• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt S2 |OT| Spiderman Too, 2 Many Spidermen (April 15th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna agree with that, worst part of the series for me.

Yeah I keep wishing for that thing to go away forever, after episode 5
I thought it was done for but nooooope, gotta have more crappy drama.

After the last episode
or whenever Dong got deported, I hope that he's gone forever. I like the character but the romance thing is terrible.

MORE of Tina Fey's character please, she's amazing(doesn't help that I have the biggest crush on her).

It's so weird having continuity and consistent character motivations in this show. 30 Rock kinda trained me to just accept disappearing characters and status quo resets

Loomba

"The reverend was a pycho liar who claimed he made the buy a world a Coke commercial"

😂😂😂

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Episode 3 had so many great jokes:

"Get the duck over here."
"Where am I going to get a duck?"

"Are those empty? Or was one of those spiders that bit me..."

Ms. White sitting on the ghost chair was hilarious.

"Oh god, they drew a Michael Jordan mustache on me."

E the Shaggy

"Delta. We hate this just as much as you do!"

dead2.gif

Sober

Also the way Mikey's family
reacted to him coming out was great. With the hilarious side of effect of Titus rhyming tolerance.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I think Deirdre is my favorite new character.

jgwhiteus

I just finished episode 6, planning on watching more today. So far the season feels more consistently funny than the first one; I've definitely had more laugh out loud moments, even though there are still the occasional throwaway jokes that don't go anywhere.

I was worried that episode 5 would eventually get tiresome with all the songs, but they pretty much had me in tears:
Helen Keller-inspired musicals are an overused cliche by now, but the lyrics were still awfully hilarious, the Stephen Sondheim "Pinocchio" was a nice touch, and the "Daddy's Boy" song was just wrong... the final song "Just Go On" was actually pretty nice.
I want to do a rewatch of that episode just to re-hear them, though the lyrics are conveniently online: http://zap2it.com/2016/04/unbreakable-kimmy-schmidt-season-2-musicals-alabama-daddys-boy/

I feel like there's a nice balance between the characters acting absurd and random mixed with moments of humanity and sincerity that ground them and keep them likable, without being overly corny. And add me to the Mikey fan-club!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I really would like her to stay as
Andrea
for the rest of the series, it was too good.

I wouldn't doubt it seeing as
she's still dealing with insobriety
. So we should get another season out of that character at least.

Sober

I guess I need to see The Jinx to see exactly why Fred Armisen showing up as Robert Durst is supposed to be funny at all, I guess. =\

I'm on episode 4, not liking it quite as much as season 1 but I think it's mostly due to it feeling less new. It also feels like they went out of their way to wrap up the plot threads from last season like Titus' wife and Jaqueline leaving New York. I'm liking it more now that they've gotten past all that.

I lost it at the line
"The Reverend was a lunatic who claimed to have written the 'I'd like to buy the world a Coke' song.'"

Oh man, I don't want to be a contrarian and stuff, but, something on this second season isn't clicking with me.
I loved the first season, I laugh at a lot of the jokes, some of it fall flat to me, but that's not the issue. This season seems to have a weird subtext that is just annoying to me.

While in the first season, I felt like I understood the character, over the top as she is, now I feel she is less than a character and more of a "perfect daughter for kids from the 80s" weird thing.

She is kind of sexless, she doesn't understand (or try to understand) the internet or internet culture, the show makes fun of hipsters, but she is like the 00s equivalent of a hipster.

You know that horrible meme of "only kids of the 90s will understand?"
The show feels like "only kids of the 80s who were young adults on the 90s and watched a lot of TV will understand". The first season seemed like to be about an adult trying to find her own way in a world she doesn't quite grasp, which is an universal theme done a variety of ways, the character being stuck in a bunker is just one of the shenanigans fiction have to done to create this enviroment.

But now, it feels like she is in her 40s, and so does Titus and the rest of the cast probably are in their 40s; which is obviously ok by itself, but the show often seem to go into this weird place of "oh these youths who I don't understand so are obviously wrong about the ways of the world", which, again, is a legitmate, universal theme that has been done so many times, but it doesn't feel like the writers of the show are trying to be this show, the show just kind of fails in this direction. It has that cringeworthy quality of a PSA anti-drug ad trying to use slangs to teach the cool kids not to do drugs.

Still, I am enjoying it, not as much as the first season, some episodes are perfect start from finish, but often I'm like, "jeez tv show, fine, I got it, you are the cool mommy, so hip and fresh and that pants in no way makes your butt look fat"

I'm so relieved to see this post because the wall to wall praise this season is getting really baffles me. ?_? I feel like it's objectively worse. Kimmy feels in many places like by now she shouldn't be reacting the same way she does to everything because she's been out for a while, she comes off really stupid instead of just out of touch in places.

Amy Sedaris's character probably falls the flattest for me out of everyone, it feels like she's just screaming zany things and every time she was on camera I felt like "who are you and why are you here taking up screen time?" I didn't remember her at all in season 1. There was so much time spent on people who aren't Kimmy and Titus and I feel like the show really suffered for it. Titus and
his BF Mikey
are far and away the best part of the season. Funny and sweet and a good thing for TV.

I also really didn't like how Tina Fey addressed her critics for Dong's portrayal last season--I think there were some valid points and if she disagrees she could have just left it there. It makes her look like a very small minded person to make her critics out to be over-sensitive millennials.

Lastly,
the Tina Fey character is indulgent in the extreme and not even very funny to me. Admittedly I have little patience for her now after that episode 3 stuff and some of her other stances on things outside of this show but it didn't land with me at all.

When season 1 ended I was like OMG WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT but I kind of left this season feeling really like "oh ok." I'm not hooked at all :( if it wasn't for Titus I would just stop watching but he's still so entertaining and lovable.

Ah I'm sorry to just come in and shit all over the show, I don't mean it like that. I'm just curious if anyone else felt the same--I won't begrudge anyone else their good time or anything.

KarmaCow

Ep4

Kimmy's list of things Gretchen can do is hilarious.

-judge others
-believe stupid stuff
-grow hair
-cranking
-eye contact
-take baths with clothes on
-be tall
-open cans with teeth
-firm handshakes
-cold hugs

I agree that there could definitely be less of Mimi. I love Amy Sedaris but the character is grating over time and very one-note. Better for a few quick scenes then never to be heard from again for at least another season.

Finished this today. Love this show so much, the wait for season 3 will be rough. I thinks season 2 had better highs but this season was much more consistently funny. This season also had a much better finale then that trash at the end of season 1. Also I'm surprised at how much sentimental scenes this season had.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
Over halfway through and Titus is on a roll

The hipster episode when Titus says something like, "Just like the original Hooters opened up in an old mammogram clinic."

Dice//

Banned
Jaqueline is the MVP in this show.
From the very start too, her one-liners are my favorite.

"Thank you little girl, I've been standing here for hours! Careful, I pooped over there!"

Rewatching season one now and man, there are a lot of plot lines teased for season two all over the place. Really nice to see a comedy show with such a connected plot.

Sober

I like that there's just a bunch of weird "it's not just a river in Egypt" jokes when they armchair psychoanalyse each other. It doesn't even have to be "denial" which makes the joke even more hilarious.

The tipping point is when Kimmy uses the river Euphrates as "you friadies". (as in fraidy cats)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom