• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insecure - The Misadventures of an Awkward Black Girl - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. YES LORD HE IS FINE

2. Thats probably why he did it..to start the hurt process. Pretty fucked up IMO. But that power stroke he was giving Tasha tells me he had that shit all planned out.

1. He could leave me on "Read"
..no he couldn't
...tall, chocolate, and he's 30-something....mmm yes.

2. Yup. Issa at the very least felt bad about what she did, but she still did it. Lawrence probably will have a smile on his face at the start of the next season walking out of her apartment.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Issa doesn't have a side piece anymore, after what she said to Daniel. If someone said that to me Id be done with them too. You could tell he was crushed but in a "Don't show it" kind of way

That's true which makes me think well see that thread play out with her trying to rekindle things and getting denied. I'm already cringing.

Samara

Lawrence's friends are gross.The sheer hypocrisy that they are not even able to see tru. That women are supposed settle for a cheater because they have to be ''ride or die'' chicks. But Lawrence got played first, so now it's over.

Can't wait for next season, but I know Tifanny or Issa will look for a fight.

Moral of the story: Guys who wear polo shirts are good guys

zelas

Nah bruh. Ain't nothing cute about sitting on your ass, eating cereal and shit and collecting unemployment while your girl is out here hustling. Unemployment runs out. And in most states, unemployment is only half of what you was making at MOST. So I doubt them bills were getting split equally.

Oh, AND Lawrence forgot Issa's birthday. Even his dog-ass friend thought that was fucked up.

Nah, Lawrence was on some bummy shit when we meet him. Ain't nothing wrong with getting A job to earn A paycheck while you're working on your dream. Dude wasn't even keeping his hair cut, just steady sitting on his ass. Calling his homeboys like "I miss y'all" but they out at the bar, and he can't even go cuz he broke. Sitting there feeling all sorry for himself. I know I wouldn't want to come home to every damn day after I just spent my 9 - 5 with some bad ass, disrespectful, researching-ass kids to get MY paper.

And Tasha is a bird. So I can why some of y'all in here like her. It's easy to be a cheerleader when you're not living with him. Tasha got "check cashing, putting-on-his-best Lawrence" when Issa had to deal with "ass sitting Lawrence". It's easy to say what you need to say when you're trying to get that DICK. Trust me. Oh, and how he she showed up to his job, Titties on DECK, when she KNEW he had a girlfriend? Just foul. Girl ain't got no scruples.

That said, Lawrence was NOT wrong to fuck her. And Issa WAS wrong to cheat. Issa just fucked up by cheating AFTER she put pressure on Lawrence to get his shit together.
Pretty much agree with this. Lawrence was giving Issa every reason for her to check out and I wouldnt blame her if she did. But she didnt and her indecisiveness and lack of action made things worse.

I actually wished the show explored a little more why Issa was afraid to act. Maybe Issa would actually get some sympathy from me had they illustrated better how much some women fear being single. Instead they just presented Molly's self inflicted wounds as the standard experience for black women.

Amazing finale! And to think I was only going to watch this show as a favor to my gf.

The music selections are perfect too.

Playlists are up on Spotify and get many MANY spins on this end.

Man...I don't know how to take the finale. Glad Molly is still kicking it even after that brutal blowout. She remains a mess. My wife was wide eyed at Lawrence getting it IN. I have been in that weird situation. Setting yourself up to be a dog then realizing it aint in you, getting back to where you were then realizing you can't go home again. Shit is agonizing.

norinrad

Nah bruh. Ain't nothing cute about sitting on your ass, eating cereal and shit and collecting unemployment while your girl is out here hustling. Unemployment runs out. And in most states, unemployment is only half of what you was making at MOST. So I doubt them bills were getting split equally.

Oh, AND Lawrence forgot Issa's birthday. Even his dog-ass friend thought that was fucked up.

Nah, Lawrence was on some bummy shit when we meet him. Ain't nothing wrong with getting A job to earn A paycheck while you're working on your dream. Dude wasn't even keeping his hair cut, just steady sitting on his ass. Calling his homeboys like "I miss y'all" but they out at the bar, and he can't even go cuz he broke. Sitting there feeling all sorry for himself. I know I wouldn't want to come home to every damn day after I just spent my 9 - 5 with some bad ass, disrespectful, researching-ass kids to get MY paper.

And Tasha is a bird. So I can why some of y'all in here like her. It's easy to be a cheerleader when you're not living with him. Tasha got "check cashing, putting-on-his-best Lawrence" when Issa had to deal with "ass sitting Lawrence". It's easy to say what you need to say when you're trying to get that DICK. Trust me. Oh, and how he she showed up to his job, Titties on DECK, when she KNEW he had a girlfriend? Just foul. Girl ain't got no scruples.

That said, Lawrence was NOT wrong to fuck her. And Issa WAS wrong to cheat. Issa just fucked up by cheating AFTER she put pressure on Lawrence to get his shit together.

He was actively looking for a job, not exactly leeching on her. Give the man a break.

Also lol at the hair cut comment. wtf?

Glass Rebel

DqaXyQQ.png

I was really torn about the ending, even though I was on Lawrence's side. It's refreshing to see some good discussion coming out of it.

This is pretty much my assessment in that both parties share blame. Id say 60/40 Issa on the basis that she cheated.

One of the reasons Im back in a masters program is because I didnt want my gf being with a guy who isnt going anywhere cuz I wouldnt want to be with a girl who is going nowhere. I cut my hair at least every two weeks, eat right, and exercise and am continually working on clearer up my skin.

The number one mistake that people make in relationships is that they get too comfortable. They forget that there are billions of people in the world who can readily take their place. People act all perfect upfront and slowly taper off feeling like they "got" the person now. Its almost like a lot of people are looking for people to put up with then. This reminds me of a scene from Bojak ehere a character says most people stop changing when they meet people who "love" them and dont challnege them to change for the better.

In between jobs, dude could have learned to cook, asked her for help with his business plan, looked presentable, etc. He could have done many things to alleviate the tensions. I mean dude forgot her birthday though? Fuck. I even remember my exes birthday lol.

He was actively looking for a job, not exactly leeching on her. Give the man a break.

Also lol at the hair cut comment. wtf?

Lawrence admits that he got his shit together for her in the last episode so I think he assessment is a fair one. And also yes--people should strive to be sexually attractive to their spouses and S/Os. If you cant bother with personal upkeep, then dont bother with a relationship.

Edit: got some great new music from this show goddamn. My favorite show ive watched this year and ive seen Stranger Things, Narcos seasons 2, and Atlanta.

Playlists are up on Spotify and get many MANY spins on this end.

Man...I don't know how to take the finale. Glad Molly is still kicking it even after that brutal blowout. She remains a mess. My wife was wide eyed at Lawrence getting it IN. I have been in that weird situation. Setting yourself up to be a dog then realizing it aint in you, getting back to where you were then realizing you can't go home again. Shit is agonizing.

I deal with this. I tend to be meeker and quieter as a result of growing up in an abusive household. I can relate to Lawrence. Trying to break outta your "personality caste" and it never really feels like you.

Ivan 3414

I agree with your post, but the Tasha part. She only knew he had a girlfriend when he told her at Best Buy, and after which she seemed disappointed and you don't see hair nor hide of her ass until the end of the show, when Lawrence is officially done with Issa. So I'm not seeing how she's a "bird" at this point. There's nothing wrong with her wanting the D.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I agree with your post, but the Tasha part. She only knew he had a girlfriend when he told her at Best Buy, and after which she seemed disappointed and you don't see hair nor hide of her ass until the end of the show, when Lawrence is officially done with Issa. So I'm not seeing how she's a "bird" at this point. There's nothing wrong with her wanting the D.

Lawrence mentioned it beforehand when they were getting lunch in the mall that he actually had a girlfriend. I'd say her being so interested in Lawrence, she would definitely pick up on that. In that sense, she was wrong with her continued pursuit. I'm not sure that Lawrence is officially done with Issa, I think he's just having revenge sex and if anything his relationship with Tasha will be short lived. She'll basically be a rebound/coping mechanism and this will make things messy and more interesting between Lawrence, Issa, Tasha and possibly Daniel. Maybe because of Tasha he'll never end up with Issa ultimately and find someone else.

norinrad

Lawrence admits that he got his shit together for her in the last episode so I think he assessment is a fair one. And also yes--people should strive to be sexually attractive to their spouses and S/Os. If you cant bother with personal upkeep, then dont bother with a relationship.

Edit: got some great new music from this show goddamn. My favorite show ive watched this year and ive seen Stranger Things, Narcos seasons 2, and Atlanta.

I didn't think he looked bad. Just your normal type of guy with a -shirt.

If Tasha doesnt have a couple kids she been holding out telling Lawrence about i see no reason he should go back to Issa. Looks arent everything but yeah, she killing Issa by at least 3 points, she works, and she was feeling dude through the entire struggle. There has to be something up with her that we arent privy to for him to not keep her around.

royalan

If Tasha doesnt have a couple kids she been holding out telling Lawrence about i see no reason he should go back to Issa. Looks arent everything but yeah, she killing Issa by at least 3 points, she works, and she was feeling dude through the entire struggle. There has to be something up with her that we arent privy to for him to not keep her around.

What struggle?

Ain't no struggle when Tasha gets Lawrence with his best foot forward, wearing slacks and shit.

When she has to deal with lazy, wearing the same damn underwear, eating cereal at 8pm Lawrence then she can talk about being there for his struggle.

What struggle?

Ain't no struggle when Tasha gets Lawrence with his best foot forward, wearing slacks and shit.

When she has to deal with lazy, wearing the same damn underwear, eating cereal at 8pm Lawrence then she can talk about being there for his struggle.

I spit out my water.

What struggle?

She wanted him even when she knew he was unemployed.

Galang

Banned
This show is amazing! I hope the popularity picks up in the second season and the show gets the praise it deserves. Issa worked so hard to get here and it would definitely be a shame to see it end after season 2. I feel like the second season is going to be even better overall

This show is amazing! I hope the popularity picks up in the second season and the show gets the praise it deserves. Issa worked so hard to get here and it would definitely be a shame to see it end after season 2. I feel like the second season is going to be even better overall

HBO is definitely going to keep the show. She was nominated for a Golden Globe. Plus the show is relatively inexpensive to produce and more importantly has created buzz in urban markets, social media, and various mainstream online platforms.

Scribble

What struggle?

I'm veeery curious about those four years before the show. I'm not sure if Lawrence was suffering from depression all that time (which I could understand) -- he seemed stubborn about getting a job at best buy. Four years is a long time to be just 'lazy' though.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm veeery curious about those four years before the show. I'm not sure if Lawrence was suffering from depression all that time (which I could understand) -- he seemed stubborn about getting a job at best buy. Four years is a long time to be just 'lazy' though.

I think it was pride. To quote Pulp Fiction "That's just pride fucking with you." I thought he would rather collect unemployment than be underemployed. Eventually he bit the bullet, which led to him getting his confidence back though

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I thought the trailer for this show looked kinda bad TBH. Last night I was desperate for something new to watch and gave it a shot....finished the season this morning. Really good show and I'll definitely be catching the second season.

All of the characters were flawed in their own way but am I the only one who ended up just hating Molly? I mean she was a good character, but seemed like kind of an awful person.

daffy

Banned
Literally just finished season one today. I watched the first ep yesterday and was like fuck it I'll binge.

This show is fucking amazing. I want to share it on social media but then i remember its on HBO. Really wish Netflix had done something instead because no one is talking about this show. but so looking forward to S2, hopefully the audience grows. I really like the commentary on online dating and match culture. Remember when (EP3-4)
the one dude that was hella gentlemanly and then he loudly whispers "YOU TRYNA FUCK" like 😣😣😣 ....
that SHIT IS SO TRUUUUUUU.. fuck dating is so awful

broken pussy

demon

Remember when (EP3-4)
the one dude that was hella gentlemanly and then he loudly whispers "YOU TRYNA FUCK" like 😣😣😣 ....

I burst out laughing when he said that.

Remember when (EP3-4)

Hey at least he was straight up honest and to the point. A lot of women would respect that, so they can decide whether they're wasting their time and never go out with him again, or realize they are trying to fuck too and no longer have to play this "game". LOL

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
All of the characters were flawed in their own way but am I the only one who ended up just hating Molly? I mean she was a good character, but seemed like kind of an awful person.

Molly tap danced on my last nerve on a weekly basis. I think I complained about it every week in this thread lol.

I actually like her character, as frustrating as she can be. She's the spark for a lot of different conversations that come from the show. I think the writers use her as a vessel to get people talking about sexuality, mental illness, etc. Even her bad decisions, I'm guilty of pulling or having pulled on me.

Lawrence was messing up big time, got himself together and Issa still cheated on him.

Any amount of revenge sex doesn't matter because he broke up with Issa before he did it.

daffy

Banned
Hey at least he was straight up honest and to the point. A lot of women would respect that, so they can decide whether they're wasting their time and never go out with him again, or realize they are trying to fuck too and no longer have to play this "game". LOL
nah he waited until the end of the date. Don't even waste time being appealing and attentive when you know you're just trying to beat the box. imo. I also have to imagine he didn't bring that up on the app. Felt like he was expecting sex as a reward to me.

also the line during the board meeting for youth outreach where (EP3?)
one girl goes, "We can WATCH lemonade while EATING at lemonade!!"
and thinks its a good idea had me on life support. But lemonade. is good though so it touched me. :p

demon

It honestly just seemed like a relationship that had run its course more than anything.

royalan

Hey, I'm exactly the kind of thottie that shit would have worked on.

nah he waited until the end of the date. Don't even waste time being appealing and attentive when you know you're just trying to beat the box. imo. I also have to imagine he didn't bring that up on the app. Felt like he was expecting sex as a reward to me.

also the line during the board meeting for youth outreach where (EP3?)
one girl goes, "We can WATCH lemonade while EATING at lemonade!!"
and thinks its a good idea had me on life support. But lemonade. is good though so it touched me. :p

C'mon, dude is trying to maximize his chances. Before the date lowers it, as opposed to after the date when you gotten to know her better, flirted, and vibed together.

daffy

Banned
C'mon, dude is trying to maximize his chances. Before the date lowers it, as opposed to after the date when you gotten to know her better, flirted, and vibed together.
i mean, during the date is good too. Like in between the second and third wine. Not when you're hugging outside but the fact that he just walked off after at least made him a respectable fuckboy.

i mean, during the date is good too. Like in between the second and third wine. Not when you're hugging outside but the fact that he just walked off after at least made him a respectable fuckboy.

LOL Well usually it's more subtle and simply inviting her afterwards if she wants to go back to the crip and chill.

Anybody with any game knows this.

Kimaka

Just started this and on episode six. God damn it Molly, stop fucking every relationship up! The show is good as hell and too real at times.

Insecure will be back on HBO for S2 on July 23rd.
Entirely way too excited. this show needed to come back earlier than a year long break.

I rewatched season 1 and this show is so fucking important. Everything from solange's music work to the cinematography to the great writing to the raw realness of every situation. Such a fantastic show that's really the first black female experience series (of this caliber) of the decade. Issa deserves all the success + more.

That's so soon! eeeeeeee

As for Molly - she's awful but she's awful in a real way, and balanced with good, too. She's a good character.

- Variety on a Issa Rae appearance last night
Bloys brought Rae in to meet at HBO after reading about, then watching “Awkward Black Girl” — making Rae one of the few series creators in television to come from outside traditional talent-development channels.

On her web series, Rae was used to spearheading all aspects of production. While making the “Insecure” pilot, she recalled to Bloys, the line producer sat her down to check in, worried that an inexperienced writer-producer-star might be overwhelmed by the pace of television.

“I was like, ‘I kind of feel like this is a vacation,'” she said. “Everybody was doing everything. You guys hired a person who just moves plants.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom