• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

69th Primetime Emmys | Hosted by Stephen Colbert | Sept. 17 8e/5p

wandering

Banned
I've heard nothing but good things about GoT this season other than like 1 episode. Did people here not like it?

7D34Ooe.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Shit you are right, but I still think Amazon wants way more, they want to be on HBO's level.

They need to step it up cause shit like Man in the High Castle isn't going to do it. That show plays it way too fucking safe. You don't have network restrictions, be bold like Transparent or Handmaid's Tale.

I've heard nothing but good things about GoT this season other than like 1 episode. Did people here not like it?

Technically the show is on another level and should sweep all of those awards. The plot has gone off the rails though into pure fanservice. I still think it was better than the putrid season 5 though. I almost quit the show after that.

I've never read any GoT book besides the first and I still was really disappointed.

I can say the same for a lot of my own fellow non-book readers who I talked to.

TB14

It was okay. Still better than a lot of stuff on TV. The pacing just felt way too rushed. Basically, the equivalent of playing TW3 while skipping half the dialogue and fast travelling everywhere.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Technically the show is on another level and should sweep all of those awards. The plot has gone off the rails though into pure fanservice. I still think it was better than the putrid season 5 though. I almost quit the show after that.

This. It's not bad in the same way Dexter was. It just isn't the same type of show anymore. Season 6 had shades of this too. I keep saying it became more "TV." Good guys win, bad guys lose. Its very watchable and entertaining, but you can see everything coming a mile away.

Not

Banned
It was okay. Still better than a lot of stuff on TV. The pacing just felt way too rushed. Basically, the equivalent of playing TW3 while skipping half the dialogue and fast travelling everywhere.

Yeah, it definitely feels like they want the show to be over with.

A lot of critics were rightfully down on it as well.

That's what I meant with my post, to clarify.

As a show it's largely immune to criticism so the vast majority of viewers will just praise the hell out of whatever they see as long as there is some cool shit with dragons and characters they love talking to each other.

I'm really curious to see what would happen if the show has a bad ending though (although I REALLY hope it won't).

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Lol @ the delusion that there is such a thing as "objective" quality in art.
There is...there’s a reason we give out awards based on it. I mean you can objectively compare the writing from one season to another. Same with acting, plot, music, special effects ect.

jfkgoblue

Also apparently some of its issues were because it was originally going to be the final season with 10 episodes and they had to scramble to put it together a way to do a seven episode penultimate season.

There is...there’s a reason we give out awards based on it. I mean you can objectively compare the writing from one season to another. Same with acting, plot, music, special effects ect.

You can objectively measure how much they conform to the tastes of the day... nothing more.

ZeoVGM

Banned
That's so strange. Every time people talk to me about Game of Thrones in real life, it's nothing but glowing praise and begging me to watch it. And it's completely different here. Haha.

Although, I do hear the "fast travel" complaint a lot. That happened with Lost too but I think it's probably unavoidable with these "giant world/giant cast" shows as they're winding down.

That's so strange. Every time people talk to me about Game of Thrones in real life, it's nothing but glowing praise and begging me to watch it. And it's completely different here. Haha.

Although, I do hear the "fast travel" complaint a lot. That happened with Lost too but I think it's probably unavoidable with these "giant world/giant cast" shows as they're winding down.

It's overall a great show. You should definitely still watch it.

You're not wrong about the second part but it's an extremely noticable change from past seasons of the show, and while not necessarily a problem in itself, leads to a lot of them.

its just one of those shows. like The Walking Dead. but that show is actually shit but fans looooove it. at least GoT is actually pretty good a lot of the time

--------------------------------

Also just realized they left off Charlie Murphy in the In Memoriam but didn't forget fucking Roger Ailes. WHAT THE FUCK, EMMY'S!!!???

ZeoVGM

Banned
It was always funny on Lost. A character would go off on a journey across the island and be gone for 4-5 episodes. By the end, they were basically teleporting all over the place.

ZeoVGM

Banned
its just one of those shows. like The Walking Dead. but that show is actually shit but fans looooove it. at least GoT is actually pretty good a lot of the time

To be fair, I think a lot of people are aware of how poor The Walking Dead was the past two seasons, especially this past one.

2017-09-17_2333.png

Not that those aren't still fantastic ratings but that's a pretty noticeable and quick drop.

WaffleTaco

You can objectively measure how much they conform to the tastes of the day... nothing more.
Which is what the art awards are about.

I like it, but will criticize it if it deserves it. Still nothing like it on TV, plus it might get you into the books.
Game of Thrones was great this season. I don't understand why some nerds always have to attack a successfull show like this.
It’s not, “nerds,” . . . “attacking.” It’s fans analyzing, dissecting, and criticizing aspects of the show that need to be called out. Is there something wrong with asking why said show can’t be better?

TB14

Neither did The Americans, Leftovers, 13 Reasons Why, Orange is the New Black (Season 4). They chose fan favorites Stranger Things, This Is US.

Thanks for reminding me I still need to watch the last episode of The Americans S05. Started to lose interest about halfway through and never really got back into it. Just didn't grab me like the previous seasons. Kinda the opposite of Game of Thrones' problem. Definitely didn't feel like the penultimate season. Finally started watching The Leftovers recently and am really enjoying it. 13 Reasons Why was good too. Too much!

jfkgoblue

To be fair, I think a lot of people are aware of how poor The Walking Dead was the past two seasons, especially this past one.

2017-09-17_2333.png

Not that those aren't still fantastic ratings but that's a pretty noticeable and quick drop.
TWD is a show designed to meander on forever, if they can average over 10m viewers on a cable show, it's never going away. It's actually amazing how much staying power it has had, few shows maintain that many viewers for 7 seasons.

Well, given what was nominated I'm surprisingly okay with how many of the awards went.

Best joke of the night was the much deserved Bill Maher slam. Fuck him so much.

Sterling K Brown giving a great speech

True. Him shouting out one of the best characters of all time (Frank Pembleton) was an amazing moment.

Well it is a show that puts you to sleep to be fair.

Seeing Westworld get shut out tonight gave me life. Such a bad show.

They need to step it up cause shit like Man in the High Castle isn't going to do it. That show plays it way too fucking safe. You don't have network restrictions, be bold like Transparent or Handmaid's Tale.

What does Transparent do on Amazon that HBO wouldn't do? I ask because both HBO and Amazon aren't bound by network standards and practices. HBO isn't timid when it comes to subject matter, so what has Amazon done that has made it a haven for the makers of Transparent? Is it because HBO seems more prone to cancelling shows that don't turn in numbers?

WaffleTaco

Thanks for reminding me I still need to watch the last episode of The Americans S05. Started to lose interest about halfway through and never really got back into it. Just didn't grab me like the previous seasons. Kinda the opposite of Game of Thrones' problem. Definitely didn't feel like the penultimate season. Finally started watching The Leftovers recently and am really enjoying it. 13 Reasons Why was good too. Too much!
This season of The Americans was really slow. I believe the writers and showrunners are trying to deconstruct the genre even further by not having an explosive series finale. The acting is just phenomenal though.
Just read there's no GoT. Welp.
Missed the cut off point.
TWD is a show designed to meander on forever, if they can average over 10m viewers on a cable show, it's never going away. It's actually amazing how much staying power it has had, few shows maintain that many viewers for 7 seasons.
It’s my guilty pleasure. It has a variety of character to root for and be attached too, but it only focuses on them when they are going to die that season (unless it’s Rick).

You should definitely read the books.

WaffleTaco

Never said it wasn't.

That doesn't in any way mean that there is such a think as objective quality in art though.
I just don’t think I can agree with that. Would probably be a better discussion to have in real life than a forum though lol

Arkeband

Banned
No I'm just curious why someone's irrational belief and trust in a certain imaginary being is somehow better than other's.

And as scientology has a religion status in places it's just weird.

You're right, modern day cults don't enjoy the benefit of the doubt like older religions do. But Scientology is a murderous and abusive cult that only persists because of the massive amounts of wealth celebrities pour into it.

No I'm just curious why someone's irrational belief and trust in a certain imaginary being is somehow better than other's.

And as scientology has a religion status in places it's just weird.

Other religions have done terrible stuff in the past, Scientology is doing terrible stuff in the present.

Anyways this year was bullshit, everything was either sucking up to the president's daughter or the worst season of Veep. Atlanta winning was cool I guess. That's my opinion, thanks for reading it.

Top Bottom