• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EW lists the Best TV Shows of 2016...so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

http://www.ew.com/gallery/best-shows-2016-so-far/2649963_unbreakable-kimmy-schmidt-netflix

It's a slideshow-so feel free to visit to get all their commentary-I'll post a few choice words on my personal favorites so far.

1. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Netflix)
kdflsfsfsfs_0.jpg

Kimmy (Ellie Kemper) fixed her busted "happy place," Titus (Tituss Burgess) confronted his guilt and fears, Jacqueline (Jane Krakowski) addressed her profound wrongness. This is season 2 of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt — smarter, bolder, more LOL-gonzo than the first, and about the importance of being breakable and remakeable. Creators Tina Fey and Robert Carlock crafted a well-designed season built to a hilarious, emotionally complex, audaciously meta climax. They even improved the risky joke of Jacqueline's Native American heritage by taking it more seriously — we'll never cheer for the Washington Redskins again.

2. Roots (History, A&E, Lifetime, LMN)

3. The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story (FX)
ACS_37-copy_0.jpg

It's hard to imagine that a miniseries could be as gripping as the real-life trial of the century. But American Crime Story felt like a national news event in itself. From the moment it opened with the beating of Rodney King, a scene that hit hard in the age of Black Lives Matter, it was chillingly relevant, and the smallest details about the lawyers' decisions revealed so much about the legal system. Sarah Paulson and Courtney B. Vance rescued their characters from caricature, showing how conflicted Marcia Clark and Johnnie Cochran were as they argued about what justice really means. Is it about honoring victims, or taking a stand against institutional racism? The finale was a haunting reminder that Americans are still divided.

4. O.J. Made In America (ABC/ESPN)
OJ-USC_Pic_0.jpg

If TV has proved anything so far this year, it's that O.J. Simpson might be the quintessential lens for examining American culture. (Well, Simpson and Donald Trump, obviously.) Ezra Edelman's relentlessly juicy 10-hour, five-part documentary epic deconstructs the icon and the city that made him. What results is a richly reported and insightful meditation on race, identity, and the chase of transcendence through fame. But the power lies in the shattering, often squirmy spectacle of Simpson's friends and enemies wrestling with their consciences — or trying to avoid it.

5. Love (Netflix)
6. Lady Dynamite (Netflix)
7. Horace and Pete (LouisCK.net)
8. Better Call Saul (AMC)
9. The Americans (FX)
10. American Crime (ABC)

It's weird to have 2 high-profile shows about OJ Simpson in 2016-but both are absolutely fucking stellar in their own rights.

Out of those I have seen Love and Unbreakable. Both are good, I would have to review what I have watched to make a list though.

SpaceWolf

Banned
No Beauty and the Beast series finale on this list is a goddamn outrage.

Logo.jpg

Here's to the show that transformed the landscape of television, never to be forgotten.

Prompto

Banned
I still need to see Kimmy Schmidt and Roots but I'm happy The People vs OJ and The Americans made the list. Both are my top 2 this year so far

redfox088

Banned
Game of thrones just had its best season since season 3 imo, but the best episodes were at the beginning and at the end of this was decided and written during that dull month then I can understand its omission.

Dalek

Game of thrones just had its best season since season 3 imo, but the best episodes were at the beginning and at the end of this was decided and written during that dull month then I can understand its omission.

Looks like this was written at the end of June.

SpaceWolf

Banned
For the people insinuating Game of Thrones should be included on the list this year...

45644da3d8e94dd0cdccd4dd1ec974d7.gif

There's still a certain bafflingly written subplot that's still dragging it down.

Of the TV shows I watched this year here is how it went for me:

1. Better Call Saul S2 - This show truly felt like Breaking Bad for me this season.
2. Game of Thrones S6 - Had the saddest moment I seen in TV ever.
3. Daredevil S2 - Not as good as the first season in terms of fights, but everything else was an improvement. The last few episodes were a little too messy for my taste
4. Silicon Valley S3 - Just strikes the right balance between Technology satire and humor for me.
5. The Walking Dead S6.2 - Poor season all around. It has spots where it seemed it was going to shine. Surprisingly the finale didn't bother me as much as most people.

Dennis

Banned
Game of Thrones is so far ahead of everything else that is on TV that I have to laugh at the naysayers.

Episode 9 and 10 of this season makes your favorite TV show looks like amateur hour.

Roots is incredible. Each episode feels like it's own feature length film. I recommend everybody to watch it when they get a chance. And despite all the fucked up stuff that occurs, it doesn't feel anywhere near depressing as 12 years of Slave, because there's a sense of strength, inspiration, perseverance, and spirit that thematically runs through it.

I still have to catch The People vs OJ.

TDLink

For the people insinuating Game of Thrones should be included on the list this year...

There's still a certain bafflingly written subplot that's still dragging it down.

This isn't a bad list at all. It's pretty good, but Game of Thrones definitely should be on it. This was probably the best season the show has done. Better narrative, better direction, great new music, good acting as usual. I think the very first episode was the only weak one in the entire set this time around.

And that Dorne plot line was featured in maybe 4 minutes of the entire season. It wasn't like last year where it was a major component of the show.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
This person hates HBO

Silicon Valley, Veep and GOT are all better than most of that list - and Kimmy Schmidt had a pretty lackluster S2.

Future

Wow people love Schmidt? I tried to get into it but it loses me

And that Louis CK thing is actually that good?

Game of Thrones is so far ahead of everything else that is on TV that I have to laugh at the naysayers.

Episode 9 and 10 of this season makes your favorite TV show looks like amateur hour.

No doubt episodes 9 and 10 were 2 of the best episodes in the history of television. It's going to do work at the Emmy's this year

CloudWolf

No GoT S6 ? WTF Really ? That was the best season of the entire series :eek:
It wasn't, the last two episodes and The Door were excellent but the rest wasn't anything special (and sometimes even cringeworthy). We've had seasons where every episode was pretty much perfect (1 and 3). This season was a great return to form after the abysmal fifth season, though.

Vire

I've seen most of these shows and Game of Thrones and Veep were better than all of them.

Horrible list.

McDougles

Where is Game of Thrones?

No GoT S6 ? WTF Really ? That was the best season of the entire series :eek:

I've seen most of these shows and Game of Thrones and Veep were better than all of them.

Horrible list.

It's not TV; it's HBO.

TDLink

It didn't, the last two episodes and The Door were excellent but the rest wasn't anything special (and sometimes even cringeworthy). We've had seasons where every episode was pretty much perfect (1 and 3). This season was a great return to form after the abysmal fifth season, though.

The Door was part of a run of like 3 or 4 episodes in a row that were pretty much top quality, that was just the most memorable part of it.

Strax

First half of Kimmy Schmidt Season 1 is a bit uneven but it's pretty solid from there on out.

Wut. Kimmy Schmidt fell off cliff the moment (ep.9) her stepdad showed up. I've never seen a show drop in quality so fast. It went from "This might become my fav. show" to "I'll dislike everybody in this for years"

blackw0lf

The Americans should be higher.

Honestly it should be #1 regular show. Though some of the miniseries like OJ Made in America might deserve higher.

I really really really liked Love. Hope Netflix is doing season 2.

They're already hard at work on it. IIRC, the show was picked up for 2 seasons from the get go. I remember Paul Rust saying the they were already working on season 2 when promoting season 1 on Comedy Bang Bang.

Galang

Banned

You can use this criticism against pretty much every longer series in existence. Game of Thrones definitely belongs on here, overhyped or not

Jonm1010

Banned

As good as I thought this season was after I kinda thought it would fall off a cliff(and looked to be heading that way last season) this is a show that has always needed about 2-3 more episodes a season. Just to let some of the story breathe a bit and add more depth.

Many of the intricate competing storylines that Martin has woven really haven't been done justice because everything just feels so rushed.

They have whittled down and consolidated the cast a good bit so it has helped a lot, but for instance Dorne as you say(and I would argue to an extent Arya recently) is a glaring reflection of the need for a few more world building and side story fleshing out episodes. That and the whole crown vs the church vs the people dynamic was done very shallowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom