• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insecure - The Misadventures of an Awkward Black Girl - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmm Lawrence is fine.

They're both even, even though he was wrong AF for making Issa seem like they were going to reconcile. He knows she would have drove back up there as soon as possible to be with him.

Mmm Lawrence is fine.

They're both even, even though he was wrong AF for making Issa seem like they were going to reconcile. He knows she would have drove back up there as soon as possible to be with him.

That don't make them even. They were broken up.

We haven't watched the finale yet but the show is very good. Sometimes a little tough to watch though.. :(

Why is it a little tough to watch though? Is it that you can relate too much to whatever they're going through?

rugioh

Banned
I don't get it. Why did he call her if he was gonna cheat anyway? The scene was written in a way like he was regretting going out and just wanted to go back to the way things used to be.

I don't get it. Why did he call her if he was gonna cheat anyway? The scene was written in a way like he was regretting going out and just wanted to go back to the way things used to be.

He didn't cheat, they were broken up. It seemed like revenge, he wanted to make her feel bad for what she did to him.

Enzom21

Was he in her apartment or was he somewhere else? I saw all of his clothes gone so I'm guessing he was in another place?

I would imagine he was in the tellter's bedroom.
I for one am glad he finally got with the teller.
After what Issa did, he was very much in the right.

krazen

He didn't cheat, they were broken up. It seemed like revenge, he wanted to make her feel bad for what she did to him.

It wasnt revenge, it was a moment of weakness. It was after he had his feelings hurt by the stripper. He reached out to her for comfort and imho was genuine...but obviously that changed once he got to the apartment and was more "clear headed".

In my life and even a friend recently with his divorced wife(!!!) id find myself getting a similar phonecall from an ex when we know its bullshit, lol

I think it was moreso he was left horny and a bit scorned by the stripper. Issa was not at home, so he made another call and the teller picked up.

It seemed like a bit of a hate fuck. Issa would've been on the receiving end had she been home. It was a moment of weakness for Lawrence.

It wasnt revenge, it was a moment of weakness. It was after he had his feelings hurt by the stripper. He reached out to her for comfort and imho was genuine...but obviously that changed once he got to the apartment and was more "clear headed".

In my life and even a friend recently with his divorced wife(!!!) id find myself getting a similar phonecall from an ex when we know its bullshit, lol

Ok, that's much better articulated than my attempt, and just a better overall explanation in general that I was trying to convey but failed. LOL

rugioh

Banned
I think it was moreso he was left horny and a bit scorned by the stripper. Issa was not at home, so he made another call and the teller picked up.

It seemed like a bit of a hate fuck. Issa would've been on the receiving end had she been home. It was a moment of weakness for Lawrence.

Got it, I didn't pick up that it was the teller on first watch so that makes sense haha.

Enzom21

z1Fyto5.png

Glad they did.

zRymA6j.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
See, I think his calling Issa was the moment of weakness. He was drunk and the stripper laying out the prices put him through a loop. Calls old girl but then the lightbulb goes off when he gets back to the apartment. Oh yeah...Tasha from the Bank.

Chase17

Just how many lights did Lawrence leave on after leaving the apartment.

Anyways really enjoyed the season and am looking forward to season 2.

Kreed

See, I think his calling Issa was the moment of weakness. He was drunk and the stripper laying out the prices put him through a loop. Calls old girl but then the lightbulb goes off when he gets back to the apartment. Oh yeah...Tasha from the Bank.

That's what I got from the episode, but I can see how people could think he was setting Issa up due to how everything was set up/not seeing the "lightbulb" go off in Lawrence's head.

- EW: Issa Rae on what's to come next season
On coming to the decision in the writers’ room that Lawrence would leave Issa

This was also something we discussed in the room. The idea of a woman cheating is so bewildering for a lot of men; like it’s a huge mark of betrayal for them in a way that’s kind of a double standard. I remember writing a film when I was younger and part of it had a woman cheating for reasons of lust and weakness. The executive who read it told me that a lead woman could not cheat because it makes them immediately unlikeable. He strongly believed that women could not come back from cheating and I remember thinking how unfair that was, because I watched shows and movies where women forgive men for cheating all…the…time. It was also important to me to have Issa cheat precisely at a moment where Lawrence wasn’t necessarily at fault; where it wasn’t about him, it was about her. I think we always think that a man has to do something for a woman to cheat, and this was very much about Issa and her decision to be “aggressively active” for once. She just failed to think about what she would lose in the process.

But even discussing it in the room, a lot of men felt like Lawrence would not be ready to take her back so easily — he never imagined that Issa, the woman he had grown to love and trust, would do this to him and would not be ready to take her back so easily. For that final scene where he goes back to his complex, seeing Thug Yoda and the old couch, then stepping into his old apartment felt like a regression to him. In a way, he would rather leave than face the hurt and Issa’s transgressions. I think for him, being in that environment, knowing that he had vowed to commit to this girl just a month or two before, was just too much to forgive at that point.
- Medium: Real Black People on TV
- Vox: The first season of HBO comedy Insecure is a painfully real look at what it means to be selfish
- NY Times on the season finale

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Pretty good finale. Molly is a mess, but at least she's still Issa's friend. :)

"Do you listen to yourself?"
"All the time. I have a podcast."

She kills me with these lines, and apparently a lot of 'em are adlibbed.

She's also developing her own comedy series for HBO!

zelas

Amazing finale! And to think I was only going to watch this show as a favor to my gf.

The music selections are perfect too.

That Best Buy shirt tho....glad It ended the way it did.

I was thinking about that too. "Teller with the titties" Tasha supported and was so supportive of him in their meetings whereas of late Issa wasn't. She threatened to break up with him over frustration of him finding a job, basically made him settle for Best Buy where he didn't want to work, forced him to abandon his idea for his app and join a less organized developer, and on top of that cheated on him.

You could see the interest from Lawrence when Tasha began to tell him that his idea sounded like a winner. He needed that in that moment. He was feeling down until then.

Lawrence wasn't in the wrong at all. I don't even know what the Twitter debate is about.

Blackhead

Redarse
I was thinking about that too. "Teller with the titties" Tasha supported and was so supportive of him in their meetings whereas of late Issa wasn't. She threatened to break up with him over frustration of him finding a job, basically made him settle for Best Buy where he didn't want to work, forced him to abandon his idea for his app and join a less organized developer, and on top of that cheated on him.

You could see the interest from Lawrence when Tasha began to tell him that his idea sounded like a winner. He needed that in that moment. He was feeling down until then.

Lawrence wasn't in the wrong at all. I don't even know what the Twitter debate is about.

Finally got on Twitter, InsecureHBO has been the Top Trend in the US for the last couple hours. Ahead of everything, even Westworld. That's pretty amazing. That last scene basically set off a Battle of the Sexes. Some good responses to it

https://twitter.com/KingSio_/status/803087457063501824

https://twitter.com/SebastianAvenue/status/803093341403348992

https://twitter.com/cthagod/status/803092021548355585

Twitter debate is about picking sides. Guys are reflexively siding with Lawrence. Stop acting like Tasha's thirsty talks were what got Lawrence back in his groove; No, he did it for Issa. Tasha was just saying whatever to flirt with him but Issa was laying down truths. You think Tasha encouraging him to go with his app was a good idea? No, Issa knows him, his strength and weakness. And FWIW anybody familiar with the app industry will tell you it's not a good time to be an independent developer. Issa was right to promote and praise the steady+secure paycheck to get him back on his feet...

Issa and Lawrence are not our homies. Both are flawed and wrong in different ways and guys cheering for Lawrence smashing Tasha are revealing their own biases. That said:

lmao

Twitter debate is about picking sides. Guys are reflexively siding with Lawrence. Stop acting like Tasha's thirsty talks were what got Lawrence back in his groove; No, he did it for Issa. Tasha was just saying whatever to flirt with him but Issa was laying down truths. You think Tasha encouraging him to go with his app was a good idea? No, Issa knows him, his strength and weakness. And FWIW anybody familiar with the app industry will tell you it's not a good time to be an independent developer. Issa was right to promote and praise the steady+secure paycheck to get him back on his feet...

Issa and Lawrence are not our homies. Both are flawed and wrong in different ways and guys cheering for Lawrence smashing Tasha are revealing their own biases. That said:

lmao

Lawrence ain't wrong.

I get that, but early on, not even halfway, Issa started smelling herself and being insecure and treated everyone equally awful. I mean the way she acted was pretty realistic but she's pushed away pretty much everyone who got close to her until she needed them for emotional support. She pushes away and then cheats on Lawrence then feels bad and needs emotional validity by giving him head for breakfast. She talks about Molly to her face and constantly tries to one-up her on the friends trip until they bring up her being broken up with over Daniel and she rushes to Mollys aid hoping to win her over a little bit, which is similar to earlier in the season when she was so self absorbed she ran over Molly's feelings to big up herself until she didnt wanna go home over her own messed up feelings.

I feel as though even before he and Issa did their thang, Daniel's presence and longing for her undid her way more than the actual act did, and her getting accolades at work put that over the top.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

lmao

Oh most definitely. I was happy for Lawrence and I'll freely admit that's just bias being a guy. But I can also sorta see where Lawrence was looking at it, in a moment of weakness. You know he wants to do his own app. Should he keep the steady paycheck? Most definitely. Issa rushing to tell him to put it on the backburner but Tasha encouraging him is what messed with his head. Tasha doesn't know shit about him so her opinion doesn't really matter, but I can see why he decided to do what he did. He's going down the path of least resistance. Fucking Tasha means not having to confront those feelings of betrayal and humiliation he has with Issa, and Tasha is someone who will just reinforce what he wants to do.

lmao
How is Lawrence flawed? Because he couldn't find a job? Because he had sex with a woman after he broke up with his girlfriend who cheated on him? Lawrence is the least flawed character on the show by far. I think he did what a lot of guys do to cope with a bad breakup.

How is Lawrence flawed? Because he couldn't find a job? Because he had sex with a woman after he broke up with his girlfriend who cheated on him? Lawrence is the least flawed character on the show by far. I think he did what a lot of guys do to cope with a bad breakup.

Talk to 'em.

Bladenic

Let's not forget that Lawrence has been sitting around in his sweatpants for 4 years before the show began. That's flawed. Issa telling him to take that job was not her not being supportive, it was so he wouldn't go back to sitting on his ass living off her money again lmao

Ross61

Let's not forget that Lawrence has been sitting around in his sweatpants for 4 years before the show began. That's flawed. Issa telling him to take that job was not her not being supportive, it was so he wouldn't go back to sitting on his ass living off her money again lmao
He was sitting on his ass, but he wasn't living off her money. He was getting unemployment. It's likely they were splitting bills.

He was sitting on his ass, but he wasn't living off her money. He was getting unemployment. It's likely they were splitting bills.
He was getting unemployment and also actively searching for jobs. He was also picky about what he wanted. When you have a degree you don't want to settle for a job in retail. Let's also not forget the real life bias against people of color in the tech industry.

Afrocious

He was getting unemployment and also actively searching for jobs. He was also picky about what he wanted. When you have a degree you don't want to settle for a job in retail. Let's also not forget the real life bias against people of color in the tech industry.

Don't get me started on this shit - I'm currently suffering from it. Minus looking good shirtless and having fine women want me of course.

I've been stalking this thread. I might have to check this show out.

Mmm Lawrence is fine.

1. YES LORD HE IS FINE

2. Thats probably why he did it..to start the hurt process. Pretty fucked up IMO. But that power stroke he was giving Tasha tells me he had that shit all planned out.

norinrad

He's been leeching for 4 years, 4 years guys. Though I also kind of stand with Law.

Blackhead

Redarse
Lawrence ain't wrong.

Talk to 'em.
Read 'em:
Tasha doesn't know shit about him so her opinion doesn't really matter, but I can see why he decided to do what he did. He's going down the path of least resistance. Fucking Tasha means not having to confront those feelings of betrayal and humiliation he has with Issa, and Tasha is someone who will just reinforce what he wants to do.

- NY Times on the season finale
But under the surface, the episode suggests some uncomfortable truths about the narrow spaces black women are forced to inhabit by many of the people they consider allies.

“They don’t make black women like they used to,” says one of Lawrence’s friends as they sit beneath the neon lights of a strip club, entranced by the parade of flesh around them. “My grandma was a rider. She didn’t leave because she wasn’t happy.” Chad echoes the sentiment as he casually discusses how his grandfather had an entire second family but his grandmother stayed until the very end. The hypocrisy of their statements seems completely lost on them. It cuts deeply hearing them demean black women for having standards — what amounts to expecting the bare minimum. It’s even worse when Lawrence agrees, considering he told Chad that he had gotten his life together for Issa.

Lawrence’s deep dive into the single life isn’t unsurprising. It’s clear he’s trying to divorce himself from the kind, empathetic man he used be. The finale is beautifully shot, well acted and leaves us with more questions than answers. But the scenes with Lawrence make me wonder: Who is the show targeting? Given the way it seems to adopt the tired convention whereby a woman is punished more for her indiscretions than a man, it’s the kind of ending that seems calibrated for male approval.

Getting back together would feel dishonest for Issa and Lawrence, given everything that happened. But the ending feels harsh in ways I’m torn about. Even though I don’t think the series condones anything Lawrence’s friends say, neither does the ending provide a counterpoint.

- EW: Issa Rae on what's to come next season
On coming to the decision in the writers’ room that Lawrence would leave Issa

This was also something we discussed in the room. The idea of a woman cheating is so bewildering for a lot of men; like it’s a huge mark of betrayal for them in a way that’s kind of a double standard. I remember writing a film when I was younger and part of it had a woman cheating for reasons of lust and weakness. The executive who read it told me that a lead woman could not cheat because it makes them immediately unlikeable. He strongly believed that women could not come back from cheating and I remember thinking how unfair that was, because I watched shows and movies where women forgive men for cheating all…the…time. It was also important to me to have Issa cheat precisely at a moment where Lawrence wasn’t necessarily at fault; where it wasn’t about him, it was about her. I think we always think that a man has to do something for a woman to cheat, and this was very much about Issa and her decision to be “aggressively active” for once. She just failed to think about what she would lose in the process.

But even discussing it in the room, a lot of men felt like Lawrence would not be ready to take her back so easily — he never imagined that Issa, the woman he had grown to love and trust, would do this to him and would not be ready to take her back so easily. For that final scene where he goes back to his complex, seeing Thug Yoda and the old couch, then stepping into his old apartment felt like a regression to him. In a way, he would rather leave than face the hurt and Issa’s transgressions. I think for him, being in that environment, knowing that he had vowed to commit to this girl just a month or two before, was just too much to forgive at that point.

Lawrence is wrong for going along with his friends' double standards and he is flawed for choosing the path of least resistance. He is NOT wrong for calling up Issa for a heartfelt conversation/drunk dialing his ex (depending on how you interpret that) and he is NOT wrong for giving Tasha the pipe after moving out. It's that in-between moment, where he passively-aggressively packs up and leaves without closure, that exposes him.

Those black male attitudes are so realistic. Even on GAF you can see in the Atlanta season thread where people throwing props to Earn at having his baby-mama pick him up at that other girl's spot then later episode, when Earns' friend is feeling Van, going all 'Nah, she'd never'. Issa Rae is right...

I've been stalking this thread. I might have to check this show out.

This is the golden age of Black TV and this is one of the best of the bunch. Watch it

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I need a Tasha from the bank in my life

And the differing opinions on the direction Lawrence should take with his career is a fantastic point of conversation. There really are no right answers until we can use hindsight when he hits it big or falls flat on his face again. Supportive or realistic?

royalan

Nah bruh. Ain't nothing cute about sitting on your ass, eating cereal and shit and collecting unemployment while your girl is out here hustling. Unemployment runs out. And in most states, unemployment is only half of what you was making at MOST. So I doubt them bills were getting split equally.

Oh, AND Lawrence forgot Issa's birthday. Even his dog-ass friend thought that was fucked up.

Nah, Lawrence was on some bummy shit when we meet him. Ain't nothing wrong with getting A job to earn A paycheck while you're working on your dream. Dude wasn't even keeping his hair cut, just steady sitting on his ass. Calling his homeboys like "I miss y'all" but they out at the bar, and he can't even go cuz he broke. Sitting there feeling all sorry for himself. I know I wouldn't want to come home to every damn day after I just spent my 9 - 5 with some bad ass, disrespectful, researching-ass kids to get MY paper.

And Tasha is a bird. So I can why some of y'all in here like her. It's easy to be a cheerleader when you're not living with him. Tasha got "check cashing, putting-on-his-best Lawrence" when Issa had to deal with "ass sitting Lawrence". It's easy to say what you need to say when you're trying to get that DICK. Trust me. Oh, and how he she showed up to his job, Titties on DECK, when she KNEW he had a girlfriend? Just foul. Girl ain't got no scruples.

That said, Lawrence was NOT wrong to fuck her. And Issa WAS wrong to cheat. Issa just fucked up by cheating AFTER she put pressure on Lawrence to get his shit together.

Nah bruh. Ain't nothing cute about sitting on your ass, eating cereal and shit and collecting unemployment while your girl is out here hustling. Unemployment runs out. And in most states, unemployment is only half of what you was making at MOST. So I doubt them bills were getting split equally.

Oh, AND Lawrence forgot Issa's birthday. Even his dog-ass friend thought that was fucked up.

Nah, Lawrence was on some bummy shit when we meet him. Ain't nothing wrong with getting A job to earn A paycheck while you're working on your dream. Dude wasn't even keeping his hair cut, just steady sitting on his ass. Calling his homeboys like "I miss y'all" but they out at the bar, and he can't even go cuz he broke. Sitting there feeling all sorry for himself. I know I wouldn't want to come home to every damn day after I just spent my 9 - 5 with some bad ass, disrespectful, researching-ass kids to get MY paper.

And Tasha is a bird. So I can why some of y'all in here like her. It's easy to be a cheerleader when you're not living with him. Tasha got "check cashing, putting-on-his-best Lawrence" when Issa had to deal with "ass sitting Lawrence". It's easy to say what you need to say when you're trying to get that DICK. Trust me. Oh, and how he she showed up to his job, Titties on DECK, when she KNEW he had a girlfriend? Just foul. Girl ain't got no scruples.

That said, Lawrence was NOT wrong to fuck her. And Issa WAS wrong to cheat. Issa just fucked up by cheating AFTER she put pressure on Lawrence to get his shit together.
I can agree with this. Even though he'd been struggling for a while, when we are introduced to him he is actively searching for work and getting some interviews. Tasha is a non factor to me, I just wanted Lawrence to go have some "him" time and get his cheating ass ex out of his head.

I really don't like her group of friends as well. They all seem to hate each other.

Blackhead

Redarse

sidenote: anybody think this is the wrong way to look at his actions?

Overpriced or not (but trust Charlamagne to know the going rate lol) the old adage is you're not paying for the sex ― you're paying for the person to leave afterwards. Maybe what Lawrence needed was some unemotional sex; get some head to clear his head. Then he wouldn't be reaching out to Issa and then running to Tasha. It's not like homeboy went over to Tasha for some face to face lovey dovey sweet talk. Nah nigga was pushing her head into the bed and smacking against that ass from behind. Tasha ain't gonna wanna leave after that (assuming she can still walk)

Issa / Tasha drama gonna be epic, especially with Lawrence on the up and up. Issa got her side piece too though. Things gonna be ugly.

Issa doesn't have a side piece anymore, after what she said to Daniel. If someone said that to me Id be done with them too. You could tell he was crushed but in a "Don't show it" kind of way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom