• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crashing |OT| Holmes & Apatow Make It Weird - Sundays 10:30pm on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroX03

Banned
eb449032d433a70ed9ab5c8e06f5f6e7.jpg

CRASHING: Pete Holmes stars as an aspiring stand-up comic who discovers that his wife is unfaithful, leading him to reevaluate his life amidst the New York City comedy scene. Holmes and Judd Apatow executive produce the show, which draws on Holmes' own experiences as a stand-up comic, offering a behind-the-scenes look at the unpredictable world of live comedy. The eight-episode season debuts Feb. 19. Airs on HBO Sundays from 10:30 PM.

STARRING:
· Pete Holmes as Pete, a comedian whose wife left him
ALSO STARRING:
· Artie Lange as Artie
· Lauren Lapkus as Jessica
· T.J. Miller as T.J.
· A bunch of other great comedians I can't find a complete list of right now. But there's lots, I promise.

30-pete-holmes-2.w710.h473.jpg

Series Preview
Official Trailer

Rotten Tomatoes: 94% (15 Fresh, 1 Rotten)
Metacritic: 70

AV Club: (B) Unlike real couch surfers, Pete Holmes will grow on you in Crashing
Vanity Fair: Pete Holmes Took His Broken Heart and Made It into Art
Vox: (4/5) HBO's Crashing proves that not every comedy about comedy has to be self-loathing
Entertainment Weekly: (B+) Crashing is happy to wear its heart on its sleeve — or, more accurately, on the big goofy face of its leading man.
Variety: When describing the content of cutting-edge half-hours, the adjectives ”clean," ”sweet" and ”mildly Christian" rarely come up. But the measured optimism and reflexive kindness of ”Crashing" are among this show's chief recommendations.

Why not watch this TONIGHT? Pete Holmes is great, so is Judd Apatow, it's a positive spin on the autobiographical comedian TV show. Keep it crispy.

Salaadin

Holmes is usually hit or miss for me but I liked him in this. Pretty good premiere. I'll definitely stick around.

I love Lauren Lapkus. Was hoping she'd have a larger role but it doesn't feel that way.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm not a big fan of stand up or of HBO's starfucking obsession, so the deck is definitely stacked against 'Crashing' - unsurprisingly, I thought the pilot was just okay. It was decent enough for me to stick with, but I really hope it improves.

ZeroX03

Banned
I thought it was pretty fucking great, but I'm well versed in Pete's history so I was already well invested in this story. Good on him for not making his wife 100% of a monster, they quickly establish he wasn't satisfying her and that they're not the right match. The stand up stuff came off as pretty real too.

I'm not a big fan of stand up or of HBO's starfucking obsession, so the deck is definitely stacked against 'Crashing' - unsurprisingly, I thought the pilot was just okay. It was decent enough for me to stick with, but I really hope it improves.

From The AV Club:
I want to get this out of the way right at the top—Crashing is good, so if you liked the premiere, you’re going to enjoy it. But if you didn’t like the premiere, give it a few more episodes to win you over.
The premiere is solid and certainly has some strong humor at the expense of down-on-his-luck Holmes, but subsequent episodes get stronger and stronger.

Premier was great. Lapkus having to be the bitch ex, kind of makes me sad, but Artie Lang makes me REALLY happy, so yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more.

I love Pete, been listening to his podcast since day one.

That said, I really was hoping George Basil's characters' name was going to be Rocco.

Socreges

Banned
Alright, ep 2 made me genuinely lol a few times. Surprised me since ep 1 was kinda meh.

Will definitely keep watching now

Picture Tom Hanks. This is what he would do.
If Tom Hanks were here, he'd be going down on me right now
TOM HANKS??

So good

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Yard Sale

Pete stays at T.J. Miller's place and witnesses a comedian who is always on. Meanwhile, Pete and T.J. go to a yard sale upstate, where Pete forms an unlikely alliance with Jessica's boyfriend, Leif, to get back a prized possession.

J_Viper

I hope this isn't a bomba. It's a pleasant show, and Pete is a nice guy.

On a side note, I think I can speak for the world when I say that's enough TJ Miller.

That's enough.

I think I'm about to give up on this show. It's just so boring and unnecessary. It's not funny, not dramatic and I get absolutely nothing out of watching it.

Television networks should stop giving standup comics of middling talent semi-autobiographical shows. You aren't Louis C.K. and the last few seasons of his show weren't even that good.

KingKong

this show is surprisingly straightforward. this episodes plot was like any mid 2000s network comedy

also Artie Lange fit a lot better because it looked like he was at least trying to be a character in the world and not just TJ Miller telling jokes

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think I'm about to give up on this show. It's just so boring and unnecessary. It's not funny, not dramatic and I get absolutely nothing out of watching it.

I don't think it's bad, but it also isn't really making a strong case for itself thus far either. I find it amusing but I could take it or leave it.

Television networks should stop giving standup comics of middling talent semi-autobiographical shows. You aren't Louis C.K. and the last few seasons of his show weren't even that good.

I do agree with this though - it helps to cut through the cluttered TV landscape because comics usually have built in fan bases and that can help to raise awareness, but unfortunately most of them don't really have anything all that interesting to say.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I like this show a lot.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Barking

Pete hands out flyers for a comedy club in an effort to get stage time, an experience that comes with encounters with disinterested passersby, bonds with other aspiring comedians, a turf war with a rival barker and a pep talk from a veteran comic.

Ryck

Hey cool an OT, been really enjoying this show so far. Pete is such a good guy. I like how they have incorporated comics into the show. Today's episode was quite good. Is it me or was that club owner surprised at how good Pete was? I know he was giving advice but the show seemed to show that Pete was better on stage than he was.

SPEA

Been watching this and highly enjoying it. It's actually pretty well done and well written. Highly recommended.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Parents

Pete's folks come to New York for his mom's birthday, so he asks Jess to act like nothing's changed, but a tense dinner reveals harsh truths about their relationships as Jess struggles to keep quiet.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Warm-up

Pete is homeless again and facing professional disappointment, so he turns to Artie Lange, who invites him to be on his podcast. Meanwhile, Sarah Silverman takes Pete in as part of her collection of stray comedians and encourages him to find work as an audience "warm-up" act, which leads to a situation where he could make a name for himself.

ZeroX03

Banned
I really liked that one! A lot less cringe than the others.

Sarah Silverman was the latest guest on You Made It Weird if anyone is interested in hearing more of her and Pete.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Julie

Pete's warm-up gig on Rachael Ray's show gives him a natural high, but he comes crashing down after a surprise visit from Leif's wife, who pulls him back into the chaos of his separation from Jess.

J_Viper

Solid episode, didn't like it as much as last week's though

On a side note, I looked up Dov Davidoff, and saw that he only has 418 followers on Twitter and now I'm sad. That dude's hysterical.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The finale is tonight!

The Baptism

In the Season 1 finale, Artie Lange tags along with Pete to a baptism after an attempt to cheer him up goes awry, and they both come away with new perspectives on spirituality and sacrifice.

Socreges

Banned
Solid season. The story is just good enough to keep me watching. Love the humour of the show, too, as intermittent as it is. Leif is great.

Also, tonight I discovered Natalie Morales. Big fan.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The finale was okay - an okay finale to an okay season. Not sure if I'll stick around for season 2.

In the end, the show felt a little too generic with no compelling or distinctive voice of its own.

I feel like maybe they should have focused more on Pete's clean humor and faith - how it makes his job harder (or easier), having to maybe play to different audiences than your typical stand up comic, staying true to his faith vs being more commercially viable, etc.

Something to give the show a stronger identity.

Leif is great.

Yeah, he's the best character.

Socreges

Banned
The finale was okay - an okay finale to an okay season. Not sure if I'll stick around for season 2.

In the end, the show felt a little too generic with no compelling or distinctive voice of its own.

I feel like maybe they should have focused more on Pete's clean humor and faith - how it makes his job harder (or easier), having to maybe play to different audiences than your typical stand up comic, staying true to his faith vs being more commercially viable, etc.

Something to give the show a stronger identity.

Yeah, he's the best character.
I actually felt like they played on that a lot, contrasting him constantly against different comedians and characters. That's the whole reason why he got the Rachel Ray job (Christian and wholesome) and lost it (other comedians rubbing off on him).

Dereck

I'm in love with Pete Holmes' sense of humor and his podcast.

I am disappointed in myself that it took me this long to find this show, and I'm liking it so far.

On episode 3.

G7tIhdW.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom