• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Veep - Season 5 |OT| - Julia Louis-Dreyfus - Continuity With Change - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

Banned
I thought it was the series finale too. I guess I'm glad that they're already renewed for a 6th season but I'm having a hard time imagining it.

TTG

Best thing about the finale was Mike walking around with a six year old strapped to his chest and his wife Wendy brushing off a return trip into debt with a "I got my job back at the Post."

As we've talked about before, shedding some characters, namely Kent and Ben, would be good for the show. I hope next season finds Selina in the dumps, sharing a bed with Ray:

ray.jpg

I miss you buddy.

Talka

Best thing about the finale was Mike walking around with a six year old strapped to his chest and his wife Wendy brushing off a return trip into debt with a "I got my job back at the Post."

As we've talked about before, shedding some characters, namely Kent and Ben, would be good for the show. I hope next season finds Selina in the dumps, sharing a bed with Ray:

ray.jpg

I miss you buddy.

Kent and Ben are great!

Dice//

Banned
...namely Kent and Ben...

Aww I liked these two though. They paired off oddly well. A lot of Veep relationships kinda worked in the two-people groups I noticed. But yeah, while I loved the season they can definitely do well to trim some of the fat.

That was good, should be the series finale though. Armando left, the new team sailed the ship well but moving forward from this with meyer wouldn't be that hot.

Only way I see it working with a season 6 is following the new administration or something.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought the episode was pretty decent, but it was definitely the weakest finale they've done to date. Even though this season was a big step down from previous years, I still enjoy the show - that said, I kind of wish that that was the last episode of the series. I fear that what comes next will feel like milking.

obin_gam

That was good, should be the series finale though. Armando left, the new team sailed the ship well but moving forward from this with meyer wouldn't be that hot.

Only way I see it working with a season 6 is following the new administration or something.

Since this one has got blood ties to The Thick Of It, they really should focus on a new team now. It worked for that show.

BigAT

More transparent political pandering, Danny Chung talking about his military service or Laura Montez's Mexican heritage (by way of suburban Ohio)?

BigAT

Also, a Dog Bites Man reunion last night with Matt Walsh and Andrea Savage (for me and the two other people that watched that show).

DEADLINE: So, Selina’s really out of office – because at the end of the finale, we had the reveal that Sufe Bradshaw’s Sue is staying at the White House with the new president, Laura Montez (Andrea Savage) and then Martin Mull’s Bob Bradley walks up to President Montez and says, said, “Selina, we found those lost Nevada ballots. You won.” Feels like you are opening the door to another Meyer presidency there.

MANDEL: (laughs) No, that’s just a joke for those of you who enjoyed the Eagle character Martin played. You have my word that she’s not president of the United States. She is not vice-president of the United States. Veep will be the continuing adventures of former president of the United States.

Interesting he's pretty much ruling out her somehow getting back into office soo...should be interesting how they play it. I feel like it will lose its luster without the presidential office being involved. Are they just gonna bounce back and forth with what the supporting cast is up to??

it's interesting that they've built the pace up to the point where a silence of more than a second feels really profound and intense. the season outside the helicopter was really something

i'm worried about next season, the show is an ensemble at heart and it's weaker moments are when the characters get spread out too much (dan and amy leaving the white house last season jumps to mind)

KiN0

Like others have said, this episode would work great as a series finale. Selina's political career is over, and everyone attached to her is just figuring out where they're going to go. The show could follow Montez's veep, but I really don't think the premise would be as appealing without the Meyer team. After all, the actors basically carried the show with their performances.

Chase17

I wonder why they made a point of Catherine asking about the documentary twice. Seemed more than the typical Selena shutting down Catherine thing to me, probably nothing though.

KiN0

I get the feeling Selina got rid of the hard drive considering how bad she across in it. That or she didn't want any reminders of her humiliating defeat. Or maybe it was just a little joke, maybe season 6 will touch on it some more.

Selina calling out "Laow-ra"s Ohio roots was hilarious.

But yeah, not thaaat excited about following around a loser ex-president. The world freaking out about everything she did was a huge part of the charm of the show.

kmfdmpig

It sounded like they were setting Montez up with some birther stuff. But that might be a tad cheap.

I thought that was more Selina's jab at the Montez playing up her ethnicity for political gain when she grew up in suburban Ohio.

It's hard to see where the show goes from here. Why would Selina still have much of a team around her unless she immediately starts a run for Senator or Governor or something? If she's just an ex-President she wouldn't really need much staff, and without that the show doesn't work.

Revolver

I thought that was the series finale. Probably should have just left it there. I'm not really sure I want to watch Selina dealing with everyday life and the gang all scattered about.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I love the little gem of Sue staying over everyone else, especially after earlier in the season she alluded to being there for ages

I really don't know about the future of the show. It could still be good but I really don't want to see the show as a "what's everyone doing now" kind of thing. I didn't even like it when I think in S2, Jonah had his own little Internet show. I like everyone in the Offices working together. Hope they prove me wrong and make it great. I loved the last season of Parks and Rec so there's always a chance with this.

If they're gonna go with the post-presidency story, which I think could be fun, there's one thing I'd love. I hope that every event, at every appearance, and every speech by anyone who wasn't in her office, they call her "former Vice President Selina Meyer" and she has to keep correcting them that it's "former President."

Apt101

Jesus Christ this episode had me laughing the entire time. I asked my GF "why is Catherine so pretty did I miss something?" and that started a fight and god just kill me now.

zeitgeist

I love the little gem of Sue staying over everyone else, especially after earlier in the season she alluded to being there for ages

Yeah, that was great. I'm guessing she was the senior staffer that was being kept on that the guys mentioned.

TripOpt55

A good season overall. I guess I'll echo others' thoughts that I'm not sure how the show will work going forward, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it will go. The insults this year have remained great and I could certainly go for another year of them if nothing else.

Yeah I loved this.

I thought that was more Selina's jab at the Montez playing up her ethnicity for political gain when she grew up in suburban Ohio.

It's not even her ethnicity is it? I thought the joke was that she was a white chick from Ohio who is using her husband's ethnicity to pander to Latino voters.

mclem

A good season overall. I guess I'll echo others' thoughts that I'm not sure how the show will work going forward, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it will go. The insults this year have remained great and I could certainly go for another year of them if nothing else.

I wonder if Catherine's the way forward. I noticed a little bit of a role-reversal immediately before the inauguration, where Catherine is the one glammed up and asking if Selina is going to do anything with her hair, which is a nice mirror of things that have happened previously in the series.

Could Selina try to live a political life vicariously through her daughter?

Daigoro

i love this show, loved this season and will welcome is back next season gladly.

i ad forgotten about it at the time, but the lost doc does leave some loose ends. i suppose it will come into play next season somehow.

next season is totally going to be PG squirt-teen. im all in.

Earlier this season, we had Jonah (Timothy Simons) doing the Howard Dean yell as he was listing off cities incorrectly in New Hampshire

hah, i thought thats what that was as soon as i heard it and again when they did a previous eps recap. good shit lol

Apt101

This senator, the one they all voted for, is she a new character? I don't remember her and I recently rewatched some of the earlier seasons.

- Andrea Savage interview with Warming Glow

A few tidbits on Veep:
You appeared briefly early on in Veep this season before the big surprise. Did you know your character would have such a huge impact by the end of the season?

Well, the way it was done, we shot those little things from earlier [in the season] after the fact. Those were put in retroactively, I guess is what it’s called, because they didn’t cast my role until the end of their finale. Then they had to go back and shoot a couple things to get it so I was a presence a little bit in the season before that. All those little things where I’m standing and listening to the speeches were all shot during the same time we’re shooting the finale. When I went in originally and read with Julia I didn’t know. They had fake signs, [but] they didn’t tell me what it was going to be. It wasn’t until after I got the role that they told me what it was. It was very, very secretive.

So they had you read for a bit part on the show, but once you landed the role, you found out you’d end the season as the president-elect?

Yes. Basically, I was a senator who maybe isn’t as pathetic as she’s made out to be. I went in, and then read the script, and Julia was like, “Why don’t we just improvise some stuff?” Then they gave me a speech to kind of cold read, which I was like, “That’s weird. Why would I need this? Why would I need to do a whole speech?” Little did I know what they were going for. So, it was just sort of loose, and I was just a senator from New Mexico. I had no idea what it meant in the show, or anything.

How was it being able to do some improv with a cast like that?

It’s pretty cool. I have a big improv background so it’s fun to come on a show like that. It’s interesting because they improvise a lot in rehearsals and then find the script. By the time you’re on set there’s some improv, but not a ton, at least for my stuff. Well, that’s not true. It was a bit of a mix, it depends on the scene I guess. I love stuff like that where there’s new lines being thrown out on the set to you. There’s an energy to it which is fun.

Did your improv background help keep you from laughing and ruining takes?

I don’t know why, but I have a very strong no-laugh ability through improv like this. Somehow I’m okay getting through those, and then when they yell “cut” I burst out hysterically laughing. I’m able to kind of contain it throughout, then let it all out after, which is good.

Do you have any idea what kind of role your character is going to play in the next season?

I literally don’t think anyone knows that answer. I believe the writers room for next season is starting around now. I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom