• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watching TV With Xbox One (Giant Bomb Quick Look)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-watching-tv-with-xbox-one/2300-8251/
Wanna see what TV looks like when piped through an Xbox One? This was originally recorded for our launch day livestream, but we thought you might want to see/hear the Kinect in action beforehand.

Will update with youtube link when available (*may not be uploaded there due to tv clips used). DL here if their shitty player isn't working for you.

i counted 76 voice commands of which 37 worked and the remaining 39 commands either registered incorrectly or failed to register at all.

this is a failure rate of 51.3%.

Snipes424

What I'm confused about is how much praise the bombcast crew were giving the voice command stuff with Kinect.

And then they show this video....

As well as the IGN video. It just doesn't seem polished.

What I'm confused about is how much praise the bombcast crew were giving the voice command stuff with Kinect.

This has me confused as well. I posted some of my thoughts in the comments section of the video already but man, it's kind of shocking how messed up it is.

None of the streams or videos I've watched say otherwise either.

SRTtoZ

Infuriating to use and MS hopes THIS becomes the center of everyone's living room?

Lol "Ass Attackin" on Brazzers HD.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

Jeff said the day after the podcast they did this vid and everything broke.

money.jpg

Tamanon

Banned

Hmm? They had a lot of negative stuff to say about using it for TV.

USC-fan

Banned

I think they were comparing it the first kinect.

def sim

Jeff said the televison stuff needed work and went into some detail about it in the bombcast. It's the general Kinect voice stuff they said was alright.

Speevy

Banned
Now back up.

What is this "TV" thing? It seemed like Netflix wouldn't stop when they wanted it to.

I don't understand.

I was very confused watching the train wreck that was the Polygon stream, after their 8/10.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So a few reviews said the picture quality is degraded when you run it through Xbox. Is this an example of that?

qCbLcC1.png

The ad is very blurry and the whole picture seems soft apart from the XBox UI.

Tamanon

Banned
Man, I already feel kinda dumb using voice commands that work. I really don't want to yell at my TV.

That just looks so annoying to use.

LCfiner

I said it in the main GB thread. voice recognition here is shit and unreliable.

Perhaps even worse, the main xbox one guide takes up the entire screen and blocks the whole image. Most cable boxes put the TV image in a corner and/or format the guide to allow you to watch the show while browsing. this is a full screen guide that blinds you to what you’re watching. who would use this? and it’s potentially up longer than other guides because it’s slower to navigate with voice controls than your existing old cable box with a remote…

and, finally, there are serious framerate drops on the postage stamp sized TV video snapped to the side of the screen.

Did everything just break in the last 24 hours or were reviewers extra gentle on these features? because this feature is not worth saddling the xbone with extra cost. the implementation is outright poor.

USC-fan

Banned
The deal breaker is the lack of DVR support. this tv stuff is pretty much useless to most people without DVR solution.

graboids

Jeff said on the Mixlr stream today that before this was recorded he had very few issues with it, but it all broke while doing this... he seemed to have a very different view of Kinect this morning than he did on the bombcast... seems to be where the varied opinions come from, some people just aren't having issues until they really dig into it some more.

Iacobellis

So a few reviews said the picture quality is degraded when you run it through Xbox. Is this an example of that?

qCbLcC1.png

If this is due to the hardware, then Microsoft set a goal too high for a game console in 2013.

So it has its on built in popular channels it response to. Any outside that, it basically shrugs.

But all that saying twice, three times etc, I would of just used the controller and call it a day. Moral of the story, controlling with your voice isn't ready yet and buttons are still 100% more effective.

The deal breaker is the lack of DVR support. this tv stuff is pretty much useless to most people without DVR solution.

For this, the Xbox would of been day one for me. What's the point if I can't DVR? This is the problem with the console. All that TV functionality but what you really need it for, it doesn't deliver. I'm never home when my TV shows are on.

smr00

Banned

qCbLcC1.png

I don't think it's possible for my Comcast cable quality to get any worse so i am not worried.

Fucking HD signal is terrible here :(

QaaQer

bomb guys were also saying MS pr promised it would all be fixed by launch, so I think yeah, some people were pretty gentle on the x1.

Racer1977

I'm sat hear at 1.37am in the UK, can you imagine navigating the TV using voice controls, you'd wake-up the whole family, and become so frustrated you'd struggle to get to sleep!

Sorry, but watching TV is meant to be relaxing, especially late night viewing, this just seems like it'd wind you up.

SRTtoZ

So if you're playing a game and snap TV, then change channels it dims everything and takes the focus off the game, and only when the voice commands actually work, which seems to be 50% of the time and this supposed to take over my living room?

Top Bottom