• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Veep - Season 5 |OT| - Julia Louis-Dreyfus - Continuity With Change - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just can't imagine Selina doing something so humiliating as accepting the position of Veep after coming off an 8 month presidency. It fits the shows premise, but I guess that would be too sad. Especially since this episode suggested to me that politics really don't make Selina as happy as she thinks they do.
Even Malcolm Tucker had to eat shit despite being the main character of his show, so I expect Selina to do the same. But who knows at this point.

"Eating so much pussy I'm shitting clits" may be the best Jonah line of the series

Yeah, that was great.

Other than that I really didn't care for the episode. An interesting attempt at a change in format but it really didn't work for me.

It's still really good overall but this is definitely the weakest season of the show.

TTG

A few minutes into the episode I was bummed that it was doing the documentary format, but it ended up being a really good episode.

It was so good! There were a bunch of call backs from this whole season. Catherine's weird interpretive dance performance. Even the small stuff, a shot of the fax machine that we saw her filming in spite of Jonah making a speech and the final screen in the episode(Marjorie productions with a lama?), great touches.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
That was....kinda sad.
Am I the only one who thinks that Selina's daughter is being a huge douche-bag in filming these moments which she is really not supposed to. And even bigger one if she releases it in public?

- Sepinwall Interview: How did 'Veep' pull off last night's documentary episode?
Last night's Veep was a format-breaking episode presented as the long-gestating documentary Selina's daughter Catherine had been filming all season. It not only detailed the results of the electoral tie-breaker vote in the House of Representatives, but cast new light on a lot of events we had witnessed earlier in the season.

I spoke with Veep showrunner David Mandel about how and why they pulled off the documentary episode, coming up just as soon as I make a call from an elementary school classroom...

What is the deal with Dan blowing Amy off like that, so he can take a call from her sister. What a dick! Amy is way more of a catch (unless of course he enjoyed sis in the sack more than he did Amy)

Also, Ben's family life lol. "weren't you on vacation with the kids?" "that was last month"

I love that they did in fact hold a secret meeting about Mike when he was paranoid that they were doing just that.

That's what was so clever about the format, we saw things that already happened but from new angles that made them way funnier.

emag

Fantastic episode. Loved the change in format and all the exposition on previous events, even if the conceit of the framing story is unrealistic (there's no way Catherine would be oblivious/malicious enough to even create that cut). The interview segments really helped flesh out the characters, as well.

Yen

I'm only catching up with the episode with the Chinese. Catherine (and now Marjery) is always the best part of the show.

mclem

So, I noticed this...

TMuWy0v.png

...and I thought 'Wait, where was Danny Chung?". I went through, didn't spot him in any of the conspicuous flashbacks, and was thoroughly confused. Then I had some inspiration and... I think I might have it:

Am I insane, or is that indeed Danny?

I'm not sure where they'd go with it, but I wonder if O'Briens VP pick (the hispanic gal) ends up getting the votes and becomes president.

Grinchy

Banned
I hate what they're doing to Amy's character this season.

She no longer has any notable character traits other than "has a crush on Dan". And it's completely out of character for her to be so overt and needy about it.

Well at least they are still letting her do the one facial expression that her skin is capable of forming.

Apt101

She no longer has any notable character traits other than "has a crush on Dan". And it's completely out of character for her to be so overt and needy about it.

She's not pining over him. She's still despicable like all of Selina's entourage and only wants to conquer him again because he had her sister.

Plus her pajamas, lol.

So, maybe I misunderstand, but I don't think the show has the rules right. I always thought the House got to keep voting until they picked someone, and the Senate's VP pick was only an Acting President. Or maybe I'm the Mike in this situation and I just haven't been paying attention.

The other guy who was meeting with Tom James and Sidney Purcell a few episodes ago was mentioned. Apparently he is in a position to stop the House from voting again, thereby keeping James in power.

As for the 12 years; James wouldn't technically have ascended to the Presidency, right? He would just be the "temporary" replacement until the House got it sorted. Might that be different than a VP who takes over after a death or resignation?

Weckum

The after credits scene was hilarious with Ben messing up Kent's books.

Also, Jonah in the school was amazing.

And Mike looking for a meeting about him (like in the other episode), it not being there but then there being one anyway. Brilliant.

I'm not sure where they'd go with it, but I wonder if O'Briens VP pick (the hispanic gal) ends up getting the votes and becomes president.

I think a season where Selena loses and ends up doing speaking and tv hosting gigs Sarah Pain style would be hilarious. Watch her get roped in to all the celebrity politic stuff.

It's basically the Jonah/Selina show now. Most of the other characters have been treated pretty shabbily by the writers this year.

The other guy who was meeting with Tom James and Sidney Purcell a few episodes ago was mentioned. Apparently he is in a position to stop the House from voting again, thereby keeping James in power.

As for the 12 years; James wouldn't technically have ascended to the Presidency, right? He would just be the "temporary" replacement until the House got it sorted. Might that be different than a VP who takes over after a death or resignation?

Yeah, I get that Purcell is pulling strings. Just seems hard to buy that the House would stop voting. But these House procedures can be Byzantine. Perhaps it's possible. Same with the 12 years thing. Maybe there's some obscure trick I don't understand, but as far as I know, Tom James's first term would count as a term, even if he's just acting President until the House makes a decision (that it never makes).

Honestly, the only way I can see it working is if Selena drops out in order to take the VP spot, because it's her only option. But you'd still have to find a way to get the other guy to drop.

Even then, I'm still not convinced, though. But whatever. It's a comedy show.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
The after credits scene was hilarious with Ben messing up Kent's books.
Oh I wondered what the fuck he was doing

I liked the format, it was pretty good as a one off
I wonder if that's it for the doc now or if it will have other consequences

Selinas mum just saying she looks like a boy when being shown the Oval Office made me laugh

Meier

Revolver

So, I noticed this...

...and I thought 'Wait, where was Danny Chung?". I went through, didn't spot him in any of the conspicuous flashbacks, and was thoroughly confused. Then I had some inspiration and... I think I might have it:

Am I insane, or is that indeed Danny?

Yeah I thought "hey that looks like Randall Park" during that scene. Really subtle cameo.

Great fucking episode. This season has been killing it in my opinion. I just wonder where they go from here.

What is the deal with Dan blowing Amy off like that, so he can take a call from her sister. What a dick! Amy is way more of a catch (unless of course he enjoyed sis in the sack more than he did Amy)

You just know that Dan is the kind of sleazy guy who would do some PUA thing where he's pretending to be into Amy's sister just to mess with Amy to make her want him

Just watched it. It's easy to overreact on these things, but I don't know the last time I laughed that hard, that often at a tv show. Jonah was the highlight, but even the bad stuff was good, like Mike in his evolving bedroom/den as he loses his job.

And I agree that Richard is great in every scene he's in. I love the way the actor plays him.

Grinchy

Banned
I feel like Richard and Jonah could have their own spinoff show, but then again maybe the small doses are what make them so great.

Tony Hale on Fresh Air today:

- 'There's A Reason Why I Play Anxious Characters,' Says 'Veep' Actor Tony Hale
Actor Tony Hale is really comfortable playing doormat characters. The two roles he's gotten the most attention for — Gary Walsh on HBO's Veep and Buster Bluth on Fox's Arrested Development — both fall squarely into that category.

"I guess I just do emasculated and meek very well," Hale tells Fresh Air's Terry Gross.

Gary, Hale's character on Veep, is the personal assistant to Selina Meyer, who is trying to win an election recount for the presidency this season. As Selina's "body man," Gary accompanies his boss everywhere, holding her over-sized handbag and whispering in her ear as needed.

"[My character] has no identity outside of Selina Meyer," Hale says. "She is so verbally abusive to him, but he doesn't hear it, he just bounces back ... and he is perfectly content where he is."

Both Gary on Veep and Buster, the youngest brother on Arrested Development, are prone to anxiety — a feeling Hale can relate to. The actor suffered from panic attacks when he was younger, but has since found some degree of peace in faith and prayerful meditation.

"There's a reason why I do anxious characters — it comes from a lot of personal anxiety," Hale says. "The great thing is, having that history, it's really fun to bring that into the characters ... and play with it."
Full audio interview and a few quotes via the link.

Looking forward to this and Silicon Valley finales. Bummed that I have no TV shows to be excited about after tonight.

What is gonna happen? Back to VP? A cabinet position? Tom James gets assassinated? Oh, the suspense!

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Felt like a throwaway gag to me.

I'm guessing next season is going to be life as an ex-president.

Yeah, felt like it was just a callback.

I guess they could follow her still, but it seemed like they were clearing house for a new Veep to follow.

Emarv

My dumb Season 6 idea:

Skip ahead a few years, Jonah is now a first term Senator running for president in a primary against Selina, bringing with him some Sanders-like anti-establishment rhetoric. Selina has to take him as her VP to win the election. Boom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom