• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

68th Primetime Emmys | Hosted by Jimmy Kimmel | Sept. 18 7e/4p

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was quite surprised to see Game of Thrones win initially, as such an average show seems out of keeping with the normal quality that goes to the drama award winner (and I also just forgot that it won last year as well)

But now that I actually look at past winners I guess I just never really realized how garbage the award has largely been. They just seemed to get lucky from the time I started to pay attention to them, with a stretch from Sopranos in 07 to Breaking Bad's final win where they pretty much were picking the best show on TV in those two plus Mad Men and Homeland S1. Probably would have been a lot less impressive if I had seen the two previous years when Lost and 24 won. Or if I'd seen the zero nominations for The Wire, zero nominations for The Shield, only one for Deadwood or West Wing beating out The Sopranos again and again. Game of Thrones wins are just back to normality, just picking any really popular shows that manage to maintain at least a 7/10 quality most times.

Or maybe GoT is better than you think and not everyone shares your opinion?

Also Lost and 24 are both amazing shows. Sometimes capturing the imagination of the entire world or bringing something new to the table is worth more to people?

Blader

I get people being upset about GoT winning best drama last year (I liked S5 just fine, but I agree it was their weakest or one of their weaker seasons). But they had their best season yet this year. I think it was plenty well earned.

Wait why did Battle of the Bastards get Best Writing? There was like virtually none in that episode.

Well, unless there was a lot of "And they fight" placeholders in the script, they still have to write the logistics of how the battles actually play out.

That said, The Winds of Winter deserved that award more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom