• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Veep - Season 4 - Presented by Vitamin J - HBO Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyer

I don't know which one out of One Erection, The Pointless Giant, Guyscraper or Spewbacca is my favorite nickname

Fantastic episode LOL

What a joy to watch that House of Cards fall. Poor Bill LOL.

"Want me to take my shirt off so you can see the knives on my back?"

Amazing episode. Everyone brought out the funny

“Jraq, Jizzy Gillespie, Jack and the Giant Jackoff, Gaylien, Tinkerballs, Wadzilla, One Erection”
“The Pointless Giant, The 60 Foot Virgin, Jimpanzee, Jonah Ono, Hagrid’s Nutsack, Scrotum Pole, Transgenderformers, 12 Years a Slave to Jerking Off, Benedict CumInHisOwnHand, Guyscraper, The Cloud Botherer, Supercalifragilisticexbialidickcheese, Teenage Mutant Ninja Asshole, Spewbacca”

lmao

Dice//

Banned
While I found the episode kinda slow, the bits that worked REAAALLLY worked.

• Selina's overall emotional nuances during her deposition questioning are perfect.
  • Dan sort of 'losing edge' during his depositional
  • Amy's super modest outfit during the second hearing
  • Yes, the nicknames (this show has a way of making nicknames; even if it's offensive, I want the Veep writing team to make like 10 for me)
  • Turning against both the bill and Bill

It's over next week for another year... why god why.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
The bit with Kent and Bill was really great. Kent steals every scene. I also like how Ben's hard edge is slowly being shown - they seem to have consciously avoided replicating Tucker.

I have to say though, that this season has felt increasingly like treading water. They've juggled around Jonah, Richard, Amy and Dan so much it feels ridiculous and contrived. One of the advantages The Thick Of It had was that it wasn't the absolute top of government. It was a backwater department, which gave them plausible scope for failure. With the VP/President that isn't there - the stakes are too high for anyone to seriously remain lingering. I mean Jonah has done almost every job. Amy was campaign manager or whatever and was fired to become a lobby - huge news. But no...

Simon Blackwell (original writer on The Thick Of It/In The Loop) is also leaving Veep at the end of this series. Big shame.

https://twitter.com/simonblackwell/status/610098608701095937

Oh my, really worried about next season now. As much as I love the show, it seems like tonight's episode would be a good finale (especially based on that Iannucci article posted above).

Shot in a day, filming was an entirely unique experience to the series. Instead of allowing improvising, which has become a popular element of the show, Iannucci had the entire cast learn their scripts and started filming them immediately upon entering the room designed for their depositions. And they filmed in "real time," only allowing characters to watch scenes that would have aired live on TV as in a real deposition. When finished, that was it, each of the actors were free to go.

From that same article, it seems like they shot last week's episode similarly to how the Thick of It's inquiry episody was shot.

Sloane

Banned
Oh my, really worried about next season now.
Eh, I think David Mandel could be great as Veep's showrunner and I'm actually kind of looking forward to the changes.

The current season is still a lot of fun but I agree with whoever said it that it's starting to feel like they're treading water -- and some parts don't make a lot of sense, especially when it comes to Dan, Amy, and kind of Jonah.

Not uncommon for a show in its fourth season and that's strongly driven by the voice of its creator, so, who knows, maybe the shake-up will help the show find a new direction. And if it turns to crap, well, we got four great to awesome seasons!

Jigorath

Banned
The current season is still a lot of fun but I agree with whoever said it that it's starting to feel like they're treading water -- and some parts don't make a lot of sense, especially when it comes to Dan, Amy, and kind of Jonah.

Really? Dan, Jonah, and Richard are my favorite dynamic on the show. It's like watching the three stooges.

KiN0

Jonah and Richard are perfect together. They really are those incompetents twits you send when you don't want something done. Dan and Amy are kind of fun but the show focuses mainly on the white house staff. Brining lobbyists in as part of the main cast makes things too messy imo.

Burt

I need to get a gif of "The rulebook's been torn up and America is wiping its nasty ass with it" to keep in my back pocket for the next time we topple a FIFA dictatorship or Florida Man makes international headlines.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This season's jumps in time made it all feel a bit disjointed. Like there was an election going on, but it never really felt like there was one going on since they focused so much on these tiny episodic moments. Which is why I was surprised that tonight was an election night episode. The fact that it ends on a tie is hilariously fitting I suppose, given that everything that can go wrong does go wrong.

Hazmat

Jonah embracing being known for getting his balls groped was awesome, as was Selina getting shocked. Great finale.

Vyer

Great finale. love how James' ambitions seemed to kind of creep in slowly.

Good way for Iannucci to close it. I hope there isn't too bad a drop (or none at all) next season. :(

One of the best episodes in a while.

Fun to see Jonah riding high even if it is still sorta pathetic.

The inside finger pointing and blame game being broken up with the team actually having a common goal in an episode is good.

And now the potential infighting has some legit stakes.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought that was a great episode. Probably my favorite of the season.

"Fuck Iowa. I'd say 'Nuke it' but I think someone already did."

lol

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Like is this a legit thing election wise?
Can two ties result in a vp becoming president?
If so fucking kudos to the writers for finding a way to get her to be vp again

but why would the second vote be a tie? with the amount of back-door handshakes and fuckery that will happen next season surely there won't be a tie.

would be hilarious if selina was tom's veep tho.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I cant see why theyd bring it up and not use it
Will probably time jump to her being veep and ignore all the fuckery

Peru

Honestly, I don't want her to be Veep again.

Being President offers more possibilities.

Restrictions as well, though. And in many ways the VP position better shows off the mundane maneuvring making up most of DC politics. The show is really about people sorta successfully playing the political game and yet losing at making politics happen.

mnannola

So it seems like this is a real thing:

http://blog.constitutioncenter.org/2012/11/an-electoral-college-tie-explained/

Although it was first addressed by Article II, if there were a tie in the Electoral College we would follow the process outlined in the 12th Amendment (ratified in 1804): “the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President” and “the Senate shall choose the Vice-President.”

The catch is that the votes in the House aren’t tallied by each representative: “the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote.” That means that all the representatives within a given state vote as a bloc, and each state has one vote. The majority of votes within that state bloc determine its vote.

The votes in the Senate are cast by the individual senators.

That also means that with an even 50 votes in the House and 50 in the Senate (D.C. doesn’t get a vote), there is potential for yet another tie vote. But the 12th Amendment covers that too: “if the House of Representatives shall not choose a President whenever the right of choice shall devolve upon them, before the fourth day of March next following, then the Vice-President shall act as President, as in case of the death or other constitutional disability of the President.” This section was later superseded by the 20th Amendment, which moved the start of the new session of Congress from March to early January.

If the Senate is unable to break a tie for the vice president, according to the Presidential Succession Act of 1947, the speaker of the House serves as acting president.

Peru

My favorite overall character remains Amy - she works on all levels, whether on nervous breakdown or cocksure in her role. Only problem this season is there wasn't enough of her. Almost all the character additions in this show have been great but Dan and Amy should remain the backbone. I thought they were funny as a lobbying team though and wouldn't have minded seeing more from that side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom