• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs Ryse: Son of Rome (900p + frame rate issues)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's 900p too.

These consoles really are mediocre. Leadbetter cheerleading for the weaker console is getting embarrassing.
To be fair, the image quality in Ryse is really not a huge concern. It really does look quite fantastic despite the lower resolution. It's worlds away from numerous other sub-1080p console games being released.

The performance, however, is disappointing.

nib95

Banned
But KKRT00 said it's all real time in-engine?

I don't want to sound catty, but you guys would do well to be cautious to a lot of what KKRT00. He knows his tech, sure, but he is fairly commonly wrong about certain things. There are plenty of examples where he's been flat out misinformed about several titbits.

Resolution doesn't drop all the way to 720p - Crytek chose 1600x900 - but the overall look is very cinematic, from film grain to motion blur to the immense levels of post-processing and pitch-perfect effects work. Ryse works at a sub-native resolution where others flounder partly because the anti-aliasing is quite sublime. The usual issues we have - stair-step jaggies, moire patterns on textures - are all extremely difficult to pick up on here.

Sounds really nice. Why would you pick "Issues" as your title? Everything I read sounds excellent.

Nibs lol

nib95

Banned
Sounds really nice. Why would you pick "Issues" as your title? Everything I read sounds excellent.

Nibs lol

I highlighted the good bits too. But a sub 30fps frame rate pretty much most of the time falls under the bracket of "frame rate issues". Or do you disagree?

zainetor

Banned
Please go to 9:24, 20fps for like 9 seconds.

eh, there's really a lot going on in that moment.
This game has the same dips that gears of war had. Disappointing then and now.
I would like a more stable framerate, with slighty less IQ.

coldfoot

Banned
Here's the turret section with sustained 20 fps, with dips to 18 and 16 fps visible in the graph:
g69zPrp.png

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
To be fair, the image quality in Ryse is really not a huge concern. It really does look quite fantastic despite the lower resolution. It's worlds away from numerous other sub-1080p console games being released.

The performance, however, is disappointing.

You see devs opting 900p (even on PS4) with better AA solutions instead of going 1080p in the future?

jmood88

The quote from the Pixar guy was interesting:

"The industry status quo is to push ultra-high display resolution, ultra-high texture resolution, and ultra sharpness. In my opinion, a more interesting next-generation metric is, can an engine on an ultra high-end PC rendering at 720p look as real as a DVD quality movie?"

The debate was interesting enough that even a Hollywood CG professional contributed:

"We do what is essentially MSAA. Then we do a lens distortion that makes the image incredibly soft (amongst other blooms/blurs/etc). Softness/noise/grain is part of film and something we often embrace. Jaggies we avoid like the plague and thus we anti-alias the crap out of our images," said Pixar's Chris Horne. "In the end it's still the same conclusion: games oversample vs. film. I've always thought that film res was more than enough res. I don't know how you will get gamers to embrace a film aesthetic, but it shouldn't be impossible."

Paz

Interesting to see DF confirm what GAF pixel counters theorized months ago, the most impressive trailer/screenshot releases were native 1080p because they were all from FMV's. Gameplay still looks stellar though, although I wonder if running at 25-30fps is one of the reasons for having such a simple combat system? Slow-mo QTE's solve input latency intensive gameplay issues.

Different gen. Same old bullshit.

Can developers ever get a grasp on closed hardware systems? I was really hoping this would be the gen where we would see 30FPS standard across all platforms.

nib95

Banned

Can developers ever get a grasp on closed hardware systems? I was really hoping this would be the gen where we would see 30FPS standard across all platforms.

There are loads of 30fps+ games and even 60fps games so far.

There are loads of 30fps+ games and even 60fps games so far.

I know, but I was hoping it would be the norm even at launch (though I guess it may have been a bit too optimistic!). I'm sure as we progress things will get better, it's just annoying to still see sub 30 FPS.

Their AA is in fact really good in removing jaggies. But the picture does look blurry. I don't know if it's because it's lower resolution or a very strong FXAA of sorts.

Majanew

Banned

Funny enough, I was talking about Ryse most likely having technical problems to a friend of mine months ago. I told him Crytek love bringing a system to its knees, so don't be surprised when Ryse looks fantastic but has a shit frame-rate and/or screen-tearing. Crysis 1, 2, 3 on current gen consoles are plagued with bad frame-rates. And Cryengine games like Far Cry 3 are also horrible in the frame-rate dept.

Crysis 4 on PS4/XB1 will probably be the same. Shit frame-rates.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

There are a bunch of solid 30fps and even 60ps games already. Confusing post is confusing.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Well MS. You only have yourselves to blame. You put a gimped GPU in there and hoped that no one would notice. It's going to be a tough next gen for you. Always being behind.

Well, it looks like Ryse will be enjoyed for what it is and then trade-in incoming. Same with Killzone. Pretty to look at but pretty meh overall. I had more fun with Battlefield 4 and AC4.

Top Bottom