• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO's Veep - Season one - created by Armando Iannuci, starring Julia Louis Dreyfus

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

Official-Poster-Veep-550x814.jpg

Created by Amando Iannuci, (The Thick of It, In the Loop) Veep centers on former Senator Selina Meyer who finds being Vice President of the United States is nothing like she expected and everything everyone ever warned about.

Trailer

(Watch the pilot on youtube)

Premieres Sunday April 22nd.

Cast:

Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Vice President Selina Meyer

Anna Chlumsky (aka MY GIRL) as Amy Brookheimer, Chief of Staff.

Tony Hale as Gary Walsh, Vice President Selina Meyer's bodyguard.

Matt Walsh as Mike McClintock, Director of Communications.

Timothy Simons as Jonah Ryan, White House liaison.

Reid Scott as Dan Egan, Deputy Director of Communications at the White House.

Sufe Bradshaw as Sue Wilson, executive assistant to the Vice President.

Reviews:

The Hollywood Reporter
Vicious political comedy is best post-'Seinfeld' role Julia Louis-Dreyfus, taps Armando Iannucci's genius.

- LA Times: Julia Louis-Dreyfus makes a first-rate, funny 'Veep'

To many millions of "Seinfeld" fans — and to the fewer millions, but millions still, who followed her onto "The New Adventures of Old Christine"— it may be stating the obvious, but it seems worth repeating that Louis-Dreyfus is one of the medium's great comedians. There is a marvelous energy to her work and in her person, which is not exactly slapstick but makes the small package that contains it visibly buck and fizz.

- Red Eye Chicago: Vote yes for 'Veep'

Vice President Selina Meyer is just a heartbeat away from the most powerful position in the world in HBO's cynical, hilarious and profane political satire "Veep"

Interviews:
- Slate.com: A Conversation With Armando Iannucci

- Huffington Post: 'Veep' Star Anna Chlumsky Talks TV Politics, Working With Julia Louis-Dreyfus And Still Being 'My Girl'

- Poniewozik: Veep
But the fact that Veep’s jaundice is plausible doesn’t make it original, which is the mark of HBO’s best series–the ability to take a familiar setting or genre and offer a surprising insight on it. Veep doesn’t do that, though it’s still an acerbically entertaining show that I’ll keep watching for now because of the strong cast, because of its gift for the obscene bon mot, and because I hope it will grow into something more distinctive.

Tucah

you speak so well
I absolutely cannot wait for this. A new Armando Iannucci show? Julia Louis-Dreyfuss? Fuck yeah, bring it on!

Dabanton

The trailer i saw for this was strangely underwhelming. But maybe because they had to hold back a bit.

TTOI is the best political comedies ever so lets hope this has just a bit of that shows awesome ensemble cast charisma.

I see one or two people from 'in the loop' so lets hope so.

Macmanus

It really blows my mind that up to five shows will be airing fresh stuff that I look forward to for the first time since I developed any sort of critical pallet, four of them on Sunday alone.

anaron

It really blows my mind that up to five shows will be airing fresh stuff that I look forward to for the first time since I developed any sort of critical pallet, four of them on Sunday alone.

Going into the summer especially. It's a damn good year for TV.

Peru

Sarah Palin sitcom? not interested

That's not it at ALL. I see some journalists have already made the mistake of thinking that this veep is supposed to be such a figure. As observed in interviews and clips this is not the case at all (if Iannucci denying any inspiration isn't enough, in fact he says he chose a female so she wouldn't remind people of any real-life VPs) - like the main characters of AI's british series she's mainly a sympathetic and somewhat competent figure - just caught in a system where doing your job is impossible and you end up lying and bullshitting to get through the day.

Slightly OT: does HBO ever censor language? I was watching a Floyd Mayweather doc and all the f-words were silenced. It would be explainable if it was filmed that way, but they also showed a commercial for Veep that had bleeps. All of this was before 8 PM. So do they actually censor stuff based on the time aired? Mindblowing if true.

anaron

Slightly OT: does HBO ever censor language? I was watching a Floyd Mayweather doc and all the f-words were silenced. It would be explainable if it was filmed that way, but they also showed a commercial for Veep that had bleeps. All of this was before 8 PM. So do they actually censor stuff based on the time aired? Mindblowing if true.

Weird, I've never experienced anything censored. Kinda goes against the point of HBO. :p

smr00

Banned
Doubt it, they show R rated films during the day that have nudity and cussing.

Sarah Palin sitcom? not interested

The only similarities between Sarah Palin and the main character are occupation and body parts. That's about it.

They censor the early broadcast of sports documentaries, and do uncensored ones later, usually after 9 or 10 PM.

They starting doing this after Hard Knocks got heat for not stating uncensored language when parents were trying to show their kids what its like to be in the NFL.

They also censor commercials.

Trailer looked average, but I still had faith. You can't put Armando Iannuci, Julia Louise-Dreyfus, Tony Hale and half the writers of The Thick of It / Peep Show / The Day Today in a room and not get a fucking fantastic show. Now I heard something about the pilot being 'available' but alas, no luck so far.

Will also be watching for Chlumsky <3 as well.

And that dude who walks into the office saying "...I'm from the White House, what the fuck are you doing?"

gets me every time.

Girls was a letdown for me but this looks good. Though I tend to like political stuff anyway.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by Girls, even after I told friends about it and realized it was sex in the city but not terrible.

Looking forward to this as well though... anything to make the loss of Game of Thrones easier to take for another season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Will also be watching for Chlumsky <3 as well.

Yusss!

[QUOTE='[KoRp]Jazzman;37039335Looking forward to this as well though... anything to make the loss of Game of Thrones easier to take for another season.[/QUOTE]

There are like, 6 episodes left of GoT and VEEP is only 8 episodes long, so I'm afraid it'll only make the wait easier by 2 weeks. :(

Yeah I usually hate about 95% of all comedies so I'll never trust another opinion on it.

With other things I can trust certain people to a degree, but what you find funny is so personal it seems pointless trusting someone else.

- Maureen Ryan's Review: Political Comedy Misses The Mark
Don't take this as an insult -- it isn't meant as one -- but TV viewers aren't that different from political types: We want something in return for our investment of time. Despite its shiny credentials, however, "Veep" (10 p.m. ET Sunday, HBO) doesn't offer much in the way of rewards.
- Chuck Barney @ SJ Mercury News: Julia Louis-Dreyfus worthy of an Emmy in 'Veep'
As it turns out, Veep might be even more hilarious if it didn't hit so uncomfortably close to the truth. 3.5 out of 4 stars.
- Washington Post: ‘Veep’: A playful pander in Washington’s zoo
Thanks to Louis-Dreyfus, and the show's remarkable knack for dialogue and timing, Veep is instantly engaging and outrageously fun.
- MZS @ NY Magazine: A Heartbeat Away
It's all rather weightless: just your usual sitcom-style misunderstandings and bruised egos and "complications ensue," with no sense that anything larger is at stake.
- NY Daily News Television Review: 'Veep'
So “Veep” offers easy fun, because the perps are caricatures we know, entertaining us with nonstop clever banter. But it’s just that ease that ultimately makes “Veep” a little unsatisfying. It’s too easy, too much like a series of safe sketches that play to all the stereotypes everyone in politics claims describe the other side. 2 out of 5 stars.

Love Armando so much.

The only thing I'm worried about is if this show is missing it's "Malcolm" or "Simon".

I'm not too big on Julia Louis Dreyfus tbh.

Truant

Reminds me a bit of Parks. It had a lot of potential, but didn't really become anything special until midway season 2. Then it just took off completely.

Sotha Sil

Getting worried. I wonder if Sepinwall is planning on reviewing it (or if I missed his review). I tend to agree with his observations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom