• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Veep - S6 |OT| - Making History. Whether You Like It Or Not. - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
GQD5XMp.jpg

HBO will kick off Veep‘s 10-episode sixth season on Sunday, April 16 at 10:30 PM.

Videos:
9mfpsS6.jpg

A few early reviews:
  • Onion A|V Club
    Like Selina, Veep is also going through a bit of an adjustment; but contrary to her current situation, it doesn’t have to worry about its legacy. Mandel hasn’t squandered any of his comedy capital; he keeps the barbs flying and the crushing disappointment looming closely enough to maintain the momentum in his second term. Grade: A-
  • Newsday *some spoilers*
    BOTTOM LINE TV’s best comedy gets even better (how is that even possible?). Grade: A+
  • Slate
    Veep is still Veep, which is to say outrageous, brash, and very funny in promulgating its convincing vision of democracy as running on nothing but inertia. But there is no new Trump-like figure, or even a particularly big shake-up in its fictional D.C. Instead, Veep’s characters are further removed from the center of power than they have ever been.
  • Collider review (spoilers)
    Rating: 5 stars. Excellent, and still relevant in all of the right ways
  • Rolling Stone
    Veep remains swifter, nastier and spikier than any other comedy on the air, a non-stop firestorm of bile with a deep bench of loathsome villains, from Gary Cole's unctuous Kent to Dan Bakkedahl's slimeball Roger Furlong.
Also:

- Vox: Making ‘Veep’ In the Age of Trump: How the Cast Handles the Big Donald Question
How do you satirize politics when the real thing is its own comedy show? The cast of ‘Veep’ talk Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton parallels, and the show’s sobering comedy.
- Washington Post: What happens to political satire when the real world goes mad? ‘Veep’ is about to find out.

Poster:

RoKKeR

Wow, what timing! I've been slowly working my way through this show all semester, only one episode left in Season 5 and was wondering when S6 was coming. Can't wait!

Show is fucking hilarious. S5E9 is the hardest I've laughed at a TV show in a long time.

Glad to hear good reviews, I wasn't sure I really wanted a season where Ms. Meyers is no longer POTUS but just an ex-president occasionally thrust in the spotlight but it sounds like maybe they had some good places to take it. I wonder if this is the last planned season or if they have more ideas? The show has definitely veered far from the source material (British Thick of It, DEFINITELY must watch) although I like Veep better to be honest.

It'll be weird having the HBO season kick off WITHOUT game of thrones - GoT, Veep, Silicon Valley, and Last week Tonight was a rock solid 2.5 hours of TV.

I'm hoping they announce the Curb season 9 premiere date soon, I believe filming has wrapped.

It'll be weird having the HBO season kick off WITHOUT game of thrones - GoT, Veep, Silicon Valley, and Last week Tonight was a rock solid 2.5 hours of TV.
At least Silicon Valley will be back in a little over a week, too.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I watched it all late last year and liked every season more and more. Can't wait for more.

Hazmat

Last season was a step down from the ones that came before it, but it was still damn good. I giggle a couple times a month about the exchange where the former Finnish prime minister, after hearing that Selina's labor with her daughter was long, asks if she has a small vagina to which Selina responds "In America we call it 'tight.'"

Anyway, very much looking forward to Sunday.

Dice//

Banned
I wish Veep was real life

I didn't really care for the overall "plot" last season. We're a pretty far cry from what VP is in the last couple of years (by literally no longer having a Veep); so I'm not sure if I like the "growth" of the show. But I guess it's better than keeping it as a sitcom about the "misadventure of the vice president Selina Meyers".

...But the comedy is still there and it's still very, very good; and I always come back for that.

very excited to see that the show is apparently fresh in this season. i was worried the show would reach exhaustion but it's getting really great reviews.

- YahooTV review
One of the most difficult things a sitcom can do is to monkey with its basic premise, scattering characters here and there, while retaining its quality (and its audience). This usually happens with shows whose casts are aging — when a series set during high school must graduate its class to college, for example — and the results are frequently dire, or at the least, second-rate. Not so with Veep, whose sixth season premieres Sunday on HBO.
- Philly Voice review
As far as language and content goes, “Veep” is as, shall we say, liberal, as any series ever. Nothing is out-of-bounds, from its infinite variations on the “F”-word, promiscuous, off-color references to male and female anatomy and bad taste takes on the poor, infirm and generally downtrodden. But in the hands of such talented folks on both sides of the camera, these words are pure poetry. Make that insanely hilarious poetry.

Season premiere tonight:
Omaha

One year after losing the presidency, Selina (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) attempts to secure her legacy. Dan (Reid Scott) tries to ingratiate himself at his new job. Amy's (Anna Chlumsky) brash D.C.-style personality proves too much for her new co-workers.

Ekdrm2d1

Thought it was tonight.

My dad comes over once a week and watches a TV show while we eat dinner.

Looks like we got something new to watch this week!

PS,
Strike Back new season

DrEvil

not a medical professional
it's not as funny when they make selina out to be a big loser.

Hopefully they dont beat up on her too much this season

I have a feeling all her low budget misadventures (see: flying coach) will endear her with the middle class and win her reelection at the end of the season or something similar.

I'd totally forgotten about Jonah's diagnosis last season, so I briefly wondered why he went from looking like Clark Kent to Lex Luthor.

Feel bad for Kent. What an awful spot to be in

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I really feel like the show continuing on in this manner is a bit of a shark jump. The premise would be much better suited to a one off, series concluding TV movie or something.

Anyway, I thought the premiere was just okay. It's as much of a cartoon as last season and I only chuckled a couple of times.

Apt101

Outstanding opening, love the way they set up the season.

"A bunch of dumbass millennials too lazy to learn how to drive drunk" killed me.

Dmax3901

I laughed a few times, but I kinda wish I didn't go into this knowing it's a whole new team of writers. Probably gonna make it hard for me to just sit back and watch without over analysing every scene.

Did anyone find Andrew to almost be a caricature at this point?

I laughed a few times, but I kinda wish I didn't go into this knowing it's a whole new team of writers. Probably gonna make it hard for me to just sit back and watch without over analysing every scene.

All of them seem to be at this point.

I did not like this episode one bit.

Chumley

Banned

The writing was a bit dodgier than it has been before, and they didn't know what to do with Selena. She was in constant bitch mode with no reprieve, the previous seasons knew when to space it out.

BigAT

Gary's reaction to Selina's decision to run again was pretty great. Fantastic physical comedy by Tony Hale.

Did they change DP or editors for this season? Last night's episode felt like it was filmed differently than it usually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom