• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Primetime Emmys Nominations

Solo

The Leftovers got fucking robbed. Like, how does Carrie Coon get a nomination for fucking Fargo but not The Leftovers? It makes no sense. Coon and Theroux both deserved nominations. I'm pissed, this is bullshit.

SamVimes

I think the worse Veep gets the more noms it receives, seasons 2 to 4 were the best TV. I hope Atlanta and The Americans get everything they were nominated for.

Westworld was also not very good.

JABEE

Jude Law in the Young Pope deserved to be nominated.

Also, the direction, cinematography, and production on that show far exceed were some of the best I have ever seen from a TV show.

santi_yo

I'm so mad about how Better Call Saul's Michael McKean and Rhea Seehorn got robbed that I actually forgot about Legion. Jesus.

tomtom94

What happened with 13 reasons why after all the hype? It was no elegible?

I have two theories:

1) It appealed to the public but not the Emmy voters who skew older.

2) A lot of Emmy voters were put off by the mental health controversy.

I pick the former.

Here's my winners list:

Best Drama:
Westworld. I liked better call Saul but Westworld moves the medium further.
Best Actor:
Anthony Hopkins. Just cause.
Best Actress:
Evan Rachel Wood. Westworld fresh face who was phenomenal acting alongside legends.
Best Comedy:
Master of None.
Best supporting actor:
Jeffrey Wright. Westworld.
Best supporting actress: Millie Brown. Stranger things.

Turin

Banned
FUCK THE EMMYS but I hope Better Call Saul gets the W.

They'll probably give it to Westworld.

fargo-carrie-coon-knocking.gif

fargo-carrie-coon-station-door.gif

lol. Yeah.....

Goodstyle

I love Leslie, but she didn't deserve that nomination.

Also, Baldwin's Trump is a pure gimmick. It's a very standard impression, he didn't deserve to be on that list over William Jackson Harper (The Good Place).

The Good Place in general got robbed. How the hell does Ted Danson get no recognition?

Ristifer

I know it was a slower season, but The Americans still deserves its spot. Especially since it's been ignored numerous times in the past and will get floored by GoT next year. Lame as fuck.

Nameless

Handmaid's Tale deserves all the words, especially best drama and best actress. Top show of the year EASILY and one of my favorite new shows in years. Stunning achievement in TV.

Is orphan black not eligible? Tatiana Maslany should be getting nominated every single year
Yeah, started too late. Won't be eligible until next year.

Speaking of which, remember when Rami Malek and Tatiana Maslany won back to back last year and it was amazing? Anyone remember Rami Malek? Winner of best actor last year? 2nd Season definitely didn't deserve a drama nomination, but he never stopped being good at acting. That seems like a snub no one is talking about.

Ledbetter

Let's see:

No Michael McKean / Rhea Seehorn.
No Legion and Aubrey Plaza.
No The Leftovers, Carrie Coon (at least she is in for Fargo) and Justin Theroux.

At least Atlanta and Master of None are there. If somehow both of those shows manage to win something and BCS wins, I won't get mad.

Thank you, Alan Sepinwall:

I try not to get too worked up about the Emmys. Some of the greatest shows and performances in TV history never won Emmys. Jackie Gleason never did for Ralph Kramden, or Jason Alexander for George Costanza, Martin Sheen for President Bartlet, Amy Poehler for Leslie Knope, or The Wire for anything. But the Emmys are also the closest thing TV has to a historical record, and if some TV fan decades from now (assuming TV still exists in a recognizable form by then) looks back to the nominees and winners of any particular year or decade, it would be nice for them to see what was truly great about TV at that time, rather than what was picked because voters weren’t paying attention, or were voting in a bloc, or were occasionally distracted by shiny new things.

And other than Dowd, nobody involved in this will be part of that historical record:

crying.gif

Hari Seldon

I would definitely dump Westworld out of that list. It had a good finale but the rest of the season was a serious drag. I vastly preferred American Gods, but I don't know if that was eligible.

5taquitos

So lame that Leftovers is getting snubbed. Carrie and Jason both deserve all the accolades they can get for their performances.

And Veep better not fucking win this year, they don't need an Emmy validating their shitty writing this last season.

Glad to see San Junipero get nominated. That was my favorite.

Me, too. I don't know how it got into the TV movie category, but I'm happy with any exposure Black Mirror gets (and it was a fantastic episode). It's easily one of the best modern TV shows out there.

Come on, already.

He was robbed for the episode back where he talked about what went down with his sun. Scene almost brought a grown man to tears.

Goodstyle

Just noticed Barb got a nom. Literally meme'd into academy recognition lol.

Also, seeing all these people freaking out about these Leftover snubs is making me think I should try watching it. To me though, it seems like this weird show that I literally still can't figure out what it's about.

cecily strong's contributions to SNL continue to go criminally unacknowledged.

Yup. She's the third best performer on there behind McKinnon and Bayer.

Top Bottom