• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix orders Maria Bamford comedy series from Mitch Hurwitz & Pam Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

Netflix boss Ted Sarandos said in January that the Internet network is aiming at offering as many as 20 original scripted series a year. The company is well on its way with a slew of new series pickups in the past few months. The latest is Lady Dynamite, a single-camera comedy starring actress-comedian Maria Bamford. It is executive produced by Arrested Development creator Mitch Hurwitz who has a deal at Netflix and cast Bamford as Debris Bardeaux in the new installment of his cult comedy he did for the streaming giant in 2013.

Co-written by Hurwitz and South Park alumna Pam Brady and produced by Netflix, Lady Dynamite, which had received 13-episode order, “is based on what Bamford has accepted to be ‘her life.’ The occasionally surreal episodes, refracted across multiple periods inspired by the actor/comedian’s life, tell the story of a woman who loses – and then finds – her s**t.”

Brady, Hurwitz and Bamford executive produce, with Brady serving as showrunner.

This marks the latest comedy series order for Netflix, which recently picked up the single-camera Bob Odenkirk-David Cross sketch comedy With Bob And David and an untitled Aziz Ansari show, and the multi-camera Fuller House and The Ranch starring Ashton Kutcher and Danny Masterson, which is in the final stages of deal-making. Coming up are the Wet Hot American Summer followup series and the Judd Apatow-produced Love.

Bamford is the creator and star of cult web series The Maria Bamford Show and Maria Bamford: the special special special, which is available on Netflix. She is the first female comic to have two half-hour Comedy Central Presents specials and appeared in the Comedy Central series The Comedians Of Comedy and Netflix’s Comedians Of Comedy: The Movie. Bamford’s extensive voiceover work includes Netflix’s BoJack Horseman as well as Cartoon Network’s Adventure Time and PBS’ Word Girl.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Cool, I've always enjoyed her standup although I haven't really seen/noticed her in anything in a while. Always thought she was really cute too...

big ander

Hell yes! Bamford is one of the best comics around right now and has already shown that on top of having A+ stand-up material, she's eager to present them in weird and unconventional ways. The Special Special Special is probably the most unique filmed standup special of the past decade. (least until that Tig/Dore one comes out I guess)

webkatt

Can anyone give me a crash education on this comic? Like YouTube videos, stand-up specials, etc. I keep hearing of her but am not familiar with her.

webkatt

why don't you try googling for like 5 seconds, it's a lot more efficient

I did and all I could find was some a one woman web series "show" and a "Special" she did at her parents house?

Does she have any non self produced stuff? Are there recording of her doing stand-up in clubs?

I did and all I could find was some a one woman web series "show" and a "Special" she did at her parents house?

Does she have any non self produced stuff? Are there recording of her doing stand-up in clubs?

She's been around forever. I find it kind of weird you'd never even seen her if you even have a passing interest in comedy.

Also, googling should show you a ton of stuff, like "The Comedians of Comedy"

JCX

Great creative pedigree. Mario Bamford is one of my favorite active comics. Great to see her getting her own show.

big ander

looks like there's a pretty good playlist of her doing stand-up in clubs here.

The Special she did for her mom and dad is brilliant by the way, though it'd probably help to see some normal videos in clubs first. The jokes in it make for a great stand-up special, but her being in front of just her parents gives it a really weird energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom