• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lady Dynamite |OT| On Netflix May 20th - Maria Bamford, Created by Mitch Hurwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason my Netflix was burying this show. I always see new stuff right up front but I had to dig a little for it. Didn't realize it was out until yesterday.

Really enjoyed the first episode, don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Absolutely.

That and "I'm a pterodactyl...corn!"
I say it every time in that voice. Although some episodes are different.

I feel like a lot of people are going to be immediately turned off because it's so strange but I really feel it's a lot more digestible and relatable as you watch more episodes.

I haven't seen the whole series yet but I really want Maria to play her depressed generic comedian character. That's my favorite!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
In a sea of amazing guest stars, Ana Gasteyer is especially fucking great in this

I freaking love her in this. The second episode where she says,
"I rep Camden, the baby. He's a real piece of shit."
, had me dying.

Also from the second episode, the Switch Hitters logo was great.

Oreoleo

Watched the first two episodes last night.

This show is fucking insane and all over the place.

But I kind of like it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Holy shit at her fancy voice in episode 4

Finished it.

Going to require a rewatch but I adored Fred Melamed in this show. It was zany and pretty serious at times but it had a lot of heart.

One of the best new shows of 2016.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This sheep herding thing...!

For some reason my Netflix was burying this show. I always see new stuff right up front but I had to dig a little for it. Didn't realize it was out until yesterday.
Yeah. I had to search for it, it wasn't on my starting page at all. Netflix was too busy trying to promote whatever shit Adam Sandler has coming up and a half dozen other things I don't care about.

anaron

This sheep herding thing...!

Yeah. I had to search for it, it wasn't on my starting page at all. Netflix was too busy trying to promote whatever shit Adam Sandler has coming up and a half dozen other things I don't care about.

Same for me (Canadian)

I'm only four episodes in and I love it. I love Maria Bamford and I'm really impressed that they captured the essence of her standup so well. I'm also amazed at how pointedly they critique and parody the Target commercials she starred in. The entire show is really ballsy and not like anything you'd ever see on a network TV.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The series low point is when Judd Apatow pops up and the show seems to genuinely treat him like a hero to female comedians. Sorry, I've given myself a headache from so much eyerolling.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oh shit its Jean-Rhalphio's sister

Fury451

Banned
Finished it.

Going to require a rewatch but I adored Fred Melamed in this show. It was zany and pretty serious at times but it had a lot of heart.

One of the best new shows of 2016.

Fred as Bruce was responsible for every laugh out loud moment I had while watching this. Absolutely hilarious in the show.

I actually really like this a lot, I'm looking forward to seeing more, but I didn't find it to be all that funny, yet at the same time I don't really hold that against it because I thought it was very clever and creative than what it was doing anyways. Kind of weird to have such mixed feelings about a comedy show hat didn't always make me laugh, but still wanting more of it.

Don't really know how to describe it, but it kind of goes along with why I find Maria Bamford's humor funny.

IronRinn

I had completely forgotten about this! I absolutely adore Maria Bamford, so I'm really glad to see all the positive impressions here.

Also Karen Grisham

Spoilers incoming

We find out in the season finale that Karen Grisham was three different people, did Maria make her up in her head or were they all Karen Grisham or what?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I got through the entire show without realizing that Karen Grisham, the agent, was Ana Gasteyer, not Kathryn Hahn. Hahaha.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I got through the entire show without realizing that Karen Grisham, the agent, was Ana Gasteyer, not Kathryn Hahn. Hahaha.

I can not keep them straight. I actually knew that was Ana Gasteyer because I listened to Comedy Bang Bang with Maria Bamford, but they are basically the same person to me.

I was really hoping this would be a female Black Dynamite. Like Foxy Brown.

I'd kill for more Black Dynamite in my life.

j19mdwM.jpg

Dice//

Banned
I watched the first episode.

Oh my lord. The amount of forth wall-breaking is unreal, for one... but the comedy is so damn good. Hope more good reviews will see more talking about it, meanwhile EPISODE 2!!!!

Monocle

I just finished the season. This show is amazing. It's the perfect crystallization of Maria's brand of humor. Smart, discursive, utterly bonkers, and hilariously vulgar. I love how she incorporated so many details and quirks from her life, standup, and overall career. The incredible voices, the Target commercial references, her parents and friends, her passion for pugs, and even her semi-biographical struggles with mental illness. If there's a better comedy series this year, I'll be shocked.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
The finale is bonkers. Even more so than the rest of the show. I'm obsesses with June Diane Raphael in this show. She nailed it. Also Ana Gastayer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom