• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt S3 |OT| This peeno grabs back - Netflix 5/19

SoulUnison

Banned
Lillian is a HILARIOUS character, but they're seriously misusing her.
The whole gentrification story line has been borderline incomprehensible.

This season was all over the place, though, which I would have thought was one of the show's strengths, but it just felt aimless and then it...ended.
Character arcs just sort of begin, fizzle out, get forgotten, randomly picked up and resolved in unsatisfying ways...

Lo_Fi

The "SJW strawman" bashing in season 2 was atrocious and it seems like the writers just doubled down on it this season.
Really annoying.

Yup. On Episode 6 now and it's like Tina Fey read a bunch of those "college students are so entitled" articles and assumed that that's how the majority of college students are.

You know what it is? Those jokes are like The Big Bang Theory but for social issues. The punchline is always "character says buzzwords related to gender or oppression that the audience isn't supposed to understand." Even if I agreed with the writers, I just don't think they're funny jokes.

It's a shame, because the other parts of the show are still pretty funny.

Shandy

1st season Lilian was funny, but got worse since season 2. I don't really care about her, as matter of fact I actually didn't remember her name until your post.

I feel Lillian worked best as a presence that would pop up, wreak some havoc, then disappear for a bit. It was given to that fun kind of absurdity present elsewhere in the show (and also 30 Rock). It's a dumb storyline that doesn't advance their characterisation, but the episode where Titus tries to hide the fact that he has money from Lillian is one of my favourites; it's almost cartoonish in how it plays out.

But now she's always there, always wreaking as much havoc as possible, and then hanging around after.

No doubt you aren't used to it but to say its illogical when you completely changed the spelling to fit the pronunciation is a little off. Warwick Davis always threw me for a loop as a kid.

I said it's silly, not illogical. It was also an off-hand comment that I feel you took way too seriously. Unless I'm completely misreading your tone?

wedca

I liked the college setting because
Kimmy and Xanthippe's interactions were one of my favorite parts of season one
and I've been wanting more.

I'm on S3E11 and is it just me or are there more 30 Rock references in this season than the others or am I just picking them up more for some reason? I'm loving it hahahaha.

Oh and
the Titus dating Dwfaun gag means it's in the same universe as 30 Rock confirmedddddd

Edit: Ok the
Table of Lindas has a character that I think is literally the same character at the award show Liz goes to in 30 Rock and has an ex-husband named Gary, UKS and 30R same universe double confirmed

Meohsix

Episode 1
Mr. Frumpus locked the door and Titus opened it without unlocking it.

Horrible. Not sure I'll bother with the rest of the season now.

I feel Lillian worked best as a presence that would pop up, wreak some havoc, then disappear for a bit. It was given to that fun kind of absurdity present elsewhere in the show (and also 30 Rock). It's a dumb storyline that doesn't advance their characterisation, but the episode where Titus tries to hide the fact that he has money from Lillian is one of my favourites; it's almost cartoonish in how it plays out.

But now she's always there, always wreaking as much havoc as possible, and then hanging around after.

Totally agree. I feel that Tina Fey is trying to use her in a role the size of Kenneth's from 30 Rock instead of one of the writers. She's not entertaining as a main for me.

There are several characters they could just dump completely and I'd be happy. Lillian is the top of the list.
I said it's silly, not illogical. It was also an off-hand comment that I feel you took way too seriously. Unless I'm completely misreading your tone?
I'm not losing any sleep over it :) just a bit of banter as I find linguistics fascinating

Gonna echo others when I say I'm not feeling this season as much. Usually I would have binged the season over the weekend but the first three eps were kinda "ehh" to me. As the season progresses it seems to find its groove again.

I'm dying at Cork Rockingham

I'm discovered thanks to B99 and American Dad I love shows where characters concoct incredibly detailed backstories with awesome names. Flouncy Magoo!

I think this season was great, better than S2 but S1 is still king.

Titus
becoming single again
was the best decision they could do. In fact he stole the entire season. Amazing character and actor.

And singer.

Divius

Rewatched the first two seasons before diving into this one.

Gave up 3 episodes in. Maybe I'm just Kimmy tired but there were no laughs for me during the first 3 episodes. I will return to it later, maybe I'll be into it more then.

Only halfway through the season so far.
Lillian is bad this time around. I liked her better when she'd just pop up a few times, drop a great one liner, then disappear. Too much focus this season on giving her a plot.

Honestly I would watch a spinoff that's just Titus in a room talking because the actor is absolutely fascinating and commands my attention in any scene he's in. Just phenomenal.

Just finished it, same as season 2 for me. Enjoyable but no where near season 1.

Titus still carries the show. His intereactions without kimmy are too good, especially his nicknames for her.

Just finished the season. I liked it, was on par with the other seasons for me. As I'm not a native speaker I will watch it again with subtitles because there is just so much that goes over my head on the first run.

And now I have Boobs in California stuck in my head. Also quite a few 30 Rock cameos in this season.
Always watch UKS with subs on as there are jokes within the subs.

I had to google it just to make sure I wasn't crazy. It's fucking Ray Liotta in episode 10. Damn Goodfellas was a long time ago huh?

Ep 6

"Cherry flavored lube?"

"That's to dip bread in."

Lol

that was my favorite episode fucking love titus

"i just need to get some mouth wash. while i was asleep, someone broke in here, throw up in my mouth. he also ate a whole turkey."

almost died laughing

SoulUnison

Banned
I think the Teddy Ruxpin "WHITE LADY!" gag was my biggest laugh the entire season.

The tiny off-hand gags like that that completely break sense of disbelief and show that this is basically a live-action cartoon universe are my favorite.
My favorite gag in Season 1 was the TV Kimmy drags in from the street that seems to be self aware.

TITUS: "...What channel is this?"
TV: "Don't worry about it."

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
IMO episode 2/3 was a bit of a low (besides the Lemonade stuff), but it picks up and gets really good and smart (bless Tina Fey) as it goes on. Overall, great though.

On episode 10 now and it's fantastic.
Girl, I got keys in different area trees

Ourobolus

Banned
IMO episode 2/3 was a bit of a low (besides the Lemonade stuff), but it picks up and gets really good and smart (bless Tina Fey) as it goes on. Overall, great though.

On episode 10 now and it's fantastic.
Girl, I got keys in different area trees

THAT'S LUDICROUS!

Just finished it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't remember much about the other seasons so I don't know how it compares but I still thought it was really good. I agree with what everyone else was saying about Lilian being awful this season, but I think everyone else was great. Titus is still the show stealer, Kimmy is great. Jacqueline keeps getting better and it was good to have Xanthippe back as a regular. I Like this finale much better than the last two seasons, though I fell like it kind of ended abruptly. There were several plot lines that ran through out the season that didn't get resolved.

PK Gaming

Episode 10 destroyed me

It seemed like an ordinary episode until it just got batshit insane.
When the store owner started showing Kimmy the bathroom pictures, I died.

I'm only on episode 4, but a couple of thoughts.

I'm glad Hamm is back in the roll, and
Xan
is back! Yay! I think I'm like the only one who liked her in Season One. The buildup to the final song in episode 4 is great. Also, the college jokes weren't as bad as I was fearing after reading a lot of complaints. So far, a step up from Season Two, which I liked but didn't love like the first season.

Just finished this season. Definitely a big improvement over Season 2, but I feel like they needed one more episode. The finale didn't feel like it had any impactful conclusion or cliffhanger, it just kind of ended. But I'm really looking forward to Season 4. Kimmy is my favorite main character on TV right now.

soco

There are several characters they could just dump completely and I'd be happy. Lillian is the top of the list.

I'm not losing any sleep over it :) just a bit of banter as I find linguistics fascinating

Kimmy's at the top of that list for me. She's basically just there to bring the other more interesting and funnier characters together and for namesake. Every time she was on screen without one of the others I just wanted to fast forward. This entire season was all about Titus and the other characters, and it's what saved the season.

Lillian wasn't great this season, but I'd keep her over Kimmy. :\

Dice//

Banned
Kimmy's at the top of that list for me. She's basically just there to bring the other more interesting and funnier characters together and for namesake. Every time she was on screen without one of the others I just wanted to fast forward. This entire season was all about Titus and the other characters, and it's what saved the season.

Lillian wasn't great this season, but I'd keep her over Kimmy. :\

Yeah I don't like Kimmy much anymore. xD

Oh man this is awful. But she comes in, smiles, says something cute, does something idiosyncratic, then does something unfathomable and makes cutesy/platitude arguements or becomes weird when she's angry. Which I guess is a thorough response... Um, I guess just don't like her general schtick anymore.

LotusHD

Banned
Yeah I don't like Kimmy much anymore. xD

Oh man this is awful. But she comes in, smiles, says something cute, does something idiosyncratic, then does something unfathomable and makes cutesy/platitude arguements or becomes weird when she's angry. Which I guess is a thorough response... Um, I guess just don't like her general schtick anymore.

This is me... It just got old for me.

And since she's the main character and it clearly is her shtick, guess I probably won't bother with Season 4.

Other than Tidus, I actually kind of like Jacqueline this season. Everyone else, not so much (Except for that rich white woman rival Jacqueline, I love her character so much lol)... with me being especially tired of any scene Lillian is in.

addik

Just finished Season 3 and was honestly thought I wasn't going to like the season overall because of comments online and some of my friends who told me I'd tap out by the end of the season. I do still like it overall, and I agree that it being more S1 in structure made me enjoy it more than S2, which sort of tapered off in quality by the time the season went IIRC (only saved by Tina Fey's guest appearance).

My thoughts on the whole season which has spoilers:
I actually like the latter half of the season better than the first half because we just seem to be going from one story to another during the first half, so it feels disjointed at times. Kimmy goes to college, but we don't actually see her going to classes until... Episode 10? Titus breaks off with Mikey and he only gets an actual storyline dealing with the break up until he meets Reuben... in Episode 9/10? Maybe that's why I nearly wanted to stop watching during the church episode because I thought it was going to be another filler episode, but luckily it ended up being great in the end.

I feel that only one character gets an actual plot that develops his/her character per episode, while other characters do filler-ish stuff. I think the only character whose plot consistently developed was Jacqueline, who I really liked this season. (Note: I don't think we've seen the last of Russ, but I'm devastated they replaced David Cross. Oh well, more time for him to do Arrested Development then, I guess?).

The only thing I hold S2 in higher regard is how it tackled darker themes that time. I was disappointed to see them resist this time. They could make this into a dark comedy if they wanted to, despite with how cheerful Kimmy is.

Jokes were still great but I feel like a lot less landed this time, and I might rewatch because I feel like I missed a lot of the jokes, since I usually watch the show at like 4 AM after the end of a shift.

I do hope we get fourth season still!

LOL, I also get the Kimmy hate, but I can't help myself but like her. I think it's because I act a lot like that in real life and I react a lot similarly to Kimmy when I face problems. I guess it's a narcissist thing for me lol.

The boat story killed me.

Titus spraying everyone with hot tub cruise water, aka unflushed toilet water, was hilarious. Maya Rudolph as Diane Worwick absolutely slays me.

Goldrush

Liked the whole season, but felt the last episode was a disconnect from the rest of the series and just seems to cram in the setup for next season.
Kimmi struggled with the future for the entire season. The ending resolves that, but appears out of nowhere.
Jacqueline became independent and grew a sense of morality. However, her ending concentrated solely on her independence and backpedaled on her becoming a good person.
Titus isn't too bad, but didn't think of Mikey as the crux of his season arc. Felt like this season was about him becoming more aware of his behavior.

Toa TAK

Banned
Finished the season, and I have to say this is probably the first time I really liked Lillian on the show. I dug her arc and her character overall in this season (it seems to be the opposite for others here, though) and like the rest of the cast, it was nice to see some growth. Titus and Jacqueline were also in great form this season, especially with Jacqueline continues to be my favorite character on the show. Her obliviousness to others and her attempts to grow out of her selfishness was great. I feel like it sorta landed on a wet fart at the end
when she became an agent (which is great, by the way) because it feels like she went back to making it about her and only her (which isn't exactly out of character).
Titus trying to be aware of his selfishness and laziness was great as well. That fucking boat story lol

I think my main issue with the season is that it sorta fumbles with Kimmy's main arc. First it's college then it sorta meanders
until she's kicked out and forced to look beyond.
I think it could've been clearer throughout that
her struggle was to plan for the future
but it's not such a huge problem that it impacts the characters relationship to each other which is where most of the comedy is for me (aside all the references/jokes that make me realize I have way too much worthless information in my head). Really liked where Kimmy ended up at the end, as it suits her despite the (serious) shortcomings from being in the bunker
and that college kicked her ass it seems.
Anyways, looking forward to the next season.

Peaked at episode 6. And the second half of the season was better than the first.

Kimmy's plot were not that interesting this season, the best part were the entitled college kids. All of Titus' plots were good, however.

Kalor

I finished the season earlier and I enjoyed it a lot, although it's a lot more inconsistent than previous seasons. I liked Kimmy before but this time her plotlines were generally the weakest part of the show. It felt like they didn't really know what to do with her. Lillians council stuff at the start of the season wasn't great but she got better as it went along. Titus and Jacqueline were the strongest characters and as a result episode 6 was probably the best episode.

Top Bottom