• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Celia on Netflix Is Wonderful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoops I posted this in community, can a mod fix this for me pretty please?

So I was looking for something new to watch on Netflix about a month ago and I came across this show called Celia. The description informing me that it follows the life of a real-life Cuban singer from the 50s and being that I love music and can learn a little something from this it intrigued me enough to hit the play button.

I was a little surprised about ten minutes in when the dialogue was still in Spanish, but that wasn't a turn off for me. This first episode introduces us to Celia's desire to become a singer, her sister, her father, mother, and the ladies man Pedro Knight. It feels like forever from when I watched the first episode, but the cartoony chase with Pedro and the Lt. was enough to keep me interested in watching, not to mention I thought every scene was well lit. As time went on I wouldn't know how much I would come to love this show.

It starts off okay, but as time goes on and the stories become more complex the show really manages to hook you in. The acting in this show is overall really good with the only performance I had issue with was with Simon's actor. Emotions are conveyed clearly and realistically. There were a couple of times when performances had me almost in tears or furious.

celiaygladysbecquernovehermana.jpg
I tell you, this woman right here had me cussin a few times. One of the most trifling and hating ass sisters I've seen.

The lead actress Jeimy Osorio who plays Celia is perfect. She has an air of innocence and kindness to her that really resonates with you and despite those two characteristics she doesn't take any shit either. When she finally becomes a professional singer you can't feel anything other than joy for her.

The show does give light to other character's stories throughout and I never found any of them uninteresting, but there are some I find more interesting than others, but you'll find focus of the show is on Celia and Pedro. This show takes place before and during the Cuban Revolution so there is a lot that deals with it throughout more than I thought it would when it started to surface and when it comes into full effect shit goes down and major advances are made in the plot.

I don't want to make this too long, but I wanted to mention right quick that I enjoy some of the music on this show as well. At first I thought the actress was singing the actual songs, but after finding her Instagram and hearing her sing on there, it sounds like a completely different person and not the real life Celia Cruz either. It's a shame because I do like who ever does her voice on the show a lot more than the actual singer's voice. Overall, I find this show to be magnificent and I definitely recommend it, just be warned that this shit is hella long. I didn't pay attention to it initially as I wanted to be surprised, but I finally decided to look last night after almost tearing up at the episode 50 and saw in the episode list that it's a whopping 80 episodes for season 1. I was going to wait until I finished the entire thing, but just wanted to get it out the way now as I'm taking a momentary break from it. I do highly recommend it.

It's the life of Celia Cruz who was famous for at least 5 decades and even in her death she was a symbol of the "salsa" music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibaoNRS1IZA

Here's "La vida es un carnaval" one of her most famous songs, released during the 90's.

La vida es un carnaval is probably the most famous song in spanish of the 90's after the Macarena.

Oh shit, I have heard this before. Had no idea who sung it though.

This show also got me back into learning Spanish. Grammar and words started flooding back. I'm going to try and get fluent in it by the next couple months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom