• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO's Veep - Season one - created by Armando Iannuci, starring Julia Louis Dreyfus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nizz

Gary breaking up with Ted for Selena was
23fbb3aa55a96bb7898da5baf7937e5d4f9d5674.gif

Love the dude!

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Tonights episode was on fire. Holy shit I was dying from beginning to end
KuGsj.gif

Sotha Sil

Damn great show. One of those rare cases where the trailer kind of crushed my expectations, but the actual show instantly felt right. Quality stuff.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just caught up with this, got interested after seeing this thread and knowing it stars JLD. Show was entertaining enough to keep me watching in the first three episodes (plus Dreyfus, who has been excellent in every scene), but it definitely found its groove with episode 4 and then hit it out of the park on episode 5, 6 and 7. It's strong with many great lines, and I laughed out loud at a number of parts. After reading the posts here I'm definitely checking The Thick of It sometime in they future too.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
This one still kills me because it can be said about a lot of the major cities in america

upstate-new-york.jpg

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Who is the guy that played the Congressman's aide? Looks familiar. Wasn't he in Scott Pilgrim?

Apologies if it has been mentioned already, I'm watching the ep on delay right now and I didn't want to see any spoilers so I didn't scroll through the thread.

Who is the guy that played the Congressman's aide? Looks familiar. Wasn't he in Scott Pilgrim?

Apologies if it has been mentioned already, I'm watching the ep on delay right now and I didn't want to see any spoilers so I didn't scroll through the thread.

Comeau! He knows everyone.

It's always darkest before the storm. Mike is best character.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I was kinda lost this episode. I was either not listening or something important happened that seemed unimportant happened.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Started on this show last week and just finished watching the entire season this weekend.. Such a fantastic and funny show, lots of nuances that both me and the wife pick up on. It's clever, and I loves me some buster.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought it was a good finale, but the humor just hasn't really been there for me the last two episodes. Still, I liked the episode and I really enjoyed the season overall.

Maddocks

"if you need a shoulder to cry in or a booty to call on"

such a good episode, how they kept saying endorse then don't then endorse and the raw hate.

- GQ.com: F That POTUS - Dissecting VEEP Season One, with Creator Armando Iannucci
In season one of HBO's VEEP, Selina Meyers (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) is confronted with a bevy of problems that threaten her credibility as a legit Vice President. A pregnancy scare. A disastrous visit to a frozen yogurt shop. Unkind nicknames from the blogosphere. Social media blunders. And, of course, learning to deal with the president's utter lack of respect for both her and her pet policies, causing Meyer to blurt out at one point, "Fuck that POTUS." (Running joke: At least once per episode, Meyer asks a member of her staff if the president –who we never see—has called her. The answer, invariably, is no.)

VEEP was created by Armando Iannucci, the writer behind the award-winning British TV comedy The Thick of It, a satire of the inner workings of the British government, which led to the terrific feature film spin-off In the Loop. VEEP is Iannucci's first U.S. series, and HBO quickly picked it up for a second season, at a slightly longer 10 episodes. The show is on the more challenging end of the sitcom spectrum, in a very rewarding way: Watching it requires some knowledge of the political process, but also a willingness to pay close attention; the dialogue is fast-paced and the jokes are layered and subtle—just like the process in Washington, where every little comment and perception has political ramifications.

The show features a brilliant ensemble cast, led by Louis-Dreyfus, who proves, yet again, that she is among the deftest comedian working today. The comedy comes from the interactions with her staff, who are equally shrewd and petty, often juggling their own selfish aspirations with what's best for the office.

GQ asked Iannucci to dissect season one, episode by episode.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Man this show got over too fast... now we have to wait so long. :(

Great first season of this show. Great role for Julia and the whole cast was great, and fit well together.

Looking forward to future seasons of this show.

Rookje

Some of my favorite lines.

Dan: My guitar is for seduction, not crowd control. Although on a good night, that's the same thing.

--

There will be more Selinas. There are no more Adolfs. You are looking at the last Selina, at the woman who killed America.

--

Amy: I need you to get a pregnancy test for the Veep.
Gary: Oh my God! This is kind of exciting. I can carry the baby around in a little sling.

--

Amy: People won't equate you with a natural disaster ma'am.
Selina: Really Amy? Cause I've met people, okay. Real people. And I gotta tell you a lot of them are fucking idiots.

Shaneus

Oh man, so glad to see so many love this show. I did from the start, but definitely got a bit of static when mentioning it to friends. I assume the most recent is the last ep of the season then? And there WILL be another season?

BTW Farva in the second-to-last ep was good too. But so many better characters as well. And no real token guest appearances (from memory).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom