• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt S3 |OT| This peeno grabs back - Netflix 5/19

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
vYLeS69.jpg

What's a Midwestern girl to do after she's spent the last 15 years trapped underground? Move to New York City, of course.

Release date: May 19th.

Spoilers: For two weeks, you should spoiler tag any spoilers while also marking the episode you are talking about (i.e. episode 4:
Kimmy did what?
)

Links:

Reviews:

• Den of Geek:

With that many options, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt has to do a lot to keep up with the comedy Jones’s. It has to be meta like Rick and Morty. It has to be melancholy like BoJack Horseman. It has to be hyper plot-focused like Silicon Valley. It has to come to my house and do my damn dishes because I’m a valued content consumer and I said so.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is precisely none of those things. It has some moments of emotional resonance but they are often just barebones enough for a season to have a believable arc. It isn’t that concerned with how tightly plotted its stories are or how groundbreaking its format is. On paper Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt shouldn’t be keeping up with the comedy Jones’s.

Still Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt season 3 does keep pace with the TV comedy arms race for one simple reason: it’s really, really, really funny.
  • We Got This Covered:

That’s maybe more evident than ever in the show’s third season, which feels more cohesively satisfying as a consistent story (or the six episodes I’ve seen of it) than anything that’s come before. Although season 1 remains the home of the best gags and season 2 had slightly more focused arcs, season 3 combines these two things into what feels like classic, bingeable, endlessly quotable Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.
  • AV Club:

TV’s premier live-action cartoon has a bit of spectacle up its sleeve for season three. The heavily publicized Lemonade parody in episode two is no joke, a reverent homage that also takes into account the fact that Titus’ cash and creative reserves fall somewhat short of Beyoncé’s. The show also continues to attract top-flight guest talent, folding Laura Dern and Daveed Diggs into its collection of Big Apple dingbats, the former’s weirdo energy—as Wendy, the reverend’s new fiancée—an especially inspired match for the show. There are comments on feminism, campus culture, and racist sports mascots, and slightly more riffs on the 2016 presidential election than the creators have implied, not all of which—as a result of the show’s 360-degree joke-spray—hit their mark. But it retains a distinct method of nesting jokes within jokes, like the way Titus’ version of “Hold Up” calls back to previous mentions of a Grease cast recording and “an audio tape of commercials I use as a shopping list.”
  • Entertainment Weekly:

In these meta-mad times, few shows talk back to the world with greater hilarity and provocation than Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. The new season of the satirical fantasia starring Ellie Kemper as a candy colored “cartoon person” trying to stay sweet while getting real in a mad, demeaning world is no exception. The storytelling gobbles up hot topic politics, entertainment, and social issues like candy and burps them up as laughing gas with sweet-and-sour sting that make you laugh or wince or both. Creators Tina Fey and Robert Carlock mock, among many things, the romantic notion that our culture can teach, improve, and refine us, even as they pine for it. One typically complex, that’s-so-wrong bit finds Titus Andromedon (Tituss Burgess), still desperate for stardom (and flailing for a paying job), auditioning for Sesame Street on HBO – and tempted to self-debasement on the casting couch of a puppet named Mr. Frumpus. Somewhere, Mr. Rogers weeps.

Cast:

P990PCQ.jpg

Ellie Kemper as Kimberly "Kimmy" Schmidt

A2ENfPX.jpg

Tituss Burgess as Titus Andromedon

JkO5YYh.jpg

Jane Krakowski as Jacqueline Voorhees

USyAq9j.jpg

Carol Kane as Lillian Kaushtupper

Promo photos:

Slygmous

Oh damn, I just introduced this show to my sister a couple of months ago (she loved it) and whined to her about how S3 was nowhere in sight.

This is my favourite show on Netflix.

SoulUnison

Banned
Netflix shows always seem to just sort of sneak up on you and happen, but I guess it's better than dying of anticipation for weeks on end.

Almost time to try to pace the season, end up binging it in a night or two, and then feel sad until sometime next year, ratings willing.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
First half of S2 was a real drop in quality from S1 for me. Still watchable but I loved S1. I really enjoyed Tina Fey's Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Drunk psychiatrist tho.

Looking forward to S3.

While Season 2 was overall weaker than Season 1, the Jeff Goldblum episode was my favorite episode of anything on Netflix last year.

MarkusRJR

My most anticipated show so far this year! Gonna rewatch the first two seasons before I get around to S3 though.

In regards to S1 vs S2, I think the first season had higher highs and lower lows than season 2. The second season was much more consistent in quality.

Which one had the reoccurring Robot joke? I feel like it was the peak.

------------

"Ground control to Major confusion"

"It was a major bangfest"

Are two of the most brilliantly delivered jokes of any sitcom to me.

Titus is a national treasure.

Also, the "think about it" with the beared coconut. Goddamn what an amazing show.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
I missed the theme song so much (and the show, I guess). It's the happiest song on earth. It could probably cure cancer.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Lol @ Titus' DANCE MOM license plate

"ugh, what a disaster."

"Oh, I've been there. You fall asleep dreaming you're french kissing Ryan Seacrest and then you wake up and it's two rats fighting over a hard boiled egg in your mouth."

Laughing my ass off in Episode 2.

That Beyonce parody.

Like when you take a sip of water and it turns out to be sprite.
Lilian dancing cracks me up
... in your sho-o-orts lmao

jrush64

Banned
I'm watching Season 1 again right now and I can't believe how funny it is. I just finished the dinner party episode.

Top Bottom