• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

It's all new stuff, afaik. There's an article about it here. It's 45 minutes in total, and they're releasing a few pieces to drive blu-ray and digital sales.
HBO and the production team behind the show are bringing a special 45-minute animated history lesson as a bonus for those who purchase season seven on Blu Ray and DVD. The animation titled Conquest and Rebellion is narrated by Harry Lloyd, better known as Viserys Targaryen, and it is something similar to the “Histories and Lore” series that has been included with previous season’s home video releases. Lloyd also provided his voice to the clip detailing the Doom of Valyria, one of the possible ideas for the spin-off series.

This newer special seems to be going for a more storybook feel than the sketches that highlighted the previous bonus content, mixing digital animation with hand drawn imagery to create a living story on the screen. The first installment details the fall of Valyria and the Targaryen arrival in Westeros, showing the founding of Dragonstone and the eventual conquest of the land by Aegeon Targaryen. All of it plays a key part in the background of what we saw in season seven and should see in season eight, including the arrival of the Targaryen fleet and the original Field of Fire. Both found some mirror events in Daenerys Targaryen’s return to Westeros and Dragonstone.

Pilou Asbæk, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Aidan Gillen, Conleth Hill, Harry Lloyd, and Sophie Turner join Lloyd in narrating the special and it will be joined by more “Histories and Lore” segments according to The Daily Dot, including a look at The Dragonpit and the Rains of Castamere. It might not be new information, but it is certainly an interesting way to hold over for what happens next.

tmdorsey

Something I was discussing with a coworker that we had a question about. What is the age difference between Daenerys and Jon? It can't be no more than a year right?

Something I was discussing with a coworker that we had a question about. What is the age difference between Daenerys and Jon? It can't be no more than a year right?

Jon is a year older than her, in the books. 14/15. Irl Kit and Emilia are the same age (30). So yeah, they're the same age, or near to it.

MisterR

I don't follow the books, but would the next one be the final one and be able to end the story? Or is there still more planned? I want to jump in to the books, but I dont want to left disappointed either.

The books are fantastic, way better than the show. Don't deny yourself a ton of great reading just because an end is not for certain.

Hydrus

The books are fantastic, way better than the show. Don't deny yourself a ton of great reading just because an end is not for certain.

Yea, your right. I'm probably gonna jump into them soon. By the time I actually finish, maybe I'll get lucky and the next book will be out. If not, then I can be disappointed like everyone else!!

Apt101

e2zet8jd3xez.png

greatgeek

Banned
The next book we are all waiting for without complaint is only the penultimate book, which makes the bitching about it all the more pointless. The show was always going to finish first, even if Martin picked up a Stephen King-like pace.
Eh, TWoW should contain the most dramatic developments in the story since ASoS, including the climaxes of arcs in AFfC/ADwD and the set up for ADoS. It should naturally go a very, very long way to sating readers upset over "bloat" and the threat of an unresolved story.

duckroll

Worth noting that Fabian Wagner's gig while GoT S7 was being made, was shooting Justice League. That's some great experience to be taking back to GoT. :D

yunbuns

I accidentally went into the show only thread without looking at the title and was wondering if you this thread had went mad because of all the Dany/Jon gifs before I realized where I was.

*shudders*

Never again.

- Watchers: Seven Roles For Game of Thrones Season Eight

All very minor stuff, but you can start to make some guesses about where things are headed on the basis of some of these. Nothing surprising here.

It also lays out some of the shooting schedule, and notably there are a few pieces supposedly not shooting until June 2018.

And if I'm reading this right, they don't wrap shooting till August 2018??

I'd be shocked if we even get a trailer by Christmas.

- S8 directors list confirmed by EW
First: Miguel Sapochnik will return for the eighth-and-final season of Game of Thrones (which will consist of six episodes total). Sapochnik won an Emmy for his work on season 6, where he helmed two of the hit drama’s finest hours — “The Battle of the Bastards” and “The Winds of Winter.” Sapochnik then took a break from GoT for season 7 to shoot the pilot for Netflix’s upcoming sci-fi drama Altered Carbon, and is now back to focus on Thrones for at least the next year.

Next up is the great David Nutter — the show’s other Emmy winner for best direction. Nutter is a revered industry veteran, dubbed “the pilot whisperer” for his ability to successfully launch new shows. His credits range from The X-Files to ER to The Flash. Nutter helmed six previous GoT episodes, including season 5 finale, “Mother’s Mercy,” and season 3’s infamous Red Wedding episode, “The Rains of Castamere.” (Yes, that the director of The Red Wedding is returning has us a bit worried about some of our beloved characters too).

Yet neither Sapochnik nor Nutter will direct the show’s final episode. That honor is going to GoT showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss, who previously directed several other episodes early in the show’s run (such as “Walk of Punishment” and “Two Swords”). The decision continues a tradition of creators of acclaimed serialized cable dramas helming their own finales — such as David Chase for The Sopranos, Vince Gilligan for Breaking Bad, and Matthew Weiner for Mad Men.

When Benioff and Weiss have directed episodes in the past they’ve switched back and forth on who gets the actual on-screen credit (since director’s guild rules permit only one director can be credited for an episode of television). It’s unclear how this one will sort out.

Now you might read this and ask yourself: If the Ds are directing the finale, and Sapochnik and Nutter are also directing episodes, and there are six episodes total, then how many episodes is each person directing? In the past, visiting GoT directors have helmed two episodes each. We heard Sapochnik will direct at least two, possibly even three episodes. But as of now, we have no official intel on who will helm which episodes aside from the showrunners tackling the finale.

Thrones begins production on its final season in October and will continue into the spring of next year. HBO has not announced if the show will return in 2018 or, quite possibly, 2019.

Do we really know anything about his health? Yes, he's fat, but I've never read about any actual health issues.

He had a big health scare a few years ago, was in the hospital for a week or so. Outside of that all we can discern is that he's an overweight, older man who seemingly has a very poor diet (pizza, burgers, etc). Not a rosy outlook.

duckroll

D&D doing the finale hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. LOL.

So, I'm guessing the finale is going to be a longass epilogue after all the action? Because I don't think they're dumb or egotistical enough to think they can handle something they have never directed before.

Zousi

Yeah, it all sounded so good until that last paragraph. I don't remember how those earlier efforts looked though. Maybe we're fine.

jett

D-Member
D&D doing the finale hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. LOL.

So, I'm guessing the finale is going to be a longass epilogue after all the action? Because I don't think they're dumb or egotistical enough to think they can handle something they have never directed before.

Buncha egomaniacs.

I 100% believe this will be the case, and always have. I think the actual finale episode will have very little action in it, with all of that having taken place in the episodes prior.
I think it'll be fine. It's smart to have just Nutter and Sapochnik come in and direct, and makes total sense for D and D to direct the finale of the show they've spent the last decade building. Can't wait!

BTA

I'm expecting epilogue and timeskips, yeah.

Action's going to waste way too much time as is.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Episode 1: Intro to Golden Company via Euron, Dany and Jon arriving at Winterfell, Jamie arriving at Winterfell, lots of talking, the trial of Jamie Lannister, message arrives of wall being torn down, end it with Jon learning he is a Targaryen, closing shot of white walkers arriving outside Winterfell with Viserion in the distance on the Night King. Cersei drinks wine and does whatever

Episode 2: Battle of Winterfell, forcing them to retreat to Moat Calin with useless characters dying, Jon tells Dany the truth about his heritage after he rides Rhegal himself, they make a desperate plea to Cersei via Raven, Golden Company arrives at Kings Landing, Theon ambushes Euron, kills him, rescues Yara and battle the Golden Company in King's Landing

Episode 3: Cersei orders Golden Company to retreat to Casterly Rock, and burns King's Landing to the ground. Dany and Jon acting coldly towards another retreats to The Twins, Jamie finds out that Cersei is Mad Queen and goes after her, Golden Company and remaining dothraki fight for some reason

Episode 4: Jon and Dany make-up, Hound and Mountain fight, Golden Company turns on Cersei after finding out about Aegon Targaryen, Jamie kills Cersei

Episode 5: White Walkers continue to fight rest of Westeros as Night King goes to Isle of Faces....they return to men or whatever, that they should rule Westeros as they are the first men, they fight they lose via Jon killing Dany and Azor Azhaing on everyone

Episode 6: Long-ass episode detailing what happens to everyone with Sansa and Tyrion ruling Iron Throne for reasons

Moff

the big twist of the final season will be when Euron - leading the golden company - reveals that he was Daario all along, turning them against Cersei

mantidor

Episode 1: Intro to Golden Company via Euron, Dany and Jon arriving at Winterfell, Jamie arriving at Winterfell, lots of talking, the trial of Jamie Lannister, message arrives of wall being torn down, end it with Jon learning he is a Targaryen, closing shot of white walkers arriving outside Winterfell with Viserion in the distance on the Night King. Cersei drinks wine and does whatever

Episode 2: Battle of Winterfell, forcing them to retreat to Moat Calin with useless characters dying, Jon tells Dany the truth about his heritage after he rides Rhegal himself, they make a desperate plea to Cersei via Raven, Golden Company arrives at Kings Landing, Theon ambushes Euron, kills him, rescues Yara and battle the Golden Company in King's Landing

Episode 3: Cersei orders Golden Company to retreat to Casterly Rock, and burns King's Landing to the ground. Dany and Jon acting coldly towards another retreats to The Twins, Jamie finds out that Cersei is Mad Queen and goes after her, Golden Company and remaining dothraki fight for some reason

Episode 4: Jon and Dany make-up, Hound and Mountain fight, Golden Company turns on Cersei after finding out about Aegon Targaryen, Jamie kills Cersei

Episode 5: White Walkers continue to fight rest of Westeros as Night King goes to Isle of Faces....they return to men or whatever, that they should rule Westeros as they are the first men, they fight they lose via Jon killing Dany and Azor Azhaing on everyone

Episode 6: Long-ass episode detailing what happens to everyone with Sansa and Tyrion ruling Iron Throne for reasons

I cannot see it happening any other way now. Except for Arya being the one killing Cersei, and somehow dying in the process.

What do we think for sure will be in the books when they are published (lol) based on the show? My list is:

Shireen is burned, not by Stannis.

Hodor.

Sansa does get control of the Vale.

Jon will be king.

Arya will kill Walder and the Freys.

Dany loses one dragon.

Wall falls.

Cersei is too mixed with fAegon now in the show to really know how both those characters end up in the books. I don't see Stannis killed by the Boltons but I also don't see him as endgame so who knows. Jaime and Brienne I really have no idea. As for the Hound and the Mountain I also have no idea because I cannot tell how much of it was fanservice and how much it was guidelines given to D&D from Martin.

They have directed episodes of the show before though.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I cannot see it happening any other way now. Except for Arya being the one killing Cersei, and somehow dying in the process.

What do we think for sure will be in the books when they are published (lol) based on the show? My list is:

Hodor.

Jon will be king.

Dany loses one dragon.

Wall falls.

Cersei is too mixed with fAegon now in the show to really know how both those characters end up in the books. I don't see Stannis killed by the Boltons but I also don't see him as endgame so who knows. Jaime and Brienne I really have no idea. As for the Hound and the Mountain I also have no idea because I cannot tell how much of it was fanservice and how much it was guidelines given to D&D from Martin.
I have a full list of chapters for plots I think could happen in Winds of Winter. I might post them later lol. Mine are pretty un-similar to yours except for a few similar, but not the exact same.

Hodor.

Jon will be king.

Dany loses one dragon.

Wall falls.

It's been foreshadowed that Stannis will burn Shireen since book 2.
Accept it.

Yes, 2 episodes out of 67 and no one will say they stood out. Wouldn't you want the best for a series finale?

Sure, but I'll say I thought the direction in 303 and 401 was good, and it's not like it's logistically possible for Sapochnik to direct all the episodes.

Are people up in arms about David Chase, Vince Gilligan, or Matthew Weiner directing the series finales of their respective shows, all of whom also only directed a handful of episodes for those series?

I'm someone that has felt that mediocre directing work has hurt this series at times, but from what I saw of Benioff & Weiss for those two episodes, they did a good job imo. So, it's not a concern for me.

CassSept

Sure, but I'll say I thought the direction in 303 and 401 was good, and it's not like it's logistically possible for Sapochnik to direct all the episodes.

Are people up in arms about David Chase, Vince Gilligan, or Matthew Weiner directing the series finales of their respective shows, all of whom also only directed a handful of episodes for those series?

I'm someone that has felt that mediocre directing work has hurt this series at times, but from what I saw of Benioff & Weiss for those two episodes, they did a good job imo. So, it's not a concern for me.

Weiner directed every single season finale of Mad Men and Gillian directed pilot and 3 key episodes before tackling the finale.

The direction that the story took was also better received by most of viewers, while here a lot of people are rolling their eyes really hard at the penultimate season of the show, largely due to D&D's decisions.

They did a decent job on their episodes, but them directing a season finale for the series is just.... eh, not something anyone hoped for. Their episodes stand out only due to timing (Jamie losing his hand, season 4 premiere with reforging Ice).

duckroll

My concern isn't that they're going to shit the bed with the finale, it's that maybe the show might not close on as high a note as it could. Honestly, I have never been a fan of season finales on GoT. They have always been the weaker epilogues that tie up lose ends in a season after big events in the couple of episodes preceding them. But Sapochik's finale in S6 was a masterpiece that showed he could handle so much more than just big war scenes on the show. It felt climatic, cinematic, cohesive, and was so elegantly directed. That's the sort of feeling any showrunner should want to leave viewers with in a series finale.

Gigglepoo

D&D are good enough directors which fits with their mentality in writing the show. I really thought they would strive for excellence for the last season. Oh well.

Top Bottom