• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One "TV TV TV" in 2013 was ahead of it's time

LRKD

I really liked PiP, it's an underrated feature, and shame they took that away. I don't have a problem with consoles being multimedia centers, in fact I quite like it. PS1 playing music cds was cool, PS2 playing DVDs was awesome. The 360 having party mode netflix was king. But consoles need to be games first before anything else. Multimedia needs to be a bonus, not the focus. And that was Microsofts big mistake, they focused way too hard on media instead of games. Seems even now xbox doesn't understand the importance of games...

ZoukGalaxy

No, it won’t.

Nobody buys an expensive console to watch TV, there is much cheaper way to do it, even "free" (providers boxes).
This model is a pure fail, was never "ahead" and still irrelevant even nowadays.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
CloudyUnacceptableEmperorshrimp-size_restricted.gif

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
The lesson from the XBO reveal is that your video game console debut should be about video games.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
It all makes sense for a marketing guy.
Almost everyone has a tv.

So you want those people.

Just just are stuk at the .???? > profit part

baphomet

It was so behind the times and completely missing the mark then, it would be an even bigger laughing stock if they were to do that today.

That right there is the moment that Xbox fucked everything up. Then instead of releasing high quality games to make up for it, they just stopped releasing games. Which they continue to do to this day, and no one at Xbox can figure out why no one buys the things.

MayauMiao

There was nothing ahead about Xbox One TV TV TV. I had those TV boxes way back then before Smart TV became huge. The box was cheaper and convinient to use. I still use one today on my non smart TVs until now.

MS biggest blunder with Xbone was revealing at as gaming console as secondary with mandatory webcam.

Nydius

What, exactly, was supposedly "ahead of its time" about it?

Memory is a fickle thing so I rewatched parts of the reveal just to refresh my memory and I'm not seeing it. Most of the "features" they showed off were pretty standard on cable set-top boxes at the time. I certainly wasn't going to use the Xbox as a pass through device and need to have it on all the time just to watch TV.

It makes even less sense today when I haven't had "TV" in the old sense in nearly three years. Every TV in my house is a smart TV. It is cheaper for me to pay for my ISP's unlimited data add on and subscribe to a handful of streaming services than it is to buy an "expanded basic" cable package. Most of the 'features' they revealed with the XBO would have been utterly useless in this streaming age as they were tied to the concept of the cable or satellite package.

The Kinect and XBO were the beginning of Microsoft's long string of failures with the Xbox brand. They lost their way and forgot it was supposed to be about providing excellent games on a game console. Ever since the Kinect they've been sidetracked by everything but games: Kinect and TV/Media center, the very brief flirtation with Hololens as a gaming device, Game Pass, xCloud...

kyussman

I've no idea if it was all ahead of it's time.......I'm just glad it went down like it did because that was some funny shit.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
No, today it would have been even more dumb, because all tvs are now smart tvs. And the "always online" thing, after the criticism redfall has received for it (and the absurd problems of the server crashing or lagging when playing in singleplayer). Definitely not, and mandatory kinect better not even mention it.

Your post is proof we need a 100% reaction emoji 💯

The main use I get out of my Xbox One is streaming. I had a low-level Roku stick and it worked like crap. I have a Sony blu-ray player and the steaming features are unusable garbage. The Xbox One works like a dream. It does what they designed it to do, and it does it well… but 2013 gamers were like, “enough of this casual crap, let’s get back to the 360 glory days,” and MS (what the heck, let’s go throwback and say M$ lol) didn’t want to do that. And I guess they still dont, and it sucks.

Vitter.

Game conference full of game journos and some fans of games. Well let's introduce a device that plays games but the focus is going to be TV on this stage.

nush

At one point they even tried to line up deals that would have cable/ tv companies rent out the Xbone as your cable/ satellite box. An entertainment box instead of a gaming system.

and I still think that's their long-term plan with the series S.

If you wanted to learn about the Xbox One, the contradicting info in this thread would leave you more confused.

Microsoft told everyone ahead of time the reveal would not be game focused and that they would have a separate show to focus only on games so the boring filler would not bog things down. It actually was the best strategy, but the backlash probably helped the memes to stick all this time.
Microsoft chose to launch the Xbox One in two halves. It used the May 21 unveiling to focus on the entertainment aspects of its next-gen console, while E3 will be centred on the Xbox One games.

