• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO. Armando Iannucci. Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Female Vice President. Sign me up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peru

Iannucci is undoubtedly one of the greatest comedy geniuses of the last 20 years. Maybe the greatest. The way I heard him talk about this was that it would come off sort of like the American segments in "In The Loop", which is perfect, as it's just a little bit different in feel to The Thick of It, with its own character. I'm curious as to how Louis-Dreyfus will fit this.. I think it could work out very well indeed.

I feel so spoiled! A new Thick of It season is being written now as well (plus the Partridge shorts). I hope he maintains the quality even with so much content to work on.

I think there's a Partridge movie in the works too.

I wish I could check out the new Partridge shorts they did for Fosters lager but their YouTube channel is blocked to people outside the UK.

Boonoo

Oh shit! This should be great. Like one of the comments from the link said she'll finally get to say 'fuck' a bunch on tv.

Wes

venison crêpe
Heard him talking about this the other day, along with other projects he's doing/done, in a radio interview. I'm very much looking forward to this series. His twitter is usually a goldmine too.

Empty

While i'm in an Iannucci thread, has anyone here picked up the recent Thick of It book? I want to get it, but i know that if i do i'll just end up with a second at christmas, so i'm waiting.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Peru said:
A new Thick of It season is being written now as well.

This is the best news I've read since the election. Iannucci is my favorite political satirist in either the UK or US (sorry Stephen!). That said, I'm not sure about the HBO show. In The Loop was funny, but almost entirely because of the way the UK team ran circles around the Americans. I'm not sure U.S. actors can even pull off that sort of extremely dark, sardonic, cruel humor that makes The Thick of It such a joy to watch (and I say that as an American).

That said, I'll definitely be watching both the HBO show and the new The Thick of It episodes whenever they come out.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
went to see a talk that iannucci and the other writers were giving to promote the new book, they went over all things past and future for the series - if anyone's got anything to ask i'll see what i can remember?

during the q&a some american girl (who, assumedly, was a fan of the british series) stood up in righteous fury and protested at the very notion that a woman as brave and brilliant as hillary clinton might become an object of satire. you could hear people's teeth gritting.

luxarific said:
This is the best news I've read since the election. Iannucci is my favorite political satirist in either the UK or US (sorry Stephen!). That said, I'm not sure about the HBO show. In The Loop was funny, but almost entirely because of the way the UK team ran circles around the Americans. I'm not sure U.S. actors can even pull off that sort of extremely dark, sardonic, cruel humor that makes The Thick of It such a joy to watch (and I say that as an American).

Considering one of the best lines of the film was read by an American ("You're like Buffy now. You're Queen of the Vampires.") I think it ought to be okay.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
BenjaminBirdie said:
Considering one of the best lines of the film was read by an American ("You're like Buffy now. You're Queen of the Vampires.") I think it ought to be okay.

See that? Pull that out, America deflates.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
ghst said:
went to see a talk that iannucci and the other writers were giving to promote the new book, they went over all things past and future for the series - if anyone's got anything to ask i'll see what i can remember?

during the q&a some american girl (who, assumedly, was a fan of the british series) stood up in righteous fury and protested at the very notion that a woman as brave and brilliant as hillary clinton might become an object of satire. you could hear people's teeth gritting.

I doubt they addressed this, but are the R1 DVDs ever coming out? Last news was in April. I really want to give this show to as many people as possible and have the creators get some money.

piddledy

In The Loop was the only thing Iannucci's done that I haven't liked

In The Loop was a lot like the Nutter Christmas specials they did: roomy but self-contained, with all the plot points meeting satisfying endings.

I watched the teaser today. Obviously disappointing, as teasers always are, but I'm still excited. Besides Mad Men and Community and The Thick of It, there isn't anything else I'd rather see!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom