• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt S2 |OT| Spiderman Too, 2 Many Spidermen (April 15th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
VDPVUT8.jpg

What's a Midwestern girl to do after she's spent the last 15 years trapped underground? Move to New York City, of course.

Release date: It will hit Netflix on April 15th.

Links:

Reviews:

• The Verge (spoilers in this one):

I still want to spend time with these characters, and I want to watch them grow, even if Kimmy’s experience in the bunker is becoming more and more of a distant memory. That fondness is the surest sign of a comedy’s success, and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt’s second season continues to inspire it.
  • AV Club:

That isn’t to say Kimmy’s second season isn’t as funny as its first. Like Fey and Robert Carlock’s 30 Rock before it, Kimmy’s comedy is impossibly dense, and there’s a thrill in knowing your hysterical laughter is probably making you miss jokes you’ll be able to revisit later. The show is still jam-packed with goofy one-liners, esoteric pop-culture references, and meta-gags. Not to mention the jokes that combine all three elements, like a Mad Men-themed shout-out to Hamm that will sail right over the heads of anyone who didn’t follow the show. Fey’s comic sensibility is referential as hell, but her shows don’t get enough credit for the amazing jokes that don’t require having committed two decades of pop culture to memory. A metaphor involving biscotti is one of the best bits in the half-dozen episodes screened for critics, the kind of structurally elaborate joke that couldn’t have possibly been captured in a single take.
  • We got this covered:

Now that Fey and Carlock have the canvas to run rampant with Netflix’s nebulous time restraints, not to mention a newly devout fanbase that knows the ins and outs of every Peeno Noir and Daddy’s Boy by heart, it’s tempting to say some drastic changes were made to Kimmy and the gang this go-around. But, in all honesty, not much has changed. That’s a good and bad thing (it’s mostly good). The show’s second year is comparably weird and its stars are as reliably brilliant as ever but, if anything, Fey and Carlock simply never manage to outdo their opening salvo.

Cast:

P990PCQ.jpg

Ellie Kemper as Kimberly "Kimmy" Schmidt

A2ENfPX.jpg

Tituss Burgess as Titus Andromedon

JkO5YYh.jpg

Jane Krakowski as Jacqueline Voorhees

USyAq9j.jpg

Carol Kane as Lillian Kaushtupper

Promo photos:

"Bunny and Kitty, bein' best friends...together forever, the fun never ends.
solving mysteries one hug at a time, Bunny and Kitty, two of a kind ..."

Loved the first season. Ellie Kemper is great. I remember first seeing her in that "Dry Blow Job" video and thinking she had real comedic talent.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Cant wait, rewatched season 1 recently and liked it more thna the first time I saw it.

Can't wait. Love love LOVED the 1st season. Hopefully this season is more like the middle episodes though and less like the godawful finale.

Has this show gotten any better at being feminist and going for the darker hard hitting jokes that aren't at the expense of the victim, considering the 15 years of prison premise alluding to the Cleveland kidnapping story? It's a year later now, but this article is still in my head.

Why ‘Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt’ Is Not The Show Feminists Have Been Waiting For by Dana Fleitman (April 8, 2015)

Oh no, now you've ruined the show for me :(

It's an issue, no doubt. I certainly wouldn't call it a progressive show, but because she is a strong character i dont think the show is sexist either. Perhaps yeah they need another layer of characterization for Kimmy...

It is basically a PG show taking a R rated concept, and trying to make it PG. We're probably not meant to think about it too much. Unfortunately now that we have, something should be addressed.

I do think the creators are trying to make it progressive, they just aren't really thinking as clearly as they should.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
In a very special episode of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt...

Yeah, no, I hope the show continues doing what it's doing. They don't need to 'address' anything.

getting a little concerned at the lack of impressions or reviews with just a couple of days left before it comes out.

I liked the first season warts and all so im hoping this isn't a case of Netflix not having any confidence in the show

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Saw the 1st and 5th episode...it's still soooo good. It mixes the right blend of universal humor and stuff that really hits close to home for New Yorkers.

Kimmy Schmidt might also have the catchiest theme song since Ducktales.

Piichan

Banned
Loved the first season. Ellie Kemper is great. I remember first seeing her in that "Dry Blow Job" video and thinking she had real comedic talent.
Holy shit that was her??? Hahahaha

Can't wait for this. Hopefully season 2 gets rid of the annoying dad though.

Futureman

Has this show gotten any better at being feminist and going for the darker hard hitting jokes that aren't at the expense of the victim, considering the 15 years of prison premise alluding to the Cleveland kidnapping story? It's a year later now, but this article is still in my head.

Why ‘Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt’ Is Not The Show Feminists Have Been Waiting For by Dana Fleitman (April 8, 2015)

I mean... was the show ever billed as a feminist comedy by the creators? Seems like the author of that article is just mad that some other reviewers were calling it a feminist triumph or whatever.

The show has an across the board goofy feel to everything - the characters, the situations, the entire premise... which is fine. Kimmy is a strong character and her somewhat aloof or awkward take on situations in the show are the result of the premise.

Moobabe

Nope, sorry, I don't buy a lot of this article's premise. In fact I only agree on this:

The episodes about the trial seem to be attempting to lampoon the way our justice system disbelieves women, but with the extremely high burden of proof for rape victims and only 3% of rapists spending even one day in prison, this farce is not clever or biting enough to make any real or strong point.

The final episodes are neither funny nor clever - or I completely missed the point. Now for what I don't agree with:

While optimism and strength in the face of adversity are admirable qualities, my concern is that Kimmy represents how society thinks women survivors “should” act: pleasant, kind, cute, and immediately ready to face the day. She never complains, cries or feels loss, and she isn’t angry, bitter, or sad—she gets out of that bunker and is totally ready to move on with her life with unfailing optimism and spirit.

The first bolded section is one HELL of a claim to make, while the second is simply untrue. There are plenty of moments when she exposes some vulnerability, or even anger when talking about the events of bunker. Yes she's outrageously optimistic, but to suggest that's all she is is just incorrect.

Thousands of women are survivors who find incredible strength and rebuild their lives, and they do so in different ways—but Kimmy’s model of suppression and smiles is unrealistic and problematic.

The whole paragraph that ends with this is based on the assumption that rape occurred in the bunker - which we don't know. Kimmy simply refers to "weird sex stuff."

he race issues are relevant, too. The “isms” relate to each other and intersect. The title sequence is basically a modern minstrel song, which is racist and dehumanizing; it’s part of a society that ranks peoples’ value and humanity on their sex, gender, and race. These are feminist issues.

Oh boy do I hate this. This is the most outrageous statement the author makes and demonstrates an absolute misunderstanding of the show and of the title song. A minstrel song? Really? Because the guy being auto-tuned is black? That is absolute confirmation bias.

Is the author not familiar with a long, LONG history of news reports being auto-tuned?

tumblr_nl6hojopQ81r51r3ro4_400.gif

Can't wait for this. Was really surprised how much I enjoyed it, didn't actually have any intention before it released but picked it up not long after they dropped it and I was charmed. Had some down moments (thank god Kimmy's step-dad is gone) but was still super enjoyable.

Haven't seen any word about Dong. Is he returning? Hope Tina Fey doesn't appear, I love her but the attorney characters were awful so hopefully they're gone with the case completed.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Haven't seen any word about Dong. Is he returning? Hope Tina Fey doesn't appear, I love her but the attorney characters were awful so hopefully they're gone with the case completed.
I would hope Dong comes back. After the way the last season ended. Kimmy needs to rescue him from his new wife.

And Tina Fey could easily play someone else. I mean how many people did she have Amy Poehler play on 30 Rock? It's all about the disguise. She could do one guest character per season. No one would care as long as the costume is different enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom