• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sarah Bond “Every screen is an Xbox" - and greater ambitions of becoming the number one cross-platform gaming company

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Microsoft
:tom:

Sony

Thinking this is the solution

Not releasing quality games

No new 1st party games for a year and a half

Release more GAAS trash

Take 5 years to make a game, and its broken on release

Hire more blue haired people

Phil Spencer

Hiroki Titoki

Last edited:

MistBreeze

Xbox + playstation + switch = all consoles

If
every xbox is an xbox + every playstation is an xbox + every switch is an xbox

Then

Xbox + xbox + xbox = all consoles

Which means all consoles are xboxes

Oh my god it make sense guys

Mathematically They have won the console wars

Jaybe

I worked at a small tech/data company over 15 years ago that decided to put our platform on every device at the time. It’s pretty funny that Sarah Bond is just now catching up with this rudimentary strategy.

twilo99

There's no need for Xcloud when the games will probably be released on their digital stores.

Microsoft already have multiplatform GaaS game like CoD, Overwatch 2 and Diablo IV, now they can release games like Grounded, Sea of Thieves and Forza Motorsport and just keep raking in money from Nintendo and Sony owners with seasonal content.

Halo Multiplayer should be available to as many users as possible as well..

It’s true.

I’m in the departure lounge at Sydney domestic & all the screens are Xbox.

000s of ppl milling about lost because they can’t find their gates or flight info on the board, but not seeing a green x on the screens.

Cyberpunkd

first microsoft next sony.. days of exclusives are over
For Sony delayed PC release is simply a means to make extra cash - people know to play a Sony game Day 1 and talk about it with your friends you need a PlayStation.

Microsoft is trying to make it into some weird philosophical debate. Point is - they bet everything on GP, they devalued their brand (people don’t buy games on Xbox, they wait for them to be on GP), they lost = didn’t get enough critical mass.

Three

That's exactly what I'd say if I was head of xbox and looked to the horizon. It'd make me the head of everything basically.
I don't even know who the head of xbox is anymore. Is it Sarah and Phil is head of MS gaming? Why does Phil have "head of xbox" on his twitter?

It's like they don't even know what's what anymore with branding. As I predicted here last year, the buffoonery about what 'xbox' is still continues :

MS killed the Xbox brand for the gamepass strategy but now they kind of have to pretend that other things are still 'Xbox' to not make it that obvious their strategy has shrink xbox the console to the point where it's doing worse year after year, gen after gen. Wouldn't want people thinking it's been abandoned and killing all xbox sales quickly though so MS have got to tie other parts of the business like mobile and PC to the 'xbox' branding to try and create this positive buzz about it knowing full well their strategy means what was originally 'xbox' is kind of irrelevant now in the grand scheme of things.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Seeing the margins that a manufacturer walks away with trying to support a plastic box has shed new light on all of this.

I'm not surprised in the slightest.

If i posted a 5% profit margin for peak holiday quarter I'd be shown the door.

Just make good games and find a way to look after those that invested in your eco system MS. If you do bad by us that have supported the platform then it's truly joever

Cyberpunkd

Seeing the margins that a manufacturer walks away with trying to support a plastic box has shed new light on all of this.

I'm not surprised in the slightest.

If i posted a 5% profit margin for peak holiday quarter I'd be shown the door.

Just make good games and find a way to look after those that invested in your eco system MS. If you do bad by us that have supported the platform then it's truly joever
Guess who gets 30% cut out of every game sold on PS Store?

EDMIX

Welp....sounds to me like they are preparing that PR to announce going 3rd party.

This doesn't bode well for those who kept thinking all that shit was just rumors. Why on Earth would a company like MS have a whole ass press thing to say no to a few rumors? This is something that is generally done when a massive shift is happening at a company.

To even say something like "every screen is an xbox" literally now fucking boils down the entire brand to a "Screen" with this fake ass idea that its still around and still "xbox" cause a logo or something, that as dumb as saying to a journalist

"Kill XBOX? Sir How could you kill what is inside of the heart of every gamer , inside of the spirit of every gamer, moreover how can you kill an ideology? Xbox is alive and well in my heart..... But to answer your question more specifically yes we are no longer doing home consoles"

You got to make sure to whisper that last part lol

Ya'll didn't want to listen so....yea

woman-yelling.gif

Last edited:

Three

Why on Earth would a company like MS have a whole ass press thing to say no to a few rumors? This is something that is generally done when a massive shift is happening at a company.
Because when life gives you lemons you sell lemonade. They're going to use the engagement from the controversy to sell their wares today. There is definitely a shift in strategy happening though. It's the "cash in" phase rather than the "get users" phase now.

skit_data

Now his acting like he understands what tim Stuart was saying last year😆

I don't believe anyone who says they "knew all along". The messaging from Xbox has been all over the place on these matters with clear conflicts inbetween. I wrote this in November and it pretty much sums up my opinion on how they are handling their PR:

Indeed. Greenberg exudes a lot of the energy that puts me off the brand personally (being overly confident in the products excellence relative to the competitors, overpromising yet failing to deliver a little too many times). It doesn't speak to me but I can see how it does to some.

What's interesting is that it clashes completely with the stance Phil has adopted on an official level (play anywhere, console wars are bad, exclusive games are bad etc.) which sort of leads to a feeling of cognitive dissonace in the whole marketing aspect of the brand.

Actually that pretty much sums up a lot of why I think the brand might be on a downturn - cognitive dissonance permeates the messaging.
One day the Series X is the bees knees, the next day the console is irrelevant because you only need a Samsung TV. One day exclusives are bad and an effort to stifle competition, the other day it's a necessary evil and we need to buy big publishers and make their games exclusive in order to compete.

Wheter they want the consoles to sell or to go towards a more platform agnostic direction you really can't have the cake and eat it too and Greenberg eats a lot of cake (no pun intended).

EDMIX

It must be hard remaining sane when going between
"See, they've openly said it the whole time. I knew this all along."
and
"Holy shit, they're really going third party. This is a disaster."

Like this:

Five stages of grief

This is truth.

Its like, them making comments about putting some games on PC, then a gen later all their major games are coming to PC and them making comments about putting games on other platforms and then buying Zenimax and Activision.
I remember telling people that this doesn't really sound like the move of a company that wants to be around in terms of home console, it sounds more like they're actually trying to be a third party publisher

And for years the majority of the responses I got was that these releases would "barely happen" and "you'll never see Halo on playstation or Nintendo" or something like this.
And it's like a lot of people just completely disregard that the company we're talking about not too long ago was lying about their desire to place their games on PC, Only for that to now be a day and date thing.

Who is to say this is not also part of that?

So clearly later today they're not going to just tell us they're no longer going to make Xbox consoles but at this point if there are already announcing games going third party why would anyone be shocked that they're not being 100% truthful about the whole hardware thing?

So a lot of this tells me that their plans to exit this market was much more long-term and extensive than I think many people people realize. I don't actually think there was ever really a solid effort or plan to ever truly make those publishers exclusive to a set of hardware to actually truly maximize for their audience, it's like they were already pretty much done with xbox by the time this generation started.
Because when life gives you lemons you sell lemonade. They're going to use the engagement from the controversy to sell their wares today. There is definitely a shift in strategy happening though. It's the "cash in" phase rather than the "get users" phase now.
lol shiiiiiiiiiittttt maybe. We'll see.

I'l likely be a sleep for like 90% of it and will simply check in later today to see the aftermath lol

I don't believe anyone who says they "knew all along". The messaging from Xbox has been all over the place on these matters with clear conflicts inbetween. I wrote this in November and it pretty much sums up my opinion on how they are handling their PR:

I don't disagree. I felt maybe they were doing this, but this was simply a theory I've had for years based on MS own actions vs messaging.

But I also don't blame them, imagine being asked to work on buying 2 of the biggest 3rd party publishers in gaming, told MS would be 3rd party by the end of the gen, oh but keep Series X sales up please lol

It means a lot of MS PR was trying to sell software and hardware and let other platforms know some titles where still coming, sorta, maybe lol

I've said this for a long time, they will exit when new hardware like Switch 2 and PS6 is announced as to maximize the most sales they can get from Series X, I wouldn't be shocked if they even delayed any type of announcement to continue those sales or something and be like "next box is 100% BC to Series X"

........cause its a handheld (starts to run away before any questions can be asked)

Last edited:

SABRE220

I knew it was coming but damn its happening, cant wait to play the master chief collection and gears of war collection on the ps...honestly, though I'm just happy I can keep playing Doom, Wolfenstein, and elder scrolls on the ps. I want to hold out on getting a new but the pc and ps combo remains golden.

pasterpl

I hate them
I hate their philosophy.
We all play, we all win, every screen is an xbox.

These are just empty, looser quotes. They can't win so they drag the whole industry with them.
I really think it's time for xbox to die.

They are not competing, they are not bringing anything good into gaming and the industry. They are just hurting it.
360 was a fantastic console. They were really competing. But paid online is still her today and it's their fault. They really lost it in last year or two of 360 and everything after that is a joke.

Sony doesn't need them to compete just as Nintendo doesn't need any competition and still makes good games.
Xbox is such an empty shell of a gaming company and a industry devouring monster, that I am retroactively disliking my 360 and I love that thing.
Goodbye xbox. nobody will miss you.
Your need to see professional to talk about your feelings towards Xbox. It’s sounds unhealthy.

pasterpl

Why they show Palworld in internal meeting…do I smell another acquisition? Maybe they can buy what’s left from embracer and give me another Deus ex game? if they want to become biggest publisher they need more studios /s

Top Bottom