• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

International GAF: How to buy from US/UK Xbox One Game Store

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Has anyone tried using a Virtual Credit Card assigned to Hong Kong? Or maybe make a Hong Kong account with Paypal.

"Use a new way to pay" Looks like they have blocked it now.

Are you purchasing from the console or through a browser?

Tried both with different settings on DNS and VPN.

Chris1

US store is unaffected.
Read the guys post I quoted, he's been blocked from using $100 from gift cards on which i assumed was the US store since he used $. He has a different problem from you guys, just letting him know it's fine for me so it's not a global thing.

However migrating your gamertag to the HK region may work for you guys too, but remember that there's a once every 3 months limit and there might be some downsides to doing this(I don't know if there are any)

Read the guys post I quoted, he's been blocked from using $100 from gift cards on which i assumed was the US store since he used $. He has a different problem from you guys, just letting him know it's fine for me so it's not a global thing.

However migrating your gamertag to the HK region may work for you guys too, but remember that there's a once every 3 months limit

I did read it. We just assumed different meanings for $. I assumed he meant $ as "the money I "lost" on the marketplace is equivalent to $100 and you assumed it was specifically $100 USD.

EDIT: Looking at post history he might be from Korea. I think I read somewhere that Korea is region locked to Korea. Oh well.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I have no idea what the fuck Microsoft have done. Used a VPN from Hong Kong which is working fine. I then added a new Paypal account which is assigned to Hong Kong and I put in HK$390 and it still wont work.

Is anyone here from Hong Kong? I wondered if Microsoft has just put a block or something on purchases from there.

I might make a new Xbox profile linked to Hong Kong and try that as well.

Are you changing the last parts of your billing address? province/post code/phone number?

I have a full address in Hong Kong to use, been working for the past 2 months and worked just this Thursday. Haven't changed anything.

UPDATE

Well that didn't work. I made a new gamertag with all Hong Kong details, I then assisnged the Paypal account which is also in Hong Kong with $400 in it's account. Used a VPN and I still got the same error saying "Something went wrong. Use a new or different payment method."

I give up.

BloodR0se

I have no idea what the fuck Microsoft have done. Used a VPN from Hong Kong which is working fine. I then added a new Paypal account which is assigned to Hong Kong and I put in HK$390 and it still wont work.

Is anyone here from Hong Kong? I wondered if Microsoft has just put a block or something on purchases from there.

I might make a new Xbox profile linked to Hong Kong and try that as well.

I have a full address in Hong Kong to use, been working for the past 2 months and worked just this Thursday. Haven't changed anything.

UPDATE

Well that didn't work. I made a new gamertag with all Hong Kong details, I then assisnged the Paypal account which is also in Hong Kong with $400 in it's account. Used a VPN and I still got the same error saying "Something went wrong. Use a new or different payment method."

I give up.

It could be the VPN that's being detected via deep packet inspection.

Lettuce

If you don't think that India will be next on their hit list for this then you're dreaming.

But why would MS only do one region store and leave it at that, surely its just as easy for them to do it for all regions all at once?

Which is why i surprised that US and India stores still work....maybe its a network problem with the HK store at the moment??

pieface

Bought Sunset Overdrive about 4 days ago with the Hola and FireFox combo from the HK store without a problem have just tried getting Advanced Warfare and now im getting the 'try a different payment method' message!!.

Microsoft are fools for doing this as it was causing me to impulse buy a lot of games as the prices were sooooo good but if they think im paying almost twice as much form the UK store they can think again.

MS have just turned their back on loads of money as now i wont be buying nearly as many games as i was going to and defo not digitally at the prices they are asking, ill just wait to get 2nd hand copies from eBay now.....good job MS you dicks!!

I feel the exact same way. I was gunna pick up the new COD from the HK store, as I did Sunset Overdrive a couple of days ago. Both are games that I just would not have picked up at the UK price of £50-55... no chance. But at £30 it was worth it. Well, if they think i'm going to purchase the new COD now they are very much mistaken. Not a chance at £55.

Lettuce

Hmmm the Taiwan store seem to be the next cheapest for Advanced Warfare at approx £35, will that still be English text though??

BloodR0se

But why would MS only do one region store and leave it at that, surely its just as easy for them to do it for all regions all at once?

Which is why i surprised that US and India stores still work....maybe its a network problem with the HK store at the moment??

They filtered last week's change through to India within 24 hours after HK. Unfortunately I totally expect them to do the same with this one.

p3tran

Banned
Gonna try Advanced Warfare from the HK store in a bit. I'll update what happens.

Been trying for a few hours with no luck. This is such a pain in the ass.

this (failure) is regarding credit cards and paypal being accepted, right?
I had some ms points loaded in HK since another time, and I proceeded to buy COD day0, and right now its sitting at 5% downloaded

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
You can still add Paypal through the console settings.

this (failure) is regarding credit cards and paypal being accepted, right?
I had some ms points loaded in HK since another time, and I proceeded to buy COD day0, and right now its sitting at 5% downloaded

Where did buy the points from?

Lettuce

What other options are there though?

Use the Taiwan store?

Wasnt there a member on here a few pages back that said he knew someone in HK that might be able to start supply cards???

Or if its Advanced Warfare you can get it from Tesco Direct for £35 when using code: TDX-PYXM. I mean just that shows how fucked up DD prices are, if the physical version can be had new for £35 then the DD should be £28 at the very most, yet the UK store wants £55 for it, fuck off MS

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Taiwan works, did it first time. I added all details on Xbox.com and purchased the game on the website. Then booted the XB1 up on the UK region and it started downloading right away.

Lettuce

The Korea Store (If its South Korea??) seems cheap for Halo MCC at £33.80

So are Korea and Taiwan the new India and Hong Kong!!?? But probably wont last for long...but hopefully long enough for GTA5 to be released

catmario

My case finally gets solve.

Microsoft locks my account due to frequent purchase attempts.

I don't know why PBR9002 has happend at first try to buy at HK store, But that's already gone memory.

So this is my conclusion.

DO NOT TRY TO PAY FREQUENTLY IF YOU'RE FAILED TO MAKE A PAYMENT AT XBOX STORE.

It was not VPN or DNS ban. It was frequent payment ban.

BloodR0se

The Korea Store (If its South Korea??) seems cheap for Halo MCC at £33.80

So are Korea and Taiwan the new India and Hong Kong!!?? But probably wont last for long...but hopefully long enough for GTA5 to be released

Be careful with GTA, if they get the Japanese version then it will be heavily cut. I think that downloading it from another location will download the uncut one but I think some games may be exempt from that (like buying Psycho Break probably wouldnt get you a US license for The Evil Within).

Lettuce

Be careful with GTA, if they get the Japanese version then it will be heavily cut. I think that downloading it from another location will download the uncut one but I think some games may be exempt from that (like buying Psycho Break probably wouldnt get you a US license for The Evil Within).

Thanks for the heads up, maybe ill stick with the US release for that then

Lettuce

My case finally gets solve.

Microsoft locks my account due to frequent purchase attempts.

I don't know why PBR9002 has happend at first try to buy at HK store, But that's already gone memory.

So this is my conclusion.

DO NOT TRY TO PAY FREQUENTLY IF YOU'RE FAILED TO MAKE A PAYMENT AT XBOX STORE.

It was not VPN or DNS ban. It was frequent payment ban.

So have they released your DNS now then?

Can you not download anything...even from the UK store?

So I bought it from the Hong Kong Store and preloaded it. It said it was ready to play, but now it's "installing". I thought that was the whole point of preloading? So confused.

Neil_J_UK

Sorry I've not been keeping up with this thread - just bought an Xbox One (UK) and followed the steps to add billing info after changing my console to US (put in US billing address) and I'm getting an error trying to add the card - it says 'this payment option won't work'.

Is this happening to everyone now?

PlayAsia

Is this any good?

Yes, they're a long-time legit retailer and I've used them for all my HK purchases and haven't had an issue.

No way, 600 HK Dollar is about £49 so that is a rip off!!!

A £2 mark-up isn't a rip-off, when you look at the money you save anyway, plus looking at the troubles people are having buying games of the HK store, it's a small price to pay for a trouble-free purchase.

So I bought it from the Hong Kong Store and preloaded it. It said it was ready to play, but now it's "installing". I thought that was the whole point of preloading? So confused.

First I tried zenmate and a credit card. My bank flagged it the first time, so I had to tell them it was legit.

I got impatient so I ended buying one of those play asia hong kong cards and it worked. I stil had to have zenmate running for it to go through though, even with the card points.

I'm wondering if some of the people using their credit cards are having issues from their own banks. They told me I would now be able to use that store with no problem, so we'll see for next time.

Anyone have any ideas why I have to install it now? I'm wondering if they have some kind of flag and it's forcing me to install a US version now or something. Pretty lame. Unless when you preload it just downloads the game, but doesn't install it. But, I haven't had that issue with preloading before.

Seanbob11

Sorry I've not been keeping up with this thread - just bought an Xbox One (UK) and followed the steps to add billing info after changing my console to US (put in US billing address) and I'm getting an error trying to add the card - it says 'this payment option won't work'.

Is this happening to everyone now?

I got this because my billing address was wrong. My actual address with US postcode and state fixed it :)

Top Bottom