• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt S2 |OT| Spiderman Too, 2 Many Spidermen (April 15th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

Haha man episode 9 with all the legally different cover songs from the 90s

Also I can't believe they did a running Mentos joke

So much better than season 1, I don't understand the burp reaccruing gag though.

Yeah, I'm curious if I missed something or there's gonna be a payoff on that.
I remember Xanthippe said she was putting Windex in almost all of Kimmy's food but I don't think that's been going on recently, so who knows.

So much better than season 1, I don't understand the burp reaccruing gag though.

Burp is explained eventually, in case you didn't figure it out somehow on the first or second one (notice what subject it is interrupting):
it is the bad stuff from her past that she's repressing manifesting as burps of eternal stench.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Lost a little steam by the very end. Shows at its best when it's completely random and in the thick of things. When the arcs are wrapped up it loses something. Either way very much dug this season over the first.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
"You think you know everything because you got bitten by a cockroach that crawled out of a dictionary" is my new favorite line

berzeli

Banned
We don't deserve this show.

OMG haha episode 4 the Reverand's
Buy the World a coke commerical
joke SLAAAAYED me

This is the best joke so far (just finished episode 4), it took me a second to get. But then, jesus. This show is just so good.

Playsage

EP8:
"which is the original?" *a wild Potato Jesus appears*

I wasn't ready...

EDIT: and now
DAWSON'S CREEK!

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
epidsode 13

Black Jesus from the Madonna Like a Prayer video.

Space Judas

I think I like this season better than the first. Though I will admit, I didn't really care for Lillian's subplot.

Dalek

Ep 2- so fucking funny, like a joke every 5 seconds.
"Like Icarus, my friend who stacked too much stuff in his closet-I stacked too much stuff in my closet."

COMING SOON-NINE BANKS

Apt101

Wow this season got off to a good start. I fell over when Titus got that legal win, and pizza party for one. Haha. This show is the best.

TripOpt55

Watched the first six episodes. Show is still hysterical as expected. I find myself rewinding often because they are throwing so many jokes at me.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Amy Sedaris kills me each time she's onscreen.

Deidre is the Joker of this world, lady is insane.

Saya

Very uneven season. Love Titus. But...

Amy Sedaris is unbearable. So bad. Terrible timing and delivery of the jokes. I actually cringe whenever she does something on screen.

epidsode 13

Black Jesus from the Madonna Like a Prayer video.

Space Judas

I think I like this season better than the first. Though I will admit, I didn't really care for Lillian's subplot.

I rewinded the major confusion line 3 times. That delivery was so fucking perfect I laughed my ass off.

blamite

I just finished the season, it was really good! Two things that kinda bugged me though (consider this spoilers for the whole season just to be safe):

-Opening with the flash forward was pointless and really didn't accomplish anything. I wish they would've just avoided it entirely.

-The burp runner kind of fizzled out? Kimmy waking up on the roller coaster felt like the second act of that bit that never got resolved. Since it had been going since the first episode it felt like it would end in a more conplete way.

Anyway those are just minor nitpicks, I loved the season overall. I'd probably say it was better than the first? Maybe more consistent? Although the
broken tooth
stuff was suuuuper hard for me to watch. Oh and the
Chuck Lorre
thing completely blew mind.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Episode 6

"The award for most gullible women in the world goes to....Julianne Moore. Julianne is filming in Prague so I'll accept this on her behalf."

And the mentos tooth falling into the diet Pepsi at the receptionist desk. Oh man. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

I'm a big Strangers With Candy fan, so I'm obviously enjoying Sedaris on the show. I think she's a great character actor.

Sblargh

Banned
Oh man, I don't want to be a contrarian and stuff, but, something on this second season isn't clicking with me.
I loved the first season, I laugh at a lot of the jokes, some of it fall flat to me, but that's not the issue. This season seems to have a weird subtext that is just annoying to me.

While in the first season, I felt like I understood the character, over the top as she is, now I feel she is less than a character and more of a "perfect daughter for kids from the 80s" weird thing.

She is kind of sexless, she doesn't understand (or try to understand) the internet or internet culture, the show makes fun of hipsters, but she is like the 00s equivalent of a hipster.

You know that horrible meme of "only kids of the 90s will understand?"
The show feels like "only kids of the 80s who were young adults on the 90s and watched a lot of TV will understand". The first season seemed like to be about an adult trying to find her own way in a world she doesn't quite grasp, which is an universal theme done a variety of ways, the character being stuck in a bunker is just one of the shenanigans fiction have to done to create this enviroment.

But now, it feels like she is in her 40s, and so does Titus and the rest of the cast probably are in their 40s; which is obviously ok by itself, but the show often seem to go into this weird place of "oh these youths who I don't understand so are obviously wrong about the ways of the world", which, again, is a legitmate, universal theme that has been done so many times, but it doesn't feel like the writers of the show are trying to be this show, the show just kind of fails in this direction. It has that cringeworthy quality of a PSA anti-drug ad trying to use slangs to teach the cool kids not to do drugs.

Still, I am enjoying it, not as much as the first season, some episodes are perfect start from finish, but often I'm like, "jeez tv show, fine, I got it, you are the cool mommy, so hip and fresh and that pants in no way makes your butt look fat"

Apt101

Oh man, I don't want to be a contrarian and stuff, but, something on this second season isn't clicking with me.
I loved the first season, I laugh at a lot of the jokes, some of it fall flat to me, but that's not the issue. This season seems to have a weird subtext that is just annoying to me.

While in the first season, I felt like I understood the character, over the top as she is, now I feel she is less than a character and more of a "perfect daughter for kids from the 80s" weird thing.

She is kind of sexless, she doesn't understand (or try to understand) the internet or internet culture, the show makes fun of hipsters, but she is like the 00s equivalent of a hipster.

You know that horrible meme of "only kids of the 90s will understand?"
The show feels like "only kids of the 80s who were young adults on the 90s and watched a lot of TV will understand". The first season seemed like to be about an adult trying to find her own way in a world she doesn't quite grasp, which is an universal theme done a variety of ways, the character being stuck in a bunker is just one of the shenanigans fiction have to done to create this enviroment.

But now, it feels like she is in her 40s, and so does Titus and the rest of the cast probably are in their 40s; which is obviously ok by itself, but the show often seem to go into this weird place of "oh these youths who I don't understand so are obviously wrong about the ways of the world", which, again, is a legitmate, universal theme that has been done so many times, but it doesn't feel like the writers of the show are trying to be this show, the show just kind of fails in this direction. It has that cringeworthy quality of a PSA anti-drug ad trying to use slangs to teach the cool kids not to do drugs.

Still, I am enjoying it, not as much as the first season, some episodes are perfect start from finish, but often I'm like, "jeez tv show, fine, I got it, you are the cool mommy, so hip and fresh and that pants in no way makes your butt look fat"

I think it plays with those themes well. In the first season no one got her because she was stuck as a 13 year old girl from the 90's. Especially Xan, which was hilarious. Now she doesn't get the more contrarian young adults' of today. I don't think it's some kind of condemnation of hipsters or twenty-somethings, just more humor along the same lines as before but now projected outward rather than toward the Kimmie character herself.

Plus, you know, the jokes land easily for the core age group of viewers, so there's that.

Sblargh

Banned
I think it plays with those themes well. In the first season no one got her because she was stuck as a 13 year old girl from the 90's. Especially Xan, which was hilarious. Now she doesn't get the more contrarian young adults' of today. I don't think it's some kind of condemnation of hipsters or twenty-somethings, just more humor along the same lines as before but now projected outward rather than toward the Kimmie character herself.

Plus, you know, the jokes land easily for the core age group of viewers, so there's that.

Good point. Don't know how to answer, lol, not sure if I agree or disagree or whatever. I will meditate on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom