• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO's Veep - Season 3 - Running for president and busting her lady balls - Daniwah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

(My draft thread was all corrupted so I'll be fixing it now, sorry for the initial bareness!)

9t1AnrP.jpg

HBO premieres the third season of the Emmy®-nominated comedy series created by Armando Iannucci (Oscar® nominee for co-writing In the Loop) that takes a sharp, satirical look at the insular world of Washington politics. Following the whirlwind day-to-day existence of Vice President Selina Meyer (Julia Louis-Dreyfus in her Emmy®- winning role), Veep hilariously skewers everyday office politics, against the backdrop of the second highest office in the land. After the revelation at the end of S2 that the president will not run for reelection, Season 3 begins with Selina, eying a promotion, courting Iowa caucus voters at a signing for her new book, Some New Beginnings. Soon, Selina and her staff, back in D.C. for Mike's (Matt Walsh) wedding, learn that Secretary of Defense Maddox is resigning – setting Selina up for a possible run in the presidential primaries against Maddox and her nemesis, war-vet Danny Chung. Over the course of this season's 10 episodes, Selina and her staff will set up an exploratory campaign office in D.C. and travel to Silicon Valley (to raise money) and London (to meet with heads of state), while Amy (Anna Chlumsky) and Dan (Reid Scott) vie to be Selina's campaign manager. As always, Veep will continue to show that in Washington, even the most banal decisions can have ripple effects, with unexpected and far-reaching consequences.
http://www.hbo.com/veep

*SEASON 3 PREMIERES SUNDAY AT 10:30*

Season 3 Trailer

Clip from the premiere (spoiler tag discussion of it, please)

Cast

Julia Louis Drefus as Vice President Selina Meyer
j3huQ9a.jpg

Anna Chumksky as Amy Brookheimer
sujLWHD.jpg

Tony Hale as Gary Walsh
LuuMy8z.jpg

Reid Scott as Dan Egan
rhSZq0b.jpg

Matt Walsh as Mike McLintock
F4gUtux.jpg

Sufe Bradshaw as Sue Wilson
sw79QPt.jpg

Kevin Dunn as Ben Caffery
W71BvSS.jpg

Timothy Simons as Jonah Ryan
gSrOXAW.jpg

Reviews

AV Club: A-

In that love of the joke, Veep has become the clearest heir to 30 Rock and Arrested Development, and specific bits throughout the season recall both series. None of these comedy stalwarts lacks perspective or voice just because the focus is on the funny. They just don’t often inflate with gravitas. When public opinion on abortion comes back reporting “most of America standing up proudly and saying, ‘I don’t know,’” Veep is making a point. It just doesn’t get in the way of the comedy.

Alan Sepinwall: Veep returns stronger than ever

The new season picks up with Selina and her team making preliminary campaign plans, frustrated that they've had to wait months for POTUS to make things official, and it continues the upward creative trajectory. The closer Selina has gotten to genuine power, the funnier and smarter "Veep" has become. It's forced Ianucci to bring in real political issues — not so he can preach about them, but simply to give greater weight to all of the jokes about how politicians' beliefs (if they have any to begin with) take a backseat to political reality." "...The show's as cynical as ever, but it doesn't feel nearly as empty. Selina's more of an actual character — and has become an accomplished slinger of four-letter verbiage in her own right — and even if the team's screw-ups remain inevitable, the ways in which they screw up feel far less predictable."

Empty

i didn't realize this was back so soon, even though obviously it would be.

hope they can live up to the wonderful season 2

SamVimes

The show with the best insults:
"Jonah, you're not even a man, you're like an early draft of a man where they just sketched out a giant, mangled skeleton but they didn't have time to add details like pigment or self-respect. You're Frankenstein's monster if his monster was made entirely of dead dicks."

"You like traveling and having sex right? Then you can go fuck yourself"

xbhaskarx

Excited for the return... GoT, Veep, Silicon Valley

it's no curb your enthusiasm whenever that decides to come back

I just finished re-watching every episode of Curb on HBO GO because HBO has been so dead over the last few months, and the last season originally aired in... 2011?? When is it coming back?

rezuth

Excited for the return... GoT, Veep, Silicon Valley

I just finished re-watching every episode of Curb on HBO GO because HBO has been so dead over the last few months, and the last season originally aired in... 2011?? When is it coming back?

He didn't turn down the idea last year and Jeff Garlin has hinted that he expects them to make a new season this year.

Dice//

Banned
Honestly my favourite comedy these days.

I'm amazed at how many jokes every minute can pack in that it honestly and probably will take a view re-watches to get 'em all.

Mr. F

Banned
The show with the best insults:
"Jonah, you're not even a man, you're like an early draft of a man where they just sketched out a giant, mangled skeleton but they didn't have time to add details like pigment or self-respect. You're Frankenstein's monster if his monster was made entirely of dead dicks."

"You like traveling and having sex right? Then you can go fuck yourself"

"How slow do you run, Will? Tell her."
"Slower than a Mississippi detective investigating the murder of a young black man."

Can't wait for it to be back.

Tucah

you speak so well
My favorite comedy on TV, rarely a minute goes by without something hilarious being said. Cannot wait.

meijiko

Subbed. Love this show. Husband and I have probably seen the first season six times through. Quotes are heard often in our household.

"Hey, it's everybody's favorite Jonah!"

"You're not even your mom's favorite Jonah, Jonah."

I just popped into HBO and am watching some random bit right now about the main character making food with her family (ex husband?) and her daughter who she didn't know was vegetarian.

This is so awkwardly hilarious, is the rest of the show this good?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I just popped into HBO and am watching some random bit right now about the main character making food with her family (ex husband?) and her daughter who she didn't know was vegetarian.

This is so awkwardly hilarious, is the rest of the show this good?

Yes.

okno

I AM SO FREAKING EXCITED!

I can't even begin to describe how excited I am. I've been a huge proponent of the show since the beginning, and have been anxiously awaiting for news of the new season since the end of season 2.

The other day, in a hungover state, I just let all of season 1 and 2 play non-stop in the background, without watching the TV for more than five minutes at a time, just because I found the sound of Julia's voice so soothing. This is, without question, my favorite current TV show and, in my opinion, the best sitcom since Arrested Development. Just a brilliant, brilliant piece of work.

edit: SO EXCITED This is basically me in a nutshell whenever I see anything about season 3.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yessss. Hope they manage to make this one on par or even better than S2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom