_ryse_son_of_rome-23646-2061_0006.jpg[/IMG]

[IMGhttp://images.gamersyde.com/image_ryse_son_of_rome-23646-2061_0009.jpg[/IMG]

Yess. Still extremely impressive for console games.

DF didn't even talk about cutscene vs realtime graphics? What kind of VS article is this?

I don't think the cutscenes are real time unfortunatley. I think they mentioned it in one of the reviews, and the fact that they don't analyse the frame rate during the cutscenes in this footage lead me to think that it is the case.

nib95

Banned
DF didn't even talk about cutscene vs realtime graphics? What kind of VS article is this?

I think they'll likely have a proper one up later. This was a Richard Leadbetter Softball version (actually had a quote from Crytek taking up a chunk of the article). Expecting a full tech breakdown article from someone like Thomas Morgan or one of the other guys hopefully, with less dev commentary and more analysis.

Also, the article implies that cut-scenes are pre-rendered.

Skeff

Shouldn't really tag on a video which shows the game constantly dropping frames from the 30fps target, in a piece glowing about the game's technical merits. What was the author thinking?

"By Richard Leadbetter"

It doesn't matter if fact's don't go your way, you can write whatever feels nice.

Ashes

Banned
"By Richard Leadbetter"

It doesn't matter if fact's don't go your way, you can write whatever feels nice.

It's 900p too.

These consoles really are mediocre. Leadbetter cheerleading for the weaker console is getting embarrassing.

Top Bottom