• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Primetime Emmys Nominations

I see Handmaids Tale winning drama and actress.(I haven't even seen the show) Bobby Brown will get supporting, Atlanta wins the best comedy and my boy John Oliver for Variety Talk Series. The rest are toss ups for me.

Bladenic

No Emmy Rossum again, whatever.

Very happy to see Kathryn Hahn for Transpent, her character was the best thing about S3.

El Topo

Are the Emmys trying to compete with the Grammys for most worthless award?

You shit on the Grammys, but the Grammys have historically been much, much better at some things (such as gender representation) than e.g. music critics as a whole. For as much shit as they get, they're not all *that* bad.

Goodstyle

These Emmy noms have me like

804.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My picks from the nominees:

Drama: The Crown
Comedy: Master of None
Miniseries: The Night Of

Drama Acting:
Actress: Claire Foy, The Crown
Actor: None of the above
Supporting Actress: None of the above
Supporting Actor: Ron Cephas Jones, This is Us

Comedy Acting:
Lead Actor: Aziz Ansari, Master of None
Lead Actress: Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
Supporting Actor: Louie Anderson, Baskets
Supporting Actress: Vanessa Bayer, Saturday Night Live

Limited Series Acting
Lead Actress: Reese Witherspoon, Big Little Lies
Lead Actor: John Turturro, The Night Of
Supporting Actress: Laura Dern, Big Little Lies
Supporting Actor: Alexander Skarsgard, Big Little Lies

Variety Talk: None of the above
Variety Sketch: Saturday Night Live
Reality Competition: The Amazing Race
Structured Reality: Antiques Roadshow
Unstructured Reality: Gaycation
Reality Host: RuPaul Charles

TV Movie: Black Mirror's San Junipero

I've seen I think about 90% of the nominees across all these categories.

I wish they had an animated section just so we could see Rick and Morty or Bojack get fucking robbed.

The only category I have strong feelings for is Black Mirror winning TV movie and Silicon Valley winning best comedy.

Edit: omg they do and omg they did

Meier

It's a shame that High Maintenance wasn't recognized. It's such a fantastic show. Vice Principals getting snubbed is unfortunate as well.. maybe next year.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The Leftovers being ignored is a clear mistake but overall, it's hard to get upset at this list of nominees. It's just an insane amount of quality in talent in most categories.

However, I will say that Real Time being nominated is an embarrassment, let alone over Seth Myers. Trevor Noah would have been an easy choice over Real Time as well.

Bill Maher's blatant ignorance shouldn't be rewarded.

Nothing for Twin peaks? a real shame...
The first seasons(well,the first one,at least) were completely ignored because they didn't realize the show's importance back then, but surely they could have remedied it now

ZeoVGM

Banned
The first seasons(well,the first one,at least) were completely ignored because they didn't realize the show's importance back then, but surely they could have remedied it now

Only 4 of 18 episodes had aired before the cutoff.

AoM

The first season got 14 nominations. Or do you mean in terms of wins?

Very happy to see Odenkirk, Keri Russell, Matthew Rhys and Westworld and its actors getting noms, they were all stellar. However, the lack of Michael McKean, Rhea Seehorn and above all, The Leftovers and its cast, is just utter BS.

Apt101

Julia Louis-Dreyfus is probably going to win, but I want Ellie Kemper to. I think she was the best of the comedic bunch this year.

Nice to see Liev Schreiber nominated for best actor.
He is criminally underrated as Ray Donovan.

Also WW should sweep every award its up for. Phenomenal show.

Chumley

Banned
Absolute bullshit that Carrie Coon is nominated for Fargo and not The Leftovers. This shit is just a popularity contest.

The Leftovers got fucking robbed. Like, how does Carrie Coon get a nomination for fucking Fargo but not The Leftovers? It makes no sense. Coon and Theroux both deserved nominations. I'm pissed, this is bullshit.

Yep. It's purely based on ratings, not talent. Fuck the Emmy's.

I've seen all of the performances nominated for Lead Actress, and none of them come within the same stratosphere as Coon's performance in The Leftovers. I think anyone else who's seen Season 3 can agree.

No.

More like Leftovers robbed my time.

Glad to see the vapid emptiness at the heart of the Leftovers and Lindelof was recognized.

You're on permanent ignore for making this post.

Not a single mention about the 4th most nominated show? GAF has awful taste.
Jessica Lange has Lead Actress In A Limited Series locked in. Would also love to see Molina win it, the whole cast was brilliant.

Jessica Lange has Lead Actress In A Limited Series locked in. Would also love to see Molina win it, the whole cast was brilliant.

FEUD has to win best limited series. It's great, critically acclaimed, great acting and it's about the industry/Hollywood. But I have this uneasy feeling that the mediocre and forgettable mess that is The Night Of is gonna collect some awards.

What's to say? It was great and should win a bunch of awards.

The lack of nominations for The Leftovers is borderline criminal.

This is one of the things that I loved about the noms, even the HBO cachet couldn't get The Leftovers any recognition. Hilarious.

My other favorite thing is The Americans not getting a Best Drama nod given that the eligible season was terrible.

Absolute bullshit that Carrie Coon is nominated for Fargo and not The Leftovers. This shit is just a popularity contest.
It's far from a popularity contest. Most Drama Category winners are from some of the lowest rated shows on tv. It's HBO's fault for not pushing Leftovers for awards. So I guess you could say it's a popularity contest within HBO choosing all their focus on Westworld.

jett

D-Member
It's far from a popularity contest. Most Drama Category winners are from some of the lowest rated shows on tv. It's HBO's fault for not pushing Leftovers for awards. So I guess you could say it's a popularity contest within HBO choosing all their focus on Westworld.

HBO chose correctly.

My wife is part of the Academy. She gets lots of FYI dvd's from shows that Networks want nominations for. I don't think HBO sent much if anything Leftovers FYI's. On the contrary, Netflix has flooded her with their content. There has to be five different boxsets of Stranger Things.

Chumley

Banned
This is one of the things that I loved about the noms, even the HBO cachet couldn't get The Leftovers any recognition. Hilarious.

What is with posts like this that seem to revel and find enjoyment in the displeasure of others over this show in particular.

Did you watch all 3 seasons? Do you have any room to talk at all?

ezekial45

Banned
Mr Robot's Season 2 deserves nothing but disdain.
I loved S2 of the show, but I can totally understand how people would be put off by it. I think it went way too far with the more 'out there' aspects of the show in certain episodes, and it sounds like they're going back to S1 approach for S3.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
OléGunner;243410775 said:
Nice to see Liev Schreiber nominated for best actor.
He is criminally underrated as Ray Donovan.

Ray Donovan is awful and Liev Schreiber's constantly constipated face doesn't deserve to be nominated for anything.

FEUD has to win best limited series. It's great, critically acclaimed, great acting and it's about the industry/Hollywood. But I have this uneasy feeling that the mediocre and forgettable mess that is The Night Of is gonna collect some awards.

Big Little Lies is going to sweep.

Top Bottom