• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - S4 OT - The Venture Continues - Sundays on HBO

They can only take the 'Richard fucks things up every episode' trope so far and I think we've passed it.

I'm enjoying the show but it needs to move on.

I have to agree with this. I'm enjoying this show a lot but I really want them to move on and have them succeed at something without everything ultimately falling apart again.

Season 1 is still my favourite season so far. I miss Peter Gregory :(.

I kinda like Richard though. I'm not at all down on him like some of you are. I mean he's a total asshole but he's a fun character to watch.

I kinda like Richard though. I'm not at all down on him like some of you are. I mean he's a total asshole but he's a fun character to watch.

Yeah - same here. Not really getting all the Richard hate. I think he's an awesome protagonist. Then again I adore the entire cast.

Best season so far IMO, and this is coming off a very recent re-watch of every season. Only negative this season is Erlich's exit which really shouldn't be happening.

Hoping to still enjoy the show with his absence. Super excited for the finale on Sunday.

I agree with others that Richard is a bad character, or at least a really annoying one. The premise for him was almost right: an awkward, brilliant good hearted guy with pure intentions to create something great. The problem is that over the course of the 4 seasons he's become more egotistical, possessive to the point of irrationality, terrible at communication and compromise, and just king midas shits anything he touches. I wouldn't say he's destroying the show, but I think he's definitely bringing it down.

EVO

I mean, I enjoy this show, makes me laugh a lot but even I had to check my expectations. When it started it seemed they were going somewhere with all these characters. Now I just treat it like any sitcom: they have a formula that's funny and they will keep milking it until it stops being funny.

I like to think of it as a live action cartoon.

Blackhead

Redarse
Silicon Valley should have been an anthology show
That actually could've been pretty cool and groundbreaking. Keep the same cast but shuffle their roles around and have them do a different venture each season. Some win some lose, some end up in between.

mmm... I didn't mean 'anthology show' like American Horror Story (same actors with different roles each season). I meant 'anthology show' like Fargo (different actors every season set in the same place/world). Many of the 'fans' want to see Richard 'win' by making lots of money but the story runners don't think there'll be many interesting jokes if Richard is Rich. Simple solution is let Richard 'win' and get a new cast. Richard and co could still appear as cameos...

(Personally I'm alright with the show as I don't want to see Richard 'win' and I lowered reset my expectations about the story having a strong message after the 1st season.

The Dinesh CEO episode from this season was one of their funniest ever so there are still some great highs)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
There's still been some genius character decisions throughout this season, but I do wish they'd waited a little longer to restore the status quo

TVexperto

that was an evolution? :)

which is when the show wasn't very good.

comedies like this tend to stay in their lane, and that's for the better, imo. the switch to something 'else' or major shakeups tend to not work out well

the loss of miller may tend to be that signal, but imo it hasn't happened yet. show is still very sharp.

didnt say it was a good evolution :D

Chojin

As usual Jared had the best lines. "As a product of forced adoption I can assure you there are consequences." I laughed my shit off at that.

The story of Donald/Jared is what saves this show for me.

Also that look Dinesh giving as Jared said that was priceless. Kumhail is such a great actor.

btrboyev

Letting Richard and his friends become successful would be like Roseanne hitting the lottery.

No. I think everyone in that group deserves success except Richard. That's how I want it to play out. Richard again will be in a position to get him and his friends rich and successful and he will again try to be a fuckwad but they one upped him. Gilfoil and Dinesh are too talented to keep failing. Jared is a genius who will one day probably be a CEO.

The smash cut of Jack telling the factory workers about the conjoined triangles of success to the breaking news of him being held hostage by the workers was great.

Also loved that the lesson that Big Head was giving was about old Tron vs. new Tron.

Ogodei

Yeesh, that was unsatisfying overall.

Though they definitely found a weird angle to save Pied Piper's ass.

But what happens when the smart fridges get upgraded to purge the malware?

Or did the bangup job with Melcher's data mean they get their offers and are now good for another round because the tech is proven?

FTF

Yeesh, that was unsatisfying overall.

Though they definitely found a weird angle to save Pied Piper's ass.

But what happens when the smart fridges get upgraded to purge the malware?

Or did the bangup job with Melcher's data mean they get their offers and are now good for another round because the tech is proven?

I think the later, yeah.

Chase17

Weakest season by far. Still had some good parts though. I thought Gavin was out for good, not too interested in him coming back as the antagonist again, though they could take it with a different angle.

RobotVM

Last season Pied Piper didn't want to be a server company. This season Pied Piper is a server company. Interesting turn of events.

geestack

guess we're back to season 1 with pied piper vs gavin/hooli again. i actually enjoyed the brief team-up with richard and gavin and thought that was an interesting way for the series to move forward, but as with any sitcom, status quo is king.

Kinda shitty season but definitely an improvement over season 3 which was a huge turd. "Goldfoy" remains the MVP along Jared. And Richard it's right: in the past Gillfoyle and Dinesh tried to push him to do some questionable stuff and now that he finally crossed the line and it's doing whatever's necessary they give him shit? Yes the stuff he's pulling out now are much much bigger but the principle is the same.
And holy shit thats Erlichs end? C'mmon writers...

Lautaro

This afternoon I was watching Gundam and I thought this is so fucking formulaic then I watched Silicon Valley and again, so fucking formulaic.

I realized the problem is not the shows, the problem is me: I watch too much shows, I recognize all the tropes and formulas and despite that my expectations still go wild.

I'm not hyped for next season but I'll probably watch it anyway. This show is still one of the funniest things in TV.

Dereck

6iAi8hU.gif

The show is funny, but the show is just treading water. They do all of this and get right back to where they started. They can't keep going like this. Eventually, the paradigm will have to shift or the show will die.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Someone should make a thread about this TJ Miller exit interview.

It's really fucking something. I won't give anything away, just read it.

I think that HBO and Alec Berg, specifically, kind of thought — and I guess apparently Thomas Middleditch — I guess they thought, "Alright, maybe this is the end of the character. But like everything in the show, we’ll sort of solve this and then it’s back to normal." And they just didn’t imagine that I would be in a position of being like, “I think that’s it.” …

God, I wonder what they would have done if he did want to come back. Elrich is just there for no reason at the start of next season.

Arkeband

Banned
Yeah I dunno, the only standout this episode was Middleditch got to show off some acting chops along with Martin Starr's contacts.

TJ Miller's sendoff was kind of lame but on the other hand that's kind of his schtick, to basically subvert expectations even at his own expense.

The plot has really begun to suck, but the jokes are still fresh.

gr8_brandino

Neo Member
Hopefully he lands some acting gigs for movies, because after his HBO standup special I don't think he has a future in standup comedy.

He's been doing stand up for years. I think he has his fan base, and that will be his goto love/fall back option. I'm sure he'll continue to get movie parts though. He's been in a surprising amount of movies.

Corpekata

Banned
Miller's a bit of a weirdo, given, but he also has that standup story about how he had like bleeding in his brain for a long time but nobody knew because everyone just thought he was being weird ol' TJ. So reading that interview kind of gives me worried vibes, especially given he probably partakes of a lot of various substances.

Someone should make a thread about this TJ Miller exit interview.

It's really fucking something. I won't give anything away, just read it.

He sounds high as fuck.

Also, this show has become so repetitive that I don't know if I can handle it anymore. But Gilfoyle, Dinesh, and Jared (and Jin Yang in his small doses) deliver such amazing banter and one liners that it's really worth sticking with it just for them, even if I feel like I've seen the same show over for about 10 cycles now.

holy shit, he kinda goes in on thomas middleditch here. i guess we know where the tension was coming from. he specifically praises a lot of people, but there's some pretty pointed comments against middleditch and alec berg.

I mean he legit just says "fuck Alec Berg I hate his ass" but most of what he has to say about Middleditch is all overwhelmingly positive, they just work as opposites in comedy and it's time to split.

Top Bottom