• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

T.J. Miller Exiting HBO's 'Silicon Valley'

You know what would be better? If they actually did something with the story, brought it to a conclusion, and ended the show instead of renewing it and slowly bleeding talent as costs creep up and interests go down

Yeah. As of now, it's all, I understand that Richard leaving Pied Piper is a big fucking deal as he was the start of the entire show, but I just don't really give a shit.

The trial scene was my point-of-no-return for writing him off as any sort of redeemable human being.
He literally cost his friends and co-workers everything because he couldn't handle not having his ego stroked for literally 5 minutes, even knowing that's what he was getting into well in advance.

He's a person that will ruin the livelihoods of his closest friends just so he can feel like the biggest name in a room full of people he'll mostly never see again 10 minutes later.

Sounds like a certain world leader.

jambo

Right, and at some point it stopped being funny and started being excessive.
I guess I just don't find terrible human beings being rewarded for being terrible to be hilarious - and my favorite show's Arrested Development.

So I take it you hate Seinfeld?

Sanke__

Zach Woods you better not go nowhere.

He's killing it this season

You know what would be better? If they actually did something with the story, brought it to a conclusion, and ended the show instead of renewing it and slowly bleeding talent as costs creep up and interests go down

HBO comedy series do not have a very good track record of surviving to an ending

still bitter as fuck about bored to death getting cancelled

Russ Hanneman to the rescue! TJ is great, Urlich has been both hilarious, and a constant annoyance to me. Hope this goes well for him, and I'm interested in seeing the show forced to shake things up.

ugh...awful news. I know this kills my interest in the show immensely. I have to say, though, this far into season 4 and he's kinda phoning it in, already.

Arttemis

Wow, I really didn't expect this kind of reaction. I absolutely hate his character on the show, and this is fantastic news for me.

Love TJ but his character has definitely worn out its welcome for me. It served its purpose the first two seasons and then just kinda stayed the same. I believe the show will definitely be better for it. I wish him the best though.

geestack

goddammit no

maybe this will be the catalyst to moving the show forward in terms of plot, but erlich is a top 3 character for me

Vee_One

Trigger warning...

Yeah, not happy.

This is an entirely sensible reaction. People should just stop watching and not even see what it's like first.

It's understandable, for a lot of people he brings a lot to the show (myself included). I find it hard to envisage the show without him to be honest. Also, a lot of tv doesn't have a good track record post the departure of a major character.

EDIT: I don't plan to stop watching although I think even now the show is starting to get weaker. Still funnier than most of what's on TV

I am surprised though at the amount of people that don't like him. Whilst he is one dimensional I think he greatly adds to the absurdity that is the show.

Wallach

This show without T.J. Miller sounds wack as fuck so yeah that is exactly what they should do.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
It's understandable, for a lot of people he brings a lot to the show (myself included). I find it hard to envisage the show without him to be honest. Also, a lot of tv doesn't have a good track record post the departure of a major character.

EDIT: I don't plan to stop watching although I think even now the show is starting to get weaker. Still funnier than most of what's on TV

I am surprised though at the amount of people that don't like him. Whilst he is one dimensional I think he greatly adds to the absurdity that is the show.

I think they need to wind it down soon, anyway. There's only so much of the tease of success followed by failure loop you can do before it gets really old.

MGrant

goddamnit, people! it is Jian Yang. NOT Jing Yang.

OT...same thing as Chun-Li. Pronounce it as Choon-Lee. NOT Ch-un Lee!!!

I am chinese and the mispronunciations enraged me.

To be fair it should be ㄔㄨㄣ which could sound like choo-un in some accents.

Be interesting to hear some behind the scenes stuff, a few people posted on twitter that he only found out when he read the script for the season finale, that higher powers weren't happy with his Uber thing (he got into a fight with an Uber driver and was briefly arrested), etc.

Hope it was his own decision due to career opportunities and not something going bad inside the dynamic of the cast.

I wonder how they will do it
At a guess they keep the set so it has to involve him leaving. Hard to imagine any logical move for TJ he is such a valley slacker how could he function anywhere else.

This right here. They won't do that. Instead they will dry hump the cash cow until they are six inches deep in a blowfly drenched corpse of an idea.

Laieon

I love this show and think this season is one of the best yet, but I wouldn't mind Erlich leaving and having the Pied Piper crew finish up the story within another season or two.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
If I had just watched season 1 I would've said good riddance, but he has become a much better character since then. I don't think his departure will ruin the show in any way though, his character was kinda left out from the main plots anyway.

norinrad

I probably won't be coming back for season five with Bachmannity gone. And perhaps Gavin Bellson as well. Pretty much kills the show.

xJavonta

Banned
I can't believe some of the shit I've read in this thread

I'm going to miss the fuck out of Erlich. Most of his lines are the most quotable from the show

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

I agree. Keeping a show past it's expiration date is something showtime does

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Is this like when Chevy chase left community and despite the character being annoying the show lost an edge and dynamics got changed ?

DJ_Lae

Damn, that really sucks - the dynamics between everyone will suffer without him. He's an idiot, but that character's consistently funny and just makes a lot of the jokes work.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'm sure HBO have an excel spreadsheet that disagrees with you.

I like how Graham Linehan tends to stop writing his shows after a couple of seasons, so they don't run out of steam. I'd love more IT crowd or Father Ted but I respect him for that.

I think this is the wrong move for his career. He stands out on the show and I think he has a good chance but I think people love him as Erlich too much. They'll resent him abandoning the character and he might not get another consistent roll like this.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I hope this means the show will start working it's way towards a conclusion. Five seasons is a long run for any show it's a rare few that can pull off more than 4 or 5 without it becoming stale and repetitive.

The show is already repetitive. This is the third run through of getting an idea, getting it working, spectacular failure. Somehow it's managed to stay somewhat fresh and that has everything to do with the comedy of TJ and Zach.

We'll see. I have a feeling it will outstay it's welcome and putter along uninspired.

Hmm, the best character is leaving, shit.

My Girlfriend isn't too keen on the show, but loves Erlich.

Between him and Peter Gregory, that means the show has now lost two outstanding characters.

If Erlich exists, then bring back the almighty Russ Hanneman.

s85GnaE.gif

Glad I stopped watching after season 1 I guess

Because one character exists after season 4?

The show is great, one of few genuinely funny laugh out load comedy series out there. But that's your loss.

Romez

It's weird people specifically hate Erlich.

They're all dicks except Jared.

I'd think Richard would be the more dislikeable one, he's constantly doing stupid shit.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Let's hope he's not one of those actors who decides to leave it all to star in films only to go back to tv a few years after that.

I see you Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

Except that didn't happen with Jeffrey Dean Morgan? He has consistently been doing TV along with his movies since Supernatural.

Damn this is sad to read :(

Erlich was just such an awesome weird character for the show.

Who will take his place as the resident pothead?

Top Bottom