• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EW lists the Best TV Shows of 2016...so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagusas

Elden Member
No Beauty and the Beast series finale on this list is a goddamn outrage.

Logo.jpg

Here's to the show that transformed the landscape of television, never to be forgotten.

Is this a joke or not? I stopped watching after how horrible season 1 was. Constant "will they or wont they" drama bores the living hell out of me and made the show laughably bad.

CloudWolf

The Door was part of a run of like 3 or 4 episodes in a row that were pretty much top quality, that was just the most memorable part of it.
Do you count the episode where
Dany kills a all the leaders of the Dothraki, walks out of the hut unburnt and instantly becomes their queen
as part of those top quality episodes? Because that's one of my least favorite parts in the show so far.

Remind me again why HBO shows are not considered television?
It's a joke, HBO's marketing slogan used to be (or still is?) "It's not TV, it's HBO".

I couldn't get through the cringe-fest of Unbreakable's pilot, let alone try and sit through an entire season.

The Americans gets shafted again. Yes, it's on the list, but that show is god tier.

Also, the lack of Black Sails on this list is an appalling affront to great TV. It may very well be the best show on TV. It's definitely the best show that apparently no one (other than my good friend Trejo) is watching.

hydruxo

Is Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt S2 really that good? It seems like the whole gimmick with the main character readjusting to life out in public would wear off after a while and it'd be kinda boring.

iNvid02

Game of Thrones is so far ahead of everything else that is on TV that I have to laugh at the naysayers.

Episode 9 and 10 of this season makes your favorite TV show looks like amateur hour.

maybe they disqualified it because those last 2 episodes transcended typical television

Vire

Is Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt S2 really that good? It seems like the whole gimmick with the main character readjusting to life out in public would wear off after a while and it'd be kinda boring.
No it's not.

It's not boring, it's annoying.

Also, the lack of Black Sails on this list is an appalling affront to great TV. It may very well be the best show on TV. It's definitely the best show that apparently no one (other than my good friend Trejo) is watching.

I've been trying to decide whether to jump in on Black Sails. is it that good? I felt like Davinci's Demons never got the credit it deserved and I loved that show.

Mudcrab

Game of Thrones is so far ahead of everything else that is on TV that I have to laugh at the naysayers.

Episode 9 and 10 of this season makes your favorite TV show looks like amateur hour.

Game of Thrones aint shit compared to Better Call Saul and I love GoT.

Dalek

For the people complaining about Game of Thrones-again this list was published at the end of June and I suspect they were rating it on series that had finished their season prior to this being published.

styl3s

GoT already gets all the headlines. It's predicable to be on lists, so omitting it gets people talking about the list.
Then why is Roots on the list? That show was headlining every major entertainment website and dominating social media during it's entire run leaving that off a list would of brought a lot of talk.

Also, leaving something off just get hits and get people talking is a sure fire way to make people think less of your website, not that EW has any "cred" to begin with.

Then why is Roots, Americans and Better Call Saul on the list? Roots was headlining just about every entertainment website during the entire season run and Americans/BCS got plenty and all 3 were hot on social media week-week and end up on almost everyone's list.

I believe he means Game of Thrones have been on people's list for years now and still get's plenty of headlines now.

Jonm1010

Banned
Game of Thrones aint shit compared to Better Call Saul and I love GoT.

I probably liked this season a bit more then this season of BCS but only because I appreciate the spectacle aspect of the show. There really just isnt anything like it on TV.

With that said GoT has always been an uphill battle because its not built from the ground up for TV like something like Rome was. So its hard to keep the narrative tight but still deep and layered. The latter which I think the show has struggled with at times.

Vire

For the people complaining about Game of Thrones-again this list was published at the end of June and I suspect they were rating it on series that had finished their season prior to this being published.
The article was published yesterday, Game of Thrones has been over since the 26th.

Shit list is shit.

Pagusas

Elden Member
What do you think?

I honestly never know with Gaf

It is? I stopped following it a couple of seasons ago. Season one was decent I guess... I never got the appeal.
Felt like a poor man's Rome.

Odd I tried watching Rome and felt it was a low budget poor mans GoT. And yes Season 6 was nuts all around, everything you expected or wanted to happen in GoT happen this season.

Revolver

Glad to see Love getting praise. Bertie might be one of my favorite characters to come along in a while. She's just seems like a genuinely nice person which you don't see a lot of in shows.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
It is? I stopped following it a couple of seasons ago. Season one was decent I guess... I never got the appeal.
Felt like a poor man's Rome.
It basically IS Rome, with a grounded fantasy setting instead of a historical one, a focus on lots of main characters instead of two, a bigger budget, and more than two seasons. George R. R. Martin was convinced a Game of Thrones TV series could work in the first place because of how well HBO handled Rome, and wanted a show in roughly the same style. I'd honestly be surprised at anyone who loved one show but not the other.

KodaRuss

I have only watched Love and The People vs. OJ.

Both are great and highly recommended.

I will likely watch the ESPN OJ deal and the second season of Better Call Saul soon.

NetFlix getting a lot of love, only one network TV show on the list too is interesting/bad for them.

I'd disagree with most of the list though, only watched 1 episode of Horace & Pete and while its interesting and different I didn't think it was actually good.

I'd stick on there Lucifer (is that 2015 or 2016?), Angie Tribeca, Veep, Game of Thrones, Preacher (but only halfway in), The Americans, Kimmy Schmidt, and The Night Manager.

It basically IS Rome, with a grounded fantasy setting instead of a historical one, a focus on lots of main characters instead of two, a bigger budget, and more than two seasons. George R. R. Martin was convinced a Game of Thrones TV series could work in the first place because of how well HBO handled Rome, and wanted a show in roughly the same style. I'd honestly be surprised at anyone who loved one show but not the other.

Now you've got me interested in watching Rome.

The Americans should be higher.

Honestly it should be #1 regular show. Though some of the miniseries like OJ Made in America might deserve higher.

It's the best show on TV and the most recent season was absolutely amazing. It hits it out of the park on so many levels. I wish more people watched it.

Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys are incredible but the acting overall is top notch. Russell in particular can be absolutely terrifying.

KodaRuss

The Night Manager?

I really liked the Night Manager but they should have just made it 10 episodes or cut some stuff out. The episodes just felt so long. That would be my only complaint, other than that it was fantastic (Hiddleston and Laurie were awesome in it).

American Crime Story OJ was one of the biggest surprises for me given how little I thought I cared about the subject matter. I thought it was an almost perfect season. And while it could have been dry and boring if done poorly I thought it was a lot of fun with some great casting and memorable performances.

30 for 30 is really good too. Only seen the first episode but I am hooked so far.

jm89

I haven't watched any of these i'm so out of touch.

Shows i'm into barely anybody watches and ends up getting cancelled :(

So? Am I supposed to care? Especially since Season 5 cleaned up at the Emmys and that was an atrocious season?

It.....wasn't though? By GoT standards maybe but not in terms of actual quality. That's why we have things like awards to give a consensus

You realize it is going to NUKE at Emmy Season right? Season 5 already did and 6 was miles better

I definitely think you're vastly underrating the universal acclaim that Roots and People vs OJ received as well as their high ratings coupled with the fact as you noted Season 5 already cleaned up.

DedValve

Banned
Im confused isnt roots a really old show? I remember my mom having the entire series on DVD years ago when I was a kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom