• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sarah Bond “Every screen is an Xbox" - and greater ambitions of becoming the number one cross-platform gaming company

Varteras

Gold Member
100% this, though I don’t fully agree with your first sentence there. Plenty of people would love Halo and Gears on other platforms, not least of whom are Microsoft executives and shareholders who would salivate at having a larger audience to sell those games to.

But I digress. You’re absolutely spot on about this being about maximizing the return on these acquisitions. I said it a week ago and I still believe that some executive outside of MGS/Xbox looked at the amount of revenue multiplatform games from ABK make and went to the board, or Nadella, or someone and said “Why are we leaving so much money on the table when we could be selling many more games on other systems?”

In the end, the quest to have the dominant console platform, something they were decades away from achieving even in a best-case scenario (speculation) looks like it gave way to simply doing what will make more money with less hassle now. The situation would be a win-win for both Sony and Microsoft.

panda-zebra

This pic is from the runup to "scorpio". Someone here made a spoof of it that was hilarious. I can't find it though.

It was in the thread discussing Phil Spencer's comments about ps4 pro being an xbox one competitor not one x. Good ol' humble Phil! You quoted my pic and kept getting quoted lol. There was a sony backroom wall version as well "feel every other pixel" 😬 (checkerboard rendering ftw!)

Crayon

It was in the thread discussing Phil Spencer's comments about ps4 pro being an xbox one competitor not one x. Good ol' humble Phil! You quoted my pic and kept getting quoted lol. There was a sony backroom wall version as well "feel every other pixel" 😬 (checkerboard rendering ftw!)

Omg time flies. That is exactly how it went, though. Now I remember. Any way in hell you can find that pic because it would be perfect rn.

an Xbox?!!

201601010099_800x.jpg

Kumomeme

sound great at first. especially on paper. but it is not first time we hear something like this.

considering their track record and how they always trying do things with intention of expecting a quick result where they end up gobbling everything...again..

lets see how this turn out in next 2-3 years. or even 10 years. as how 'good' it may sound, even with their resources... i remain sceptical they could pull this off.

we will see if their newest strategy will be working this time or they would end up announce another new approach again later or sooner than expected.

Last edited:
Very nice of her to inform everyone you already have Xbox, probably multiple in your home so don't buy one.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

personally all of these doesnt sounds like something friendly neighbourhood gamers uncle phil come to push with by himself. especially considering there is stuff that seems to be clashed with his and microsoft statements before and he not such as vocal as company spokesperson unlike at beginning of generation. seems to me all his plan that he pushed before at end of previous gen and beginning of this gen getting overwrited. looks to me he gradually get out powered by this higher ups newer apporach and whoever actually in charge of this. now itseems things is end up bigger than himself and he just can follow it. could be wrong though, but he seems to be slowly fading in the picture or end up smaller unlike before where everything related to Xbox is all come to him as the number 1 figure foremost.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
personally all of these doesnt sounds like something friendly neighbourhood gamers uncle phil come to push with by himself. especially considering there is stuff that seems to be clashed with his and microsoft statements before and he not such as vocal as company spokesperson before unlike at beginning of generation. looks to me he gradually get out powered by this higher ups newer apporach and whoever actually in charge of this. now itseems things is end up bigger than himself and he just can follow it. could be wrong though, but he seems to be slowly fading in the picture unlike before where everything related to Xbox is all come to him as the number 1 figure foremost.

There have been a number of suggestions that this decision was over his head. That Phil himself doesn't want this outcome but the greater executives, board members, and major shareholders have run out of patience for the brand.

"Every screen is an Xbox".

Sure, and by that same logic:

"Every hole is vagina".
I knew it! Boy, my friends are in for a real treat! Hangin with the homies is a whole new balls game now.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Anychance they've copied SteamOS and made their own trimmed down Windows Game OS to run across multiple platform?
I still think they will release PC Xbox brnaded boxes, more compatiable with Gamepass PC. Focus more on general PC titles than console locked specific titles.
Handheld with Windows/Gamepass looking more likely.

I wonder if Microsoft will just bluntly announce that everything will eventually be multiplatform or will they string it along and give the fanboys something to hold on to? It's become pretty obvious that they want to release their games anywhere they can.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Man what a load of shit lol.

Here is an idea. call windows 11 and Windows 12 Xbox.

this way every PC now is an xbox. how is that ?

The only saving grace they have.

is when they release game pass on playstation. Sony will allow it when it contains ONLY MS games. just like EA game pass that has EA games only.

I believe this is what MS ultimate goal is. to have its game pass every where. and to do that, they have to have a huge library of games. which is what they are doing.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I wonder if Microsoft will just bluntly announce that everything will eventually be multiplatform or will they string it along and give the fanboys something to hold on to? It's become pretty obvious that they want to release their games anywhere they can.
Doesn’t sound like they’ll be drawing it out, going by this statement.

bitbydeath

is when they release game pass on playstation. Sony will allow it when it contains ONLY MS games. just like EA game pass that has EA games only.
Sony were against EA Access in the beginning, they only eventually caved because Xbox took it up.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-said-no-to-ps4-ea-access-program-because-its-/1100-6421390/#:~:text=PlayStation%20Fans%20%2D%20GameSpot-,Sony%20Said%20No%20To%20PS4%20EA%20Access%20Program%20Because%20It's,PlayStation%20gamer%2C%22%20Sony%20says.

Sony could remove them all now if they wanted, resort back to the old ways.

*Fingers crossed they kill them all, including PS++

ArcaneNLSC

Ahead of Xbox briefing, Microsoft lead reportedly told staff "every screen is an Xbox" and stressed ambitions to be the number one cross-platform gaming company

“Every screen is an Xbox,” Bond said in the internal meeting, according to multiple sources who requested anonymity as they were not authorized to speak to media. Sarah spoke extensively about Xbox’s strategy of existing on multiple kinds of devices and greater ambitions of becoming the number one cross-platform gaming company.

Phil confirmed to employees there would be “future hardware” from Xbox and added that it would be safe to assume another Call of Duty was coming this fall. He addressed the company’s recent job cuts and said that it had been a hard decision to stop things that weren’t working.

This isn’t the first time Xbox has shared its multi-device strategy. In 2020, Jason Ronald told me that Xbox is “not trying to force the player to upgrade to an individual device or to make things exclusive to this device or that device.”

So basically they plan to infect every screen like a virus....that's so on brand for microsoft

Top Bottom