“E3 is absolutely all about the games,” said Microsoft’s Xbox UK Marketing Director, Harvey Eagle. “E3 is gaming, gaming, gaming. We’ve been very clear about that internally in our planning.”

The Xbox One will be home to 15 exclusive games titles, eight of which will be entirely new IPs developed for Microsoft’s next-generation console.

“I hope people weren’t confused about games still being absolutely critical and fundamental to us”, added Eagle. “We are a gaming machine that is designed to deliver the best experiences in gaming.”
I feel like no matter what they did they would have been doomed regardless. if they showed TV at E3, but games at the reveal I think they would have been hammered harder than what ended up happening.

Crayon

If you wanted to learn about the Xbox One, the contradicting info in this thread would leave you more confused.

Microsoft told everyone ahead of time the reveal would not be game focused and that they would have a separate show to focus only on games so the boring filler would not bog things down. It actually was the best strategy, but the backlash probably helped the memes to stick all this time.

I feel like no matter what they did they would have been doomed regardless. if they showed TV at E3, but games at the reveal I think they would have been hammered harder than what ended up happening.

Why couldn't they have waited and shown the tv stuff after e3? Revealed with the games? Seems obvious. Not hindsight obvious. Obvious obvious.

What was the Xbox One launch line up? I don't remember them so I guess they didn't set the world on fire.

Edit MS is not the only one who went too far into "the console is a media center". Sony did it with the PS3 and nobody was very enthusiastic about it. Blu-ray certainly never caught on.

Last edited:
When it came out I did enjoy using my xbox as the media centre, the apps worked well and even using the kinnect to pause Netflix was very useful when you had your hands full. Nowerdays though I wouldn't dream of using a console for streaming apps power hungry as they are, the smart TV has all the features you need even hands free voice control if you want it.
Still at the time the xbox one did feel futuristic, and I did think it was cool to get the xbox to turn up the TV by asking it.

Why couldn't they have waited and shown the tv stuff after e3? Revealed with the games?
I'm confused, did you see the article I quoted? They didn't have the TV stuff with the games.
What was the Xbox One launch line up? I don't remember them so I guess they didn't set the world on fire.
Xbox One launched with Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, Killer Instinct, Halo Spartan Assault, Powerstar Golf, Fighter Within, Zoo Tycoon, Xbox Fitness, Max Curce of Brother, Ryse son of Rome, Lococyle, and Crimson Dragon. 12 games and they did a good job given big early sales.

Stooky

Naw….on Xbox it was poorly implemented, moving to streaming apps deaded it AND PlayStation Vue was way better. I was sad to see it go.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
They had millions of Xbox gaming fans super eager to see what the next generation of video games was going to look like... and they got that presentation.

Xbox fans as the presentation unfolded:

confused-smile.gif

BouncyFrag

They had millions of Xbox gaming fans super eager to see what the next generation of video games was going to look like... and they got that presentation.

Xbox fans as the presentation unfolded:

confused-smile.gif
I said a big ‘nope’ to the X1 and ended up getting a ps3 for its exclusives and was really happy with that.

Right. So I was saying the should have done the reveal with gamers and put the separate TV show after.

That's not what was quoted, but I also don't see much of a difference here.

They did the TV show before the games. Doing it after the games probably wouldn't change the backlash because the reason gamers were mad, was that the show had nothing to do with games and everyone was confused and panicking about Microsofts DRM policies they eventually turned back on. So Microsoft announcing another conference after a gaming event would make fans think it's going to involve gaming in some fashion no matter what hoping they would address the controversy, and when the show streams people will still be pushing the TV TV TV meme.

The digital over physical focus was just done at the wrong time for gamers, gamers unlike now didn't want that then. A lot of the online benefits people prefer or don't care about now, many gamers were fiercely against back then.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
But it would have worked pretty well in the recent years with the switch to streaming on Netflix, Disney and all
maybe they could have presented all this in a later conference show idk
Doesn't matter. There are a million other devices that do the same thing. People buy their gaming consoles to play games first and foremost. Neglecting this very important and obvious pillar of identity is completely stupid, and consumers have voted with their wallets.

Top Bottom