• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt S2 |OT| Spiderman Too, 2 Many Spidermen (April 15th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
Finally got around to finishing it.

Titus and Mikey were the highlight of this season. It was cute and it worked. Plus his grandmother at the family dinner omg

I honestly don't care about Kimmy but I do love how Titus gets impatient with her. "Did you read the flash cards?"
"I did but they're all about Tyrese."

Plus his nicknames Kimstagram and Kimbecile

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Cate Blanchet joke in episode 8 killed me

Oh shit its
David Cross
<3

"I like Cindy. She's who I got when I took the Mole Women quiz. You were Gretchen."
" Kimmy, I don't know what to say. But I'm hoping the tone of my voice makes you think that I do, okay? "

Jacqueline's... weird friend is annoying as fuck though.

Yeah she is, I hope she's written out.

I really enjoyed this season, I think most jokes were better than season 1 but season 1 had better plots.

Also wish there were more episodes, it felt so short and now there's another year of waiting, ugh.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Joshua Jackson
too? These cameos :eek:

Edit: holy shit

"Haha women ARE funny, take that original Ghostbusters"

Also Tina Fey <3 I wish 30 Rock was on netflix I would totally rewatch that

Edit2: Tina Fey's new character is the best thing in season 2

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah she is, I hope she's written out.

I really enjoyed this season, I think most jokes were better than season 1 but season 1 had better plots.

Also wish there were more episodes, it felt so short and now there's another year of waiting, ugh.

I didn't mind her. It does feel like they listened to last season's feedback and cut Randy.

Piichan

Banned
This is such an easy show to binge watch. Season 2 hasn't been out for a week yet and I'm finished already lol. Sad it's finished, but still so much better than waiting for a new episode every week.

Man I love the Netflix business model.

I've seen some comments in this thread mentioning they're not a fan of Lilian. I have to disagree, I think she's hilarious. It's true though that her storyline could be better. I hope next season will have something more meaningful than her not being able to cope with the neighborhood changing.

Joshua Jackson
too? These cameos :eek:

Edit: holy shit

"Haha women ARE funny, take that original Ghostbusters"

Also Tina Fey <3 I wish 30 Rock was on netflix I would totally rewatch that

Edit2: Tina Fey's new character is the best thing in season 2

I've got good news for you. 30 Rock is on Netflix! Or it was when I rewatched it a few months ago.

Sunster

episode 3 was kinda weird though right? they kinda went out of their way to characterize asian american activists as irrational complainers who don't even know what they are mad about. idk, i just got the feeling the writing there was a little... personal.

Some of you are crazy. Amy Sedaris is hilarious in this. Also loved the
Will Arnett, Dean Winters and Steve Buscemi voice cameos
. There is so much crossover between this show and 30 Rock that it's hilarious. Plus it's a nice bonus that both shows shoot 100 jokes per minute at you.

tauroxd

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt’s third season will take a little longer than usual

Better make some extra pancakes, because the third season of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is going to take a little longer to get here than the previous two. The delay—announced yesterday by Tina Fey at the Tribeca Film Festival—owes to a couple of different factors. One is the tiny, presumably very optimistic person gestating inside star Ellie Kemper at the moment, while the other is Fey’s own Titus Andromedon-like passion for The Great White Way.

Fey has been teasing a Broadway adaptation of her 2004 hit Mean Girls for years now, but apparently the timing of Kemper’s pregnancy has given Fey and composer husband, Jeff Richmond, an opportunity to work on the project full time. Fans of the film will be happy to know that Fey isn’t changing much (beyond all the singing and dancing, presumably). When the interviewer asked her whether Mean Girls: The Musical would incorporate the social media revolution and the ways it’s radically altered the biosphere of teenage gossip, Fey responded with, “The thing about social media is, it doesn’t dramatize well.” Which isn’t our experience, given how easily people on Twitter seem to generate drama out of the smallest of tweets, but hey, we weren’t smart enough to write as many hit TV shows as Tina Fey, either.

This makes me sad :(

Rhaknar

I've got good news for you. 30 Rock is on Netflix! Or it was when I rewatched it a few months ago.

not on the Portuguese one.

btw, is it old enws that the little girl with the hoola hoops in the intro is the same footage as The Americans intro? I dont remember people mentioning it back in season 1.

Kimmy is a russian spy confirmed

addik

not on the Portuguese one.

btw, is it old enws that the little girl with the hoola hoops in the intro is the same footage as The Americans intro? I dont remember people mentioning it back in season 1.

Kimmy is a russian spy confirmed

Save this twist for the last season. Go totally off the rails and do this.

We already know that (joke spoiler)
UKS takes place in the same universe as Mad Men. Why stop there?

episode 3 was kinda weird though right? they kinda went out of their way to characterize asian american activists as irrational complainers who don't even know what they are mad about. idk, i just got the feeling the writing there was a little... personal.

dont worry, youre not the only one who feels that way

I must've been really bored during this episode because I didn't even remember this stuff in it. This season just didn't work for me at all.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Yeah that definitely left a bad taste...

Finally finished the season. While I feel this season was good I feel 1 was better, of the top of my head I can't really think of any really iconic funny moments(there are many) off the top of my head. I enjoyed Andrea's character and felt it was better fit compared to her s1 counterpart. Some season spoilers now.

I really wish Kymmy would've come back or at least been acknowledged once Kimmy and her mom got together as it felt where they didn't really talk about her but her father gets mentioned. Also it's pretty funny how her mom is someone who was in friends, that got a laugh out of me. The reverend coming up at the end is just really creepy as I feel like there's implied rape in the bunker throughout the series. Thought he was gonna say he was getting out but since he said marriage I'm thinking it might be Kymmy. I wish there would've been more Donna Maria in the present since she's always funny.

I feel like Kimmy and Titus's characters were traits were really magnified this season, like Kimmy comes across as extra ditzy and Titus really selfish. Lillian was around too much for my liking as she's just grumpy old lady. Jaqueline story was funny and I wish they would've used her nemesis some as that was pretty funny with her random genius moments. The flashback sequences were pretty damn good and I hope they keep them up. My favorite episode had to be the episode with the cassette tapes where they had knockoff songs, I'm pretty sure I can swim lol.

Overall I'd say season 1 was an A and I'd give season 2 a B+, enjoyable but something felt like it was missing for me. I'm gonna go through the thread and read some spoilers and process some stuff and see how my opinion forms after that and a few days.

Quick

Banned
I'm just about halfway through the season, and it's been awesome so far.

I wish they had more episodes involving the Mole Women. Gretchen is crazy as hell, and her whole deal just made that episode (episode 4) great for me.

VanWinkle

That must have went right over my head. I thought they were just making fun of internet "outrage culture".

Sunster

That must have went right over my head. I thought they were just making fun of internet "outrage culture".

I wanted to believe that but there's a million examples of internet outrage that are actually funny to use for that. Fey has gotten a lot of flack for her movie Whiskey Tango Foxtrot and I can't help but think that criticism was on her mind when writing this.

Bane

Still loved this season but it was a step down from 1. Titus and Mikey's relationship was my favorite part of it, it had that great mixture of comedy and heart that Fey is good at. Lillian was great but I was bummed her story didn't really go anywhere this season.

I thought the resolution with the mom was pretty bad. I get they tried to give her some pathos but she still came off incredibly selfish to me and I don't buy that Kimmy just became okay with it.

Jacqueline's arc only moved a little bit more than Lil's but I like what they're doing with her. I feel really dumb that I didn't get the joke that her real name is Jackie Lynn until this season. Mimi has got to go. Completely pointless and annoying character.

I do wonder how long this show can go, though. As much as I dig it, whenever I'm watching I just have a hard time seeing it go as long as 30 Rock or Parks and Rec. Honestly, I kind of feel four seasons, maybe even three, could be enough.

Episode 12 when Jerry is speaking Australian the subtitles translate. It does it all the time. You need to re-watch the show with subtitles.
I knew I forgot to mention something, I've got subtitles on for everything so I don't know if it appears for those who don't. But all throughout the season the subtitles would show some funny stuff, like when Lillian stops speaking and starts mouthing the subtitles keep going.

Also the drawing of Kimmy tricking Jaqueline was funny as hell.

blamite

Episode 12 when Jerry is speaking Australian the subtitles translate. It does it all the time. You need to re-watch the show with subtitles.

I knew I forgot to mention something, I've got subtitles on for everything so I don't know if it appears for those who don't. But all throughout the season the subtitles would show some funny stuff, like when Lillian stops speaking and starts mouthing the subtitles keep going.

Both of those scenes show subtitles whether you have them turned on or not.

I wonder if that was some meta about the whole 'Jacqueline being Native American but is played by a white woman' controversy caused. It's a bit tasteless I have to admit, and just kind of gave a message that "this show is great so it doesn't matter".

Yeah I don't think they were targeting Asians specifically.

All the protestors were Asian, and came at a time that Asians are finally starting to be heard that we are basically wiped from all existence in most media.

That stupid episode really soured me on the whole season. I still love the show, but I'll just be skipping Ep 3 during rewatches.

cacildo

I dont think the show is perfect...

But even the "all the characters singing" episode wasnt bad

Thats a real plus in my book (everytime a show decides to make an episode of people singing is a disaster - can only remember simpsons and that 70s show as exemples)

B-Dex

Thats a real plus in my book (everytime a show decides to make an episode of people singing is a disaster - can only remember simpsons and that 70s show as exemples)

Sorry but Buffy the vampire Slayer has the best musical episode. Go watch it immediately. "Once more it's Feeling".

Sunster

Sorry but Buffy the vampire Slayer has the best musical episode. Go watch it immediately. "Once more it's Feeling".
and Scrubs and Futurama

Rhaknar

There was controversy last year because of Jaqueline being native american?

I mean... now that I think about it, of course there was, but I dont remember seeing it, at least not on Gaf.

Rhaknar

Damn
Lisa Kudrow
got old :(

Which reminds me I got old... damn it
Lisa
!

VanWinkle

I just got to the episode with Tina Fey. I've been rewatching 30 Rock constantly the last like four months, so this version is throwing me off to an INSANE degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom