• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Veep - Season 5 |OT| - Julia Louis-Dreyfus - Continuity With Change - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
pK7twQo.jpg

Veep returns for a fifth season on April 24th at 10:30pm ET on HBO. Creator Armando Iannucci has left the show (his explanation here) and David Mandel (Curb Your Enthusiasm, Seinfeld, SNL) is taking the helm as showrunner for this season. The fifth season will consist of 10 episodes.

- S5 Trailer

Former Senator Selina Meyer (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) has accepted the call to serve as Vice President of the United States. The job is nothing like she imagined and everything she was warned about. 'Veep' follows Meyer and her staff as they attempt to make their mark and leave a lasting legacy, without getting tripped up in the day-to-day political games that define Washington.

Meyer's inner circle includes: her chief of staff Amy (Anna Chlumsky), longtime press spokesperson Mike McClintock (Matt Walsh), right hand and body man Gary (Tony Hale) and secretary Sue (Sufe Bradshaw) all of whom often do battle with Dan Egan (Reid Scott) an ambitious interloper and smug White House liaison Jonah (Tim Simons).

Created by Armando Iannucci (The Thick of It, In the Loop), the comedy is scripted but shot in an improvisational style. 'Veep' is authentic without being specifically biographical about what it is like to hold the least effectual post in the most powerful office in the world.

S5 Poster:

SamVimes

I'm a little worried because this will be the first season without Armando Iannucci but hopefully the writing room will still pull it together.

addik

Despite the creative changes, I'm quite excited for the new season. I am not trying to keep my hype up, but I'm actually curious to see where the new writing team is going to take the show.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Whilst the creative changes are a concern for the quality, they are also an opportunity. Veep was getting tired, this is definitely an opportunity to freshen things up.

SamVimes

Whilst the creative changes are a concern for the quality, they are also an opportunity. Veep was getting tired, this is definitely an opportunity to freshen things up.

Respectfully disagree. Veep was getting better and better, and while I'm still hopeful about the new season I seriously doubt anyone can do the job as wellas Iannucci. While this is kinda unrelated he's talking very vaguely about his new project on twitter, which makes me pretty excited

Just started watching this show, and...it's The Thick of It. Why was I not informed that The Thick of It still sort of exists.

Finished season 1, show is really fun and I'm excited to see more.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Cautiously optimistic about the season. Hopefully it manages to be good without Iannucci.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I'm almost more excited for this coming back than I am Game of Thrones

Not even. Show gets funnier and funnier. Jonah and Richard being paired together was a hilarious addition last season. Especially that episode where they spent the day with Dan.

TripOpt55

Caught up on this in the off-season. What a great show. The insults are incredible. Didn't know until after I caught up about the creative team changes. Hopefully they can keep things going this season. Such a funny show.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
"You have three kids by two different guys, maybe your last word should have been no

one of my favourite lines ever

- Mercury News review:
Fortunately, in the early going, there's no perceptible falloff. The show remains loose and loopy and packed with savage wit. Also, the crude verbal barbs continue at a fast and frantic pace, making even the highly vicious real-life presidential debates that we've been watching this year look like preschool playtime.
- Newsday review
Among “Veep” fans (OK, at least me) there was cause for concern at this time last year when showrunner Armando Iannucci told HBO he would leave at the end of the fourth season. The Scottish-born, Oxford-educated Milton scholar who created one of TV’s definitive political satires (“The Thick of It”) and would then go on to create an even more definitive satire (this one) couldn’t leave. How would “Veep” possibly continue without his scabrous wit and genius for comic sedition?

But we needn’t have worried. Everything is fine here, and even better than that. “Veep” is still a riot, Louis-Dreyfus as well, and a bracing antitoxin to the real-world lunacy that has settled over the current presidential race. Watching Selina screw up her own race is another TV affirmation of Murphy’s Law on steroids — what can go wrong will go wrong, and go wrong in spectacular fashion.

Grade: A+

Jb

That's a relief. I was really worried the show's quality would nosedive after Iannucci's s departure.

Tim Goodman @ THR said:
There’s ferocious hilarity in the first episode of #Veep. It’s like the show wanted to come out and kick ass on all these acclaimed comedies

The other eps are great as well, but wow, that first one is like a machine gun…#Veep

- IndieWire review
Now, the reigning best comedy has a new captain, and HBO didn't come up short on the search. David Mandel, a seven-time Emmy nominee who wrote for Louis-Dreyfus on "Seinfeld" in addition to gigs with "Saturday Night Live," "The Simpsons" and "Curb Your Enthusiasm," seems like the perfect choice on paper, and he's doing an exceptional job thus far keeping the series on course. Smooth sailing can also be credited to frequent "Veep" director Chris Addison, employed for the first three episodes, as blocking the endless verbal assaults tossed around like hand grenades is an art in and of itself. Those who don't pay close attention to the behind-the-scenes industry action aren't likely to notice much of a difference between Season 4 and 5, even while those of us who do care may pick up an oh-so-subtle, largely indefinable alteration.

Grade: A

- Paste Magazine interview with Tony Hale

addik

I'm pretty happy with the reviews so far. It looks like the only caveat this season is that there weren't so much new characters introduced, which I'm fine with since the cast is already pretty bloated.

Can't wait for the 24th (or in our case, the 25th)

obin_gam

I kinda wish HBO would space out their series a bit more.
Veep, GoT and Silicon Valley all on the same day... I mean, hooray! But at the same time - all of these will also end at the same day in ten weeks which will create a slight vacuum :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom