• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO's Veep - Season 3 - Running for president and busting her lady balls - Daniwah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzo

Giving Jonah a win really is a new low for someone to sink to.

I kept thinking she was gonna get busted during the hospital scene (with Jonah calling her number right next to her), but that didn't happen. Dan is bound to found out the truth one way or another, and things are gonna get really ugly (and funny, of course).

Dice//

Banned
I thought SSN2 was trying to ship Dan and Amy a little bit...Season 3 seems to have them neck and neck and I love it.
I definitely saw him being unable to handle it though.

The Kent and Sue bits are a lot of fun, I also love everyone's reaction of their flirting just as much

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Good point, but that's not really in her character. Not that she's completely devoid of positive qualities, she just doesn't embody any of those classic traits of a great politician. Whatever stuff they had her doing that qualified for "real" work(lock down negotiations?) is gone. She's got the superficial charm down anyway.

I don't think the point is she's not a good politician - I think the point is she's an average politician with ambitions and goals she'll never reach, ideals she'll have to compromise every day and a workday spent doing everything but thinking up good policies - again, the average politician's life.

This season shes botched abortion, guns, her UK visit, her book, and her free childcare initiative. I can't even remember all the stuff she screwed up last year or the year before.

I know this is a TV show but its become far too unbelievable for me. In reality, her screw ups would have her so low in the polls now that she'd have no choice but to abandon her campaign.

mclem

This season shes botched abortion, guns, her UK visit, her book, and her free childcare initiative. I can't even remember all the stuff she screwed up last year or the year before.

I know this is a TV show but its become far too unbelievable for me. In reality, her screw ups would have her so low in the polls now that she'd have no choice but to abandon her campaign.

*WE* see it that way because we're seeing behind the scenes. What does the American public actually see? Her book was fine, and the signing was well-attended. She made a statement about abortion, much like her rivals. She's owned the joke made against her on SNL. She made a poor statement about guns, but she's visited a gun rally and her daughter's unexpectedly a hero to the pro-gun female lobby. Daniwah would be shredded mercilessly here in the UK but it'd be little more than a footnote in the US. Free childcare got *slightly* sidelined but she made a point by having the child on stage, winning one over on the seniors who wanted to dominate discussion. Much of the UK visit was diplomatic stuff that wouldn't have an impact on the US stage, other than the embarrassment about her personal trainer.

The worst thing I'm seeing that would have an impact on the campaign is the image of her looking subservient to Maddox.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Latest episode was brutal. :lol This season is too good, I'm happy they managed to keep the momentum going from season 2.

Empty

*WE* see it that way because we're seeing behind the scenes. What does the American public actually see? .

these are all good points, i'd also add an example of how mitt romney had a gaffe filled election campaign. he also went to london and made people here hate/laugh at him (which was a drop in the ocean in the grand picture), he called 47% americans a waste of space, made a casual 10 thousand dollar bet, he flip flopped on healthcare massively, got contradicted by the debate moderator on libya. i'm sure there's way more i'm forgetting because lots of these stuff are irrelevant afterwards and minor footnotes. yet he still got 47% of the vote and people around him believed he could win.

to me a more pertinent question is less about believability but more whether the show is doing anything meaningful dramatically with this constant stream of misery, humiliation and totally debasing themselves for career gain. i'd like to see a little more on that front, but hopefully it's coming.

BigAT

to me a more pertinent question is less about believability but more whether the show is doing anything meaningful dramatically with this constant stream of misery, humiliation and totally debasing themselves for career gain.

I think the fact that it very often doesn't is part of the reason why I like the show so much. There are very few shows on the air that are as just plain mean as Veep can be.

Grizzo

Need a gif of Jonah's accepting nod to Kent calling him an imbecile. So funny.

veep53dqgz.gif

Empty

I think the fact that it very often doesn't is part of the reason why I like the show so much. There are very few shows on the air that are as just plain mean as Veep can be.

hmm. i think it's a mean show because there's basically no pathos but to me i think that makes it less mean. everyone is so awful and so relentlessly nasty to eachother it feels like little actually matters, it's just a goofy world where a stream of terrible things happen that you laugh at (a lot). it's like it's always sunny in philadephia to me.

i think ianucci's the thick of it is much meaner overall because it's a sadder show dramatically, as well as capturing a lot of nastiness. it's not overwrought, it's subtle, but to me there's a real bite to it because you feel bad for some the characters, even if they're causing problems for themselves.

as examples

hugh abbot reflecting on his life - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4AoSBqY_GI
ben swain falling apart on newsnight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huqUZdG-_SM
malcom tucker ranting at nicola murray - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYOlBsls-C0

i don't actually care what happens to selina as she deserves it completely. as do dan, jonah, mike, amy etc. i'd like to feel otherwise.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah, Veep is like a cartoon in that sense, with the nastiness not having tangible or longterm emotional consequences (even Catherine blowing up at her mom so she could get back to her senses was more of a "thing of the moment"). I don't mind it but I certainly wouldn't oppose the show dipping its feet into that sort of thing in the future.

Tex117

Banned
I think season 2 was better. I find the "idiot" comedy more potent when the underlying structure of the Vice Presidency is a little "a lot to do about nothing."

Peru

I don't think it's more cartoonish. TTOI had its sentimental touches which Veep so far doesn't - though it does repeat the sad truth the former told - that people who have good intentions will inevitably become just another player in the dipshit eat dipshit world of politics. What we haven't seen so far is the kind of desperate emotional outburst of Glenn --- although a few episodes back Selina was close: "I’m supposed to let a bunch of dead-eyed white guys shit all over absolutely everything that I stand for?" before later accepting that, this time, she would have to let the dead-eyed white guys shit all over her.

As has been pointed out above, this isn't idiot comedy, these aren't hopelessly poor politicans. They just stumble through the stupid games they have to play. And they survive. It keeps them stagnant, hinders them from doing anything worth anything with the world, but they survive. Like so many others.

Just caught up.

"Okay! Let's check out your chart. Let's see how you're doing, here. Okay. All right. Dan Egan, sixty-seven, female. Unemployed campaign manager. Thirty different types of semen pumped from stomach, inverted nipples, abnormally high douche readings -- that makes sense. Cancer of the soul, traces of dog excrement found around the corners of mouth. Chronic cretinism, leprosy, anal bleeding. Uh -- tiny child balls?"

JDSN

Banned
Episode started a little slow with the whoever the fuck was that boring english dude who tagged along with them, but then that fucking hat happened and it never stopped being awesome. I do believe there is pathos in some characters but it just depends on how long does the show decides to spend time with them, even main characters in the The Thick of it like Ollie and Ben got most of their development late in the final season remaining pretty much the same during most of the run. I do not feel they are mean spirited in any way, except for Dan who likes to think that he is good at being a shark but was blindsided by Amy. Honestly if you wanna see a truly vile comedy go watch Two Broke Girls.

In my mind Ben Swain decided to become a tabloid hack after getting his ass handed to him by Jeremy Paxman.

mclem

i don't actually care what happens to selina as she deserves it completely. as do dan, jonah, mike, amy etc. i'd like to feel otherwise.

I do actually root for Selina, despite the overwhelming reasons not to. Why? Because she's very clearly no worse than the alternatives. She's a monumental asshole, but she's our monumental asshole, and that counts for something.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
*WE* see it that way because we're seeing behind the scenes. What does the American public actually see? Her book was fine, and the signing was well-attended. She made a statement about abortion, much like her rivals. She's owned the joke made against her on SNL. She made a poor statement about guns, but she's visited a gun rally and her daughter's unexpectedly a hero to the pro-gun female lobby. Daniwah would be shredded mercilessly here in the UK but it'd be little more than a footnote in the US. Free childcare got *slightly* sidelined but she made a point by having the child on stage, winning one over on the seniors who wanted to dominate discussion. Much of the UK visit was diplomatic stuff that wouldn't have an impact on the US stage, other than the embarrassment about her personal trainer.

The worst thing I'm seeing that would have an impact on the campaign is the image of her looking subservient to Maddox.

I don't agree. None of Selina's incompetent and bumbling responses to those screw ups would wipe the slate perfectly clean. Those mistakes all add up little by little to making her unelectable.

I mean there is a quote from the Finnish Prime Minister stating that Selina said that the problem with America is the second amendment! A quick trip to a gun show and your daughter punching a protester doesn't make that magically disappear.

Grinchy

Banned
This is definitely my favorite season so far. I don't know why that is. Maybe the characters have just settled in to where they should be, or maybe I just like the angle of running for president. Whatever it is, the show has been fantastic lately.

The only thing I'm not liking about this season is Sue's hair. It looks so awful that it's distracting. It looks like a motorcycle helmet with a tail.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wow, that was great. Better than I thought it'd be.

Love that Catherine is more involved lately.

Tucah

you speak so well
Another excellent episode. Double episodes next week is nice but if I didn't know better I would have thought the show was ending - The Final Episodes make me think of a series finale, not a season.

Jigorath

Banned
Probably the weakest episode of the season so far. Though that's not saying much considering this season has been fantastic so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom