• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt S2 |OT| Spiderman Too, 2 Many Spidermen (April 15th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jaqueline is the MVP in this show.
From the very start too, her one-liners are my favorite.

"Thank you little girl, I've been standing here for hours! Careful, I pooped over there!"

Jane Krakowski is the master of bizarre one-liners and has been since 30 Rock. I know Kimmy and Titus are the focus here but she slays every scene she's in.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished it.

While the first season got way worse as it went on, this season got way better as it went on. Really a great season overall. Very much a worthy successor to the first.

Toa TAK

Banned
Jaqueline is the MVP in this show.
From the very start too, her one-liners are my favorite.

"Thank you little girl, I've been standing here for hours! Careful, I pooped over there!"
Yes! The small stretch of eps without her towards the end of the season had me worried, though

Lenz44

Banned
I don't know why, but the silo explosion(s) joke killed me when I heard it. I loved the second season and the ending few episodes:
I'm super excited for David Cross to be a part of the show for the time being. Especially with the "Washington Football team" plot that came out of nowhere but seems like its going to be amazing next season

Blitzed through in a weekend. Ooh, it's good. I'm already looking forward to rewatching to pick the many jokes I'm sure I missed.

Overall, great next step for the show. Nice evolution for the characters, who are properly operating as a group. I quite liked they were happy to write people in and out at various points throughout.

So many great lines and yes it's cartoonish at times but it's wonderfully so. It's big and it's silly and happy while not being ridiculous.

Oh I have to say one of my highlights was the cameos throughout the whole series from
Yuko the robot
in various situations. Just in the background there.

That Tilda Swinton spray paint on the back of that dude's truck had me rolling. It's small things like that that make the show for me.

I just thank our lord Gosh and his son Jeepers for bringing this show into my life.

PixelPeZ

I loved this Season! Way better than the first. Starts up a bit slow perhaps, but the ending with Feys character and Mikey and Kimmys' mom... Great show, so many quotable lines in every episode.

this season is really weak compared to the last one. I'm finding myself going for my phone much more often in season 2 than season one which is a shame. I've laughed maybe a handful of times in the 10 episodes i've seen so far

I really don't like how much lilian there is in this season. For me, she works in small doses yet here she's been elevated to a full on character and I just don't think it works. Add to that the whole already-dated Robert Durst references and jokes and that the pacing seems less tight than last season (which had to abide by tv's 22 minute standards) and this might be the most disappointed ive been in a season of comedy TV since the last season of arrested development : /

Geist-

This show is definitely reminding me how dark it can be with
Kimmy's PTSD, trying to have sex, the paedophile show tune, Kimmy's happy place rampage and therapy showing Kimmy's life was messed up even before the bunker.

They really have the perfect balance of humor and darkness.

ivysaur12

Banned
I just finished it.

While the first season got way worse as it went on, this season got way better as it went on. Really a great season overall. Very much a worthy successor to the first.

That's sort of where I am, though my favorite random aside was still in 201.

"It's Sonja, from GED class? Also, the cartoon Anastasia is based on me."

This show is definitely reminding me how dark it can be with
Kimmy's PTSD, trying to have sex, the paedophile show tune, Kimmy's happy place rampage and therapy showing Kimmy's life was messed up even before the bunker.

They really have the perfect balance of humor and darkness.

I thought this was kind of the stuff that made it better than the first season. It really engaged on a deeper level
with the darkness of what happened in Kimmy.
Even if it wasn't as funny joke-per-minute, it had this more honest emotional truth to it that made it a lot better?

GeeTeeCee

I enjoyed the first three episodes of S2, but episode 4 is on a whole new level. Absolutely hilarious, and there was even the bonus of
Will Arnett as Kitty!

neoanarch

Episode 12 when Jerry is speaking Australian the subtitles translate. It does it all the time. You need to re-watch the show with subtitles.

Corpekata

Banned
Anna Camp would make a fantastic Danganronpa villain. Y'know, if they ever decided to for some reason make a live action adaptation, cast it 10 years older, and set it in America, I guess.

I'm just trying to say her second episode reminded me of that game's villain.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Anna Camp would make a fantastic Danganronpa villain. Y'know, if they ever decided to for some reason make a live action adaptation, cast it 10 years older, and set it in America, I guess.

I'm just trying to say her second episode reminded me of that game's villain.

I really like Anna Camp in this! She was great for the role. The laughing / crying fit she has was great.

Dalek

Does anyone have a GIF of when Titus was staring down the librarian? Shit was hilarious and would make a great reaction GIF.

Finished it and already need more in my life.

Man I wish Netflix didn't just release a whole bunch of episodes at once and call it a season. I wish they released whole, multiple seasons at once.

Dalek

NO FACE JOURNEYS

giphy.gif

Lo_Fi

I'm so relieved to see this post because the wall to wall praise this season is getting really baffles me. ?_? I feel like it's objectively worse. Kimmy feels in many places like by now she shouldn't be reacting the same way she does to everything because she's been out for a while, she comes off really stupid instead of just out of touch in places.

Amy Sedaris's character probably falls the flattest for me out of everyone, it feels like she's just screaming zany things and every time she was on camera I felt like "who are you and why are you here taking up screen time?" I didn't remember her at all in season 1. There was so much time spent on people who aren't Kimmy and Titus and I feel like the show really suffered for it. Titus and
his BF Mikey
are far and away the best part of the season. Funny and sweet and a good thing for TV.

I also really didn't like how Tina Fey addressed her critics for Dong's portrayal last season--I think there were some valid points and if she disagrees she could have just left it there. It makes her look like a very small minded person to make her critics out to be over-sensitive millennials.

Lastly,
the Tina Fey character is indulgent in the extreme and not even very funny to me. Admittedly I have little patience for her now after that episode 3 stuff and some of her other stances on things outside of this show but it didn't land with me at all.

When season 1 ended I was like OMG WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT but I kind of left this season feeling really like "oh ok." I'm not hooked at all :( if it wasn't for Titus I would just stop watching but he's still so entertaining and lovable.

Ah I'm sorry to just come in and shit all over the show, I don't mean it like that. I'm just curious if anyone else felt the same--I won't begrudge anyone else their good time or anything.

Haven't finished S2 yet (just finished ep 9), but I agree with a lot of this. I honestly can't remember where Amy Sedaris' character came from, I seriously don't remember her from S1.

I also agree that ep 3, while not terrible, felt like it was trying to make a huge point about easily offended people and criticism, and it didn't at all. It ended up feeling like it had nothing interesting to say, other than...I dunno? Never criticize something ever?

But, having said that, I feel like it's getting way better as I'm continuing the season. I almost quit watching after the first few episodes, I was getting pretty bored, but somewhere along the line it got just as good as S1.

Episode 9 spoilers:
Also, I think it was Tina Fey's character, did anyone catch that Tina's character said Fred Durst instead of Robert Durst when talking about the Jinx? Lol.

Shahadan

There should be a name for that weird feeling when you see an actor at two periods of their life in a short time.

I mean (last épisode spoiler I guess)
I watched Friends on TV this morning and then boom older Lisa kudrow out of nowhere in kimmy Schmidt. She's not even looking bad but shit sure made me uneasy for a minute

You know what I mean?

KarmaCow

Haven't finished S2 yet (just finished ep 9), but I agree with a lot of this. I honestly can't remember where Amy Sedaris' character came from, I seriously don't remember her from S1.

I also agree that ep 3, while not terrible, felt like it was trying to make a huge point about easily offended people and criticism, and it didn't at all. It ended up feeling like it had nothing interesting to say, other than...I dunno? Never criticize something ever?

But, having said that, I feel like it's getting way better as I'm continuing the season. I almost quit watching after the first few episodes, I was getting pretty bored, but somewhere along the line it got just as good as S1.

Episode 9 spoilers:
Also, I think it was Tina Fey's character, did anyone catch that Tina's character said Fred Durst instead of Robert Durst when talking about the Jinx? Lol.

To be fair to the ep3 stuff
it seems they did take the criticism to heart since Dong is more fleshed out. That's partly because it's the progression from season 1 but he's also really toned down from season 1 as well. The Murasaki thing is obviously self referential but it's also a timely reference to "outrage culture" much like The Jinx references.

That said, ep9
Tina Fey's character did feel kinda hackey. I did love seeing her exhaustedly drunk dancing to no one though.

neoanarch

There should be a name for that weird feeling when you see an actor at two periods of their life in a short time.

I mean (last épisode spoiler I guess)
I watched Friends on TV this morning and then boom older Lisa kudrow out of nowhere in kimmy Schmidt. She's not even looking bad but shit sure made me uneasy for a minute

You know what I mean?

I was watching Princess Bride and Carol Kane in makeup being unrecognizable in all but the voice was weird.

With episode three, I think if you take it as... more a reflection on internet reactions, how quick and big they escalate without a moment to stop, it feels better than that criticism itself is wrong and these points can never be right or worth bringing up. But that's just how I read it - I understand others might see that a bit differently.

Sotha Sil

Loved this season. Much like other posters, I really liked the way they dealt with the dark underlying themes.

“From now on, I’m all about getting paid, yo. Like the dad from Mary Poppins before he got them kites, son!” is the hardest I've laughed all season, not sure why. That delivery! Ellie Kemper is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom