• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Veep - Season 4 - Presented by Vitamin J - HBO Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Terrified of Armando leaving. This show is absolutely flawless and losing a key component like him is really scary. :( I still actually enjoy Modern Family quite a bit, but Veep really deserves to win for best comedy.. hopefully some day. Karen was probably my favorite character to hate in ages -- so glad they brought her back for the finale. Pitch perfect delivery every time.

Hamlet

Great season finale. Pretty clever way to end it with a tie haha. Never even thought of that as an option.
Loved snarky Bill "We're in a kind of purgatory. Welcome to my world"

sangreal

Sending her back to veep was incredibly predictable (which is why we all predicted it in this thread) but the finale was otherwise pretty good

- Den of Geek: Veep Season 4: Calculating Jokes Per Minute
Veep crams more jokes into a half hour than any other show currently on television and perhaps more than most actual Presidential administrations likely can cover in two terms. With that in mind, we decided to see if we could calculate just what Veep’s Joke Per Minute total (or JPM) is.

This carefully calibrated equation is calculated by literally counting off the number of jokes in each episode via tally mark. Then I divided that by total number of minutes in an episode. TV sabermetrics are pretty easy.

As for what constitutes a joke? Well that’s where the killing comedy part comes in because we need to analyze them far beyond they were likely meant to be analyzed. Thankfully, the vast majority of Veep’s humor is dialogue-based. Most people would acknowledge that the vice president of the United States calling the freakishly tall and equally as loathsome Jonah “jolly green jizzface” is a joke (and a damn fine one at that). For the most part, spoken lines are easy to keep track of as jokes. And since a lot of the dialogue is insult-based, the characters are aware they’re being funny. We will also count lines of dialogue in which a character is unaware they are being funny but the former is much easier to track.

We also have to count visual humor (for example: Jonah flattening a woman while running to a meeting he wasn’t invited to) and conceptual humor (the sheer absurdity of Gary passing notes about a painting during a meeting for peace in the Middle East). And then there are the jokes that seem uncategorizable but are too funny to be ignored. The vast majority of these usually involve Gary’s facial expressions or uncomfortable laughs. It’s not always a simple process but we think we were fair in calculating the correct number of jokes for each other. Below are the final statistics, along with some commentary for each episode.

mclem

Sending her back to veep was incredibly predictable (which is why we all predicted it in this thread) but the finale was otherwise pretty good

Well, they haven't explicitly done that; I think Armando's basically left it open for the following showrunner to take it in whichever way they wish. She could still win outright!

Socreges

Banned
Wow. Season 4 was outstanding. Some of the characters (Katherine and Kent, mainly) were heavily caricaturized at times, but that'd be my only complaint.

Veep had better win Best Comedy. And Julia Louise-Dreyfus had better get another - she was perfect. Again.

Knoxcore

If they are sticking with the Constitution, then the only way for her to be Veep again officially if for O'Brien to appoint her. Tom will only be Acting President if there is a tie in the House until the House breaks the tie one way or another. Honestly, I don't know what happens if they can't break a tie. I guess that's their fudge.

JDSN

Banned
I think she is gonna be president by the time the first episode arrive, the sting of the way she made it back to the WH will be enough to get the same conflicts (ppl dismissing and ignoring her).

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
If they are sticking with the Constitution, then the only way for her to be Veep again officially if for O'Brien to appoint her. Tom will only be Acting President if there is a tie in the House until the House breaks the tie one way or another. Honestly, I don't know what happens if they can't break a tie. I guess that's their fudge.

Didn't they say the public then votes for which Vice President candidate will become president?

sangreal

the VP-elect (chosen by the Senate) would become President (20th amendment section 3)

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Terrified of Armando leaving. This show is absolutely flawless and losing a key component like him is really scary. :( I still actually enjoy Modern Family quite a bit, but Veep really deserves to win for best comedy.. hopefully some day. Karen was probably my favorite character to hate in ages -- so glad they brought her back for the finale. Pitch perfect delivery every time.

Armando is leaving? Shit. Wrap it up, he was the show.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I am so happy to be getting this show back, really is nothing like it for me

Poster:
e14BMxX.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom