• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treme - The Final Episodes - S4 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
hC43J.jpg

Treme is back for a final five episodes. The critical acclaimed HBO show about Post-Katrina New Orleans headed up by David Simon (The Wire) returns to the Sunday night lineup at 10pm ET on December 1st.

HBO said:
New Orleans, 38 months after Hurricane Katrina: Barack Obama has just been elected to the White House, giving this battered, majority-black city reason for optimism. Yet for every entrenched resident who hopes to improve his or her lot – or just return to a sense of pre-Katrina normalcy – others are intent on capitalizing on the city’s vulnerability and suffocating its culture.

Created by David Simon (HBO’s “The Wire,” “Generation Kill” and “The Corner”) and Eric Overmyer (“St. Elsewhere,” “Homicide: Life on the Street” and HBO’s “The Wire”), the Peabody Award-winning drama series TREME returns for its five-episode conclusion SUNDAY, DEC. 1 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT), exclusively on HBO. Beginning in Nov. 2008 and culminating at Mardi Gras 2009, the new season revisits the musicians, chefs, Mardi Gras Indians and other familiar New Orleanians who continue to rebuild their lives, their homes and their culture in the aftermath of the 2005 hurricane that caused the near-death of an American city.

Heightened by a historic presidential election, the promise of economic and cultural recovery in New Orleans is tempered by sobering economics, continued police corruption and the ongoing specter of violence and crime. More than three years after the flooding that followed Hurricane Katrina, nothing in the civic firmament seems to work as it should. New Orleanians are subject to corrupt and brutal law enforcement, a fragile school system and economic priorities that almost willfully exclude the people who need help.

But one thing works: The culture.

In this improbable city, which is responsible for some of America’s greatest cultural gifts, the protagonists of TREME can rely on little, other than a sense of what they can, and must, create that gives life in New Orleans power and value. Here, the multiculturalism that has created and sustained the Crescent City – a blend that is French and Caribbean, Spanish and African-American and American – is a value embraced and understood by those who can’t imagine living anywhere else. By such currency, New Orleans keeps its people committed to it, despite the odds.

The ensemble cast of TREME includes: Wendell Pierce (HBO’s “The Wire”) as Antoine Batiste; Khandi Alexander (HBO’s “The Corner”) as LaDonna Batiste-Williams; Clarke Peters (HBO’s “The Wire” and “The Corner”) as Albert Lambreaux; Rob Brown (“Stop-Loss”) as Delmond Lambreaux; Steve Zahn (“A Perfect Getaway”) as Davis McAlary; Kim Dickens (HBO’s “Deadwood”) as Janette Desautel; Melissa Leo (Oscar® winner for “The Fighter”) as Toni Bernette; Lucia Micarelli (classical violinist) as Annie Tee; Michiel Huisman (“The Young Victoria”) as Sonny; David Morse (HBO’s “John Adams”) as Terry Colson; Jon Seda (HBO’s “The Pacific”) as Nelson Hidalgo; India Ennenga (“The Women”) as Sofia Bernette; and Chris Coy (HBO’s “True Blood”) as L.P. Everett.

As ever, TREME will feature live performances of New Orleans music in its natural environment, the clubs and streets and homes of the city. Musicians featured in season four include John Boutté, Kermit Ruffins, Michael Doucet, Davis Rogan, Don B, Guitar Lightnin’ Lee, Ellis Marsalis, Troy “Trombone Shorty” Andrews, Terence Blanchard, Aurora Nealand, Corey Glover, Ed Gerrard, Christie Jourdain, Jon Cleary, Donald Harrison, Jr., Kidd Jordan, Dr. John, Jon Batiste, Charmaine Neville and Tom McDermott.

Culinary guest actors this season include David Chang and Emeril Lagasse.

Videos and Links:
Links
Poster
XWoIlBz.jpg

Dachande

Fuck yes. Shame we aren't getting a full season, but if this is going to close everything off, I'll happily take what I can get.

One of the best TV shows in the last 5 years. Absolutely deserves a much bigger audience than the one it got.

Ricky_R

Even though I've enjoyed Treme and I appreciate what Simon did here, I hope his next project is something a bit more riveting and tense.

Dachande

I'm looking forward to a nice big collected Blu Ray set of the entire run sometime next year, at least. I'll be proud to add that to my shelf and throw it at everyone who'll let me.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So happy this is here, even if it's the end. I've very much enjoyed Treme. I've never been to New Orleans, but I feel like I know it now, and it's made me definitely want to go someday.

Kaladin

I actually can't remember if I saw Season 3 or not....which season is it that
Steve Earle's character died?
That's the last thing I really remember happening.

Vert boil

♫ Hangin' in the Treme ♫
♫ Watchin' people sashay ♫
♫ Past my steps ♫
♫ By my porch ♫
♫ In front of my door ♫

♫ Church bells are ringin' ♫
♫ Choirs are singing ♫
♫ While the preachers groan ♫
♫ And the sisters moan ♫
♫ In a blessed tone ♫

♫ Down in the treme ♫
♫ Just me and my baby ♫
♫ We're all going crazy ♫
♫ Buck jumpin' and having fun ♫

♫ Trumpet bells ringing ♫
♫ Bass drum is swinging ♫
♫ As the trombone groans ♫
♫ And the big horn moans ♫
♫ And there's a saxophone ♫

♫ Down in the treme ♫
♫ Is me and my baby ♫

♫ Down in the treme ♫
♫ Is me and my baby ♫

Woo!

Ricky_R

♫ Hangin' in the Treme ♫
♫ Watchin' people sashay ♫
♫ Past my steps ♫
♫ By my porch ♫
♫ In front of my door ♫

♫ Church bells are ringin' ♫
♫ Choirs are singing ♫
♫ While the preachers groan ♫
♫ And the sisters moan ♫
♫ In a blessed tone ♫

♫ Down in the treme ♫
♫ Just me and my baby ♫

♫ Trumpet bells ringing ♫
♫ Bass drum is swinging ♫
♫ As the trombone groans ♫
♫ And the big horn moans ♫
♫ And there's a saxophone ♫

♫ Down in the treme ♫
♫ Is me and my baby ♫

♫ Down in the treme ♫
♫ Is me and my baby ♫

Woo!

haha I've NEVER missed one Woo!

kingocfs

They never put out a soundtrack for season 3 did they? Can't find a trace of it anywhere, kind of a bummer since the first two are so good.

Phinor

David Simon TV shows rank very high on my list but with Treme I decided to do the same as I did with the Wire (best TV show of all time, no competition there), and let the whole series go by and then watch it all. Well to be fair I tried to get into The Wire early on but you know the story. Couple of days ago I finally ordered Treme season 1&2 Blu-rays. I hope I'm in for a treat but I really have no expectations at all.

Dachande

David Simon TV shows rank very high on my list but with Treme I decided to do the same as I did with the Wire (best TV show of all time, no competition there), and let the whole series go by and then watch it all. Well to be fair I tried to get into The Wire early on but you know the story. Couple of days ago I finally ordered Treme season 1&2 Blu-rays. I hope I'm in for a treat but I really have no expectations at all.

Just don't expect it to be the same thing, because it's really not. The Wire is about the circumstances and less about the characters themselves (although they're all great characters, naturally). Treme is the other way around, it's a show about the characters with the circumstances being in the background instead. It's more of a 'pure' drama than The Wire. Don't expect 'The Wire 2' and hopefully you'll love it.

Also, see Generation Kill if you haven't already, because that's brilliant too.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
That's a tasty poster. I'm glad HBO was kind enough to give Simon and Overmyer a "half a loaf" to finish the series out.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Once it is over I can get started on this. I'd have hate to have waited between seasons for the Wire and the same applies to this.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Caught up with this series not too long ago. Love it, like I loved all of David Simon's TV works that I watched (The Wire, Generation Kill, Treme, and I have The Corner in the queue). Unfortunate that this season will be shorter but I'm delighted that we're getting it.

NeoGiff

Nice to see there are fellow Treme fans on GAF. Can't wait to see the conclusion of this great show. Although, in true Simon-esque fashion, it won't be a conclusion, just a reminder that life goes on in a continuous cycle.

In relation to the "who will die?" question, I don't see
Lambreaux
making it out of the season alive. Either that or
he'll be hospitalized

Idk if you guys wanna have this talk now or when the show ends, but I'm curious to hear,

who's your favorite Character Arc?

Aside from Chief Lambreaux, I think mine has to be Sonny, I hated the dude at the beginning and now he's one of the most compelling. After those two, LaDonna was fantastic, tied with Antoine, and then Delmond. But there are sooo many amazing characters and story arcs.

I'd be curious to hear other's opinions!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't know if I have a favourite, per se. I'm at the point where I even like Seda.
Although, I do have a soft spot for Davis and his hijinks. Especially his constant pissing match with the radio station manager. lol

Terry Colson

(the above is just a character name, not a real spoiler, but some that haven't watched Treme might not want to know whether they are alive or not)
I probably wouldn't bet against you on that, sadly.

Dachande

LaDonna is one of my favourites - she goes through a lot, but eventually gets through and doesn't take any shit, and I love it.

Toni and Annie are great too.

Brinbe

So glad to have it back, I fucking love Treme, even if we're the only dozen or so that'll watch it.

As for characters, defintely Sonny. Just had a wonderfully tough/touching progression over the past several seasons.

NeoGiff

Idk if you guys wanna have this talk now or when the show ends, but I'm curious to hear,

who's your favorite Character Arc?

Aside from Chief Lambreaux, I think mine has to be Sonny, I hated the dude at the beginning and now he's one of the most compelling. After those two, LaDonna was fantastic, tied with Antoine, and then Delmond. But there are sooo many amazing characters and story arcs.

I'd be curious to hear other's opinions!

I agree with you fully on Lambreaux and Sonny. I still can't stand Davis, and Delmond has grown on me a bit, mostly through his actions in season 3. Of course, I love Antoine and LaDonna. (As a sidenote, it's always nice to see Kermit Ruffins!).

I despised Sonny originally, but he really grew on me. He's had an incredible arc and I can't wait to see where his story will go this season! What a well-written character. I'm also really excited to see Michiel Huisman playing Daario Naharis in GoT next year.

ivysaur12

Banned
That poster is fantastic. Can't wait for this. I wish this show had more love, but it is what it is. At least the story is coming to an end.

- Onion A|V Club review
The show’s beauty is not in big moments, or exquisitely written scenes (though it has both), it comes in the pauses between, the semicolons and commas that make up the bulk of many lives, but which TV has trouble giving full heft.

- Sepinwall's review
For the most part, it's a pleasure to take one final trip down to the "Tremé," to hear the music, to luxuriate in the sights and sounds. It's a series that has provided abundant joy (and some heartbreak) over the previous three years, and one I'm glad to see conclude, even in this compromised fashion.

aristotle

So happy this is here, even if it's the end. I've very much enjoyed Treme. I've never been to New Orleans, but I feel like I know it now, and it's made me definitely want to go someday.

As someone who went to NO specifically because of this show, do it and do it soon. You definitely should go during their heritage festival. The entire fair grounds opens up and dozens upon dozens of local and big name bands come and play two weekends in a row for a total of 6 or 7 days. It's also the only time (outside of Mardi Gras obv.) that you'll find the NO Indians easily. They put on several concerts and parades through the grounds. It's as awesome as they show it on tv. They also put on several readings where they talk about the deep heritage of NO. It's pretty damn awesome I must say. Not to mention the food. Every major name restaurant comes down and has a booth. It's utterly amazing.

There's nothing like popping off the trolley, walking the half mile to mile to the fairgrounds and seeing people on their front porches pouring margaritas for passers-by. Then turning down another street on the way and people pouring some fresh crawdads into a flatbottom boat and serving people for $5 all you can eat. That's even before you get to the entrances. It really is worth it. Book soon though because the hotels fill up extremely quickly. I lucked out with priceline.com when I went. NO is truly a town that parties, eats, and dances to the music (coming out of nearly every place you walk by) 24/7. I've never been any place like it.

CrankyJay

Banned
As someone who went to NO specifically because of this show, do it and do it soon. You definitely should go during their heritage festival. The entire fair grounds opens up and dozens upon dozens of local and big name bands come and play two weekends in a row for a total of 6 or 7 days. It's also the only time (outside of Mardi Gras obv.) that you'll find the NO Indians easily. They put on several concerts and parades through the grounds. It's as awesome as they show it on tv. They also put on several readings where they talk about the deep heritage of NO. It's pretty damn awesome I must say. Not to mention the food. Every major name restaurant comes down and has a booth. It's utterly amazing.

There's nothing like popping off the trolley, walking the half mile to mile to the fairgrounds and seeing people on their front porches pouring margaritas for passers-by. Then turning down another street on the way and people pouring some fresh crawdads into a flatbottom boat and serving people for $5 all you can eat. That's even before you get to the entrances. It really is worth it. Book soon though because the hotels fill up extremely quickly. I lucked out with priceline.com when I went. NO is truly a town that parties, eats, and dances to the music (coming out of nearly every place you walk by) 24/7. I've never been any place like it.

I went between season 1 and 2 for jazz fest. Saw a bunch of the musicians on the show there and at the howlin wolf. One of the best weekends of my life. Made me appreciate the show and New Orleans even more. The show is a treasure.

aristotle

I went between season 1 and 2 for jazz fest. Saw a bunch of the musicians on the show there and at the howlin wolf. One of the best weekends of my life. Made me appreciate the show and New Orleans even more. The show is a treasure.

:highfive

I could die extremely happy (and probably fat) in NO. I hope to go again next year.

Season premiere tonight:
Yes We Can Can

The city celebrates the election of Barack Obama; Desautel opens her own restaurant; LaDonna rebuilds Gigi's bar; as the school band director, Batiste becomes invested in his students' lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom