• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

69th Primetime Emmys | Hosted by Stephen Colbert | Sept. 17 8e/5p

Hesemonni

Banned
Other religions have done terrible stuff in the past, Scientology is doing terrible stuff in the present.
You're right, modern day cults don't enjoy the benefit of the doubt like older religions do. But Scientology is a murderous and abusive cult that only persists because of the massive amounts of wealth celebrities pour into it.
I'll need a list of things that "fly" before responding..
I feel a bit bad for starting the conversation, not because of the topic, but the fact I'm driving for the next 6 hrs and it's going to be a bit hard to discuss for obvious reasons. Thanks for the replies guys!

On topic: Better Call Saul got robbed :(

duckroll

It's the worst season objectively. It's got great spectacle though.

There is...there's a reason we give out awards based on it. I mean you can objectively compare the writing from one season to another. Same with acting, plot, music, special effects ect.

Ah that must be why GoT S5 and S6 won outstanding series and best directiing awards at the Emmys after not winning any of those in Seasons 1-4. Hence objectively, the series is getting better and better! When S7 wins next year too, we'll see how objective that is! :D

There's a reason he has that tag.

He's actually right about HBO. We're the ones who were wrong. Trust me on this. :(

ZeoVGM

Banned
dead souls is one of the robots from Westworld but he's on his third personality.

His original was a man who knew how to love.

It's a shame Donald Glover didn't get the hat trick for Acting, Directing and Writing, but I'm definitely not against Master of None winning in that last category.

Why is Moss scorned because of her religion?

And why does that shit fly on GAF?

it's the new kid on the block and gets picked on, the Mormons are just happy to not be the youngest anymore. the post college kids are still hanging around to taunt/bother them. and the old ones are dead after that one drunken party and just considered myths now

Joeku

it's the new kid on the block and gets picked on, the Mormons are just happy to not be the youngest anymore. the post college kids are still hanging around to taunt/bother them. and the old ones are dead after that one drunken party and just considered myths now

Scientology is just a modern cult.

Most ancient religions probably are too, but they have the benefit of the doubt because they've been around for far too long for anyone to pinpoint the exact creation of them, unlike Hubbard and Scientology.

The fact that we can see the inception of this dumb shit should tell you exactly why it's free reign to get shit on; that it explicitly targets people for their wealth and status should just make it all the more obvious.

People are way too fucking willing to look to some horseshit "guidance" for their state of being instead of holding a proper moral core; it's fucking sad that we even need shit like Leah Remini's documentary to try to tell this story: Scientology is a fucking scam and always has been.

Zoggy

its just one of those shows. like The Walking Dead. but that show is actually shit but fans looooove it. at least GoT is actually pretty good a lot of the time

--------------------------------

Also just realized they left off Charlie Murphy in the In Memoriam but didn't forget fucking Roger Ailes. WHAT THE FUCK, EMMY'S!!!???
Roger ailes was honored ?????

What the fuck

Glad to see Westworld didn't win shit. That show was good for one and a half episodes and rapidly devolved into pretentious philosophical retread.

Game of Thrones was great this season. I don't understand why some nerds always have to attack a successfull show like this.

I got into the show for the scheming and the wit and the complex characterization. This season was a lot of dragons, ice zombies, and "Oh hey, we haven't seen each other since 3 seasons ago. Remember?"

EDIT: Surprised to see San Junipero get so much love. One of my least favorite episodes of Black Mirror.

Hazmat

The Frank Pembleton shoutout was great.

That was a deep cut and pretty cool to hear. I haven't seen This Is Us, but if what I've seen Sterling K. Brown in is any indication, with Homicide appreciation thrown in this win makes me happy.

I was also glad to see Lena Waithe and Aziz Ansari win for their episode of Master of None. Best episode of TV of the season for me. Just about perfect.

jfkgoblue

So happy for Sterling (Dude is so underrated) and Gambino.

More people need to watch This Is Us.
Yeah he is so good in it. The episode where
He has a mental breakdown
is one of the best acted episodes I have ever seen. This is Us is like the first network show I have watched in 6-7 years and it's really good. Depressing as fuck though.

Fitts

Checked this thread before the show to see what was nominated. Never heard of Handmaid's Tale or This is Us, so I figured they would win all the things.

...yup.

Also, I really don't get the love for Veep. It's not terrible, but it just always goes for the lowest hanging fruit. Both the writing and delivery of the persistently crass dialogue is so awkward and forced.

Most ancient religions probably are too, but they have the benefit of the doubt because they've been around for far too long for anyone to pinpoint the exact creation of them, unlike Hubbard and Scientology.

The fact that we can see the inception of this dumb shit should tell you exactly why it's free reign to get shit on; that it explicitly targets people for their wealth and status should just make it all the more obvious.

People are way too fucking willing to look to some horseshit "guidance" for their state of being instead of holding a proper moral core; it's fucking sad that we even need shit like Leah Remini's documentary to try to tell this story: Scientology is a fucking scam and always has been.
sounds like you're trying to stop the "Soldiers of the One"

you can't stop Zoe Graystone

Phased

So happy for San Junipero.

Probably the best thing I've watched in the last full year, and easily my favorite Black Mirror episode.

It's weird because San Junipero isn't the episode I'd recommend to people if they wanted to get into the show, that would probably be the Christmas Special. Junipero is kind of its own thing in the Black Mirror universe in that it's a pretty optimistic story, so expecting more of that from the show would set you up for a big let down.

So weird that Stranger Things won nothing, I mean not that it counts, cause its still a marvelous show, yet kinda weird.

Cant wait for season 2 cause season 1 was intense

SomTervo

Mormonism is too, it's just got around 120 years head start on scientology.

Anyway, sounds like the awards were solid. SJ's win is such a relief.

Game-Biz

Scientology isn't a religion, it's a cult, it's dangerous and should be banned and its leaders imprisoned.

Yep. Really sad that she's in that piece of shit cult. Great actress, but anyone who gives money to and supports that religion is scum.

Game of Thrones was great this season. I don't understand why some nerds always have to attack a successfull show like this.

It was good when it was an obscure fantasy novel but now that Jocks like it, we can't support it.

But... the writing?! To D&D's credit, the show was easier to adapt in the earlier seasons, as it was more stationary, and there was a stronger base to work off. It started off as a show where the characters drove the plot. This changed with the last few seasons (the cracks started to show in S4) where the needs of the plot noticeably maneuvered the characters to where the plot needed them to be. I also know what a monster ASOIAF would be to adapt, but the further D&D strayed from the books and had to rely on their own writing, the larger and larger the cracks became. What I loved about the show in the earlier seasons - and the books - is that there often is no catharsis. Characters don't always get the payback they desire, and some die in utterly anti-climatic ways. Things (and life) doesn't unfold the way you want it to. S5 onwards definitely started to slip into the fan-service department in particular, and has continued so from there. Characters also are a lot more black and white, and a lot of that delicious and complicated morally gray nuance is now gone. Cersei is still fantastic, though.

Without any nerd/jock rubbish, S1 and S2 of GoT are at a different level of writing and pacing quality to where the show is now. The spectacle of it all is still a blast, though, and it's been great to see the show's fanbase grow and grow. I think a lot of shows got greenlit because of Game of Thrones that wouldn't have otherwise (including my precious Black Sails). Mad Men, then Breaking Bad, then Game of Thrones were kind of the catalyst for a new era of television, and GoT in particular turned television viewing into a weekly talking point spectacle on the level of films. I really mourn the drop in writing quality with the show itself, but I can appreciate the other positives GoT has brought to the table.

Even considering the fact that The Leftovers was unjustly snubbed by the Emmys, pretty glad that the Emmys did a decent job this year.

I'm absolutely thrilled and shocked by the success of San Junipero, which was just a phenomenal piece of television. I thought it was cool that it got nominated for anything, but I never expected it to actually win two Emmys. It would have been such a farce had it lost to The Wizard of Lies or Henrietta Lacks, as I expected it would, given that those two films weren't nearly as good as they should have been.

Also happy for The Handmaid's Tale, though those wins were entirely unsurprising. I was pretty certain it would clean up. Probably the most happy for Ann Dowd.

So weird that Stranger Things won nothing, I mean not that it counts, cause its still a marvelous show, yet kinda weird.

It's a good show, but it's not one of the best dramas on television so it really didn't even deserve all those nominations.

berzeli

Banned
Veep probably won't be eligible for next year.

Reed Morano's win is pretty cool (still, Lesli Linka Glatter desrves one as well)
Female directors broke another glass ceiling tonight when Reed Morano won an Emmy for best director in a drama series for The Handmaid’s Tale. Morano is only the third woman ever to win the category — and the first in 22 years — after Karen Arthur for Cagney & Lacey in 1985 and Mimi Leader won for ER in 1995. Arthur was the first female director to get an Emmy nomination in the category 30 years after it was launched.

jfkgoblue

Stranger Things won nothing because it had no business being even nominated. I saw every one of the nominated dramas besides the Handmaids tale.(Ironic I guess considering it won) and Stranger Things was maybe better than WestWorld, but the rest? It wasn't even close.

Side note: I hope This is Us brings back the network non-procedural drama.

I think people are being a bit harsh on Moss. Yes, Scientology sucks but she was born into it and was raised being taught that this is the way. It's hard to get out from under something like that.

No I'm just curious why someone's irrational belief and trust in a certain imaginary being is somehow better than other's.

And as scientology has a religion status in places it's just weird.

The crazier bits of religion get pooped on all the time. It's a question of ratios as to how the rules of said religion are interpreted as insane or 'ok, whatever.'

*Thou shalt not kill
'ok, whatever, fine'
*Don't eat pigs
'lol ok u crazy

Scientology is all crazy

jfkgoblue

The crazier bits of religion get pooped on all the time. It's a question of ratios as to how the rules of said religion are interpreted as insane or 'ok, whatever.'

*Thou shalt not kill
'ok, whatever, fine'
*Don't eat pigs
'lol ok u crazy

Scientology is all crazy
Slightly OT, but the don't eat pigs made sense at the time, pigs were a huge resource drain in the ancient Middle East so it just wasn't very practical to raise them. Thus the major middle eastern religions just banned them. Christianity adapted later on to allow pig eating, but Judaism and Islam didn't.

I also think part of the reason no one shits on Christians is that it has always more or less adapted to the modern world and over time tempered its crazy beliefs. In fact, I truly believe that within our lifetimes mainstream Christianity will fully embrace gay marriage, it's already happening.

Miracle

I'm glad Riz Ahmed won an Emmy. Loved The Night Of. Although I thought it was BS that John Turtello was also listed as a lead actor because if he was supporting, he would have easily won that too.

Top Bottom