• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - Season 2 of the hilarious Mike Judge comedy series - HBO Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

lol this has nothing with looking at it as if it's real. The show establishes itself in pretty real rules. Like one of the "points" of the show is how it's an accurate portrayal of Silicon Valley.

Like every show things have to make some sense. What I say about Richard would be the same as criticising a Game of Thrones character for a dumb decision. Of course it isn't real but within the show it's dumb and it breaks my suspension of disbelief.

Richard makes dumb decisions and with him at the helm Pied Piper makes no sense as a company.

If I sound like a tech blog is because well, this is a show about tech that deals in part with how start ups and tech companies work.

I'm not saying you're wrong on the point that Richard isn't a great CEO or that his firing makes sense-- that is a logical series of events. I'm saying I find it odd that you and others see that and root for Richard to just go away rather than rooting for him to change and evolve (which he's started to do). It'd make real-world sense at this point if he took a backseat forever, but as a narrative it'll be far more interesting to see Richard claw his way back and assert himself as a fitting leader despite his flaws.

Though, I've always liked Richard more than the average viewer I think. His being an ineffectual and inarticulate genius is precisely makes him an interesting character

kiguel182

I'm not saying you're wrong on the point that Richard isn't a great CEO or that his firing makes sense-- that is a logical series of events. I'm saying I find it odd that you and others see that and root for Richard to just go away rather than rooting for him to change and evolve (which he's started to do). It'd make real-world sense at this point if he took a backseat forever, but as a narrative it'll be far more interesting to see Richard claw his way back and assert himself as a fitting leader despite his flaws.

Though, I've always liked Richard more than the average viewer I think. His being an ineffectual and inarticulate genius is precisely makes him an interesting character

I would like him to evolve if the character wasn't so dumb. Almost every problem this characters faces his Richard's fault and he has no redeeming qualities for me.

I have no reason to root for the guy. He made a good algorithm and then did nothing with it. He seems less of an underdog and more of an engineer with no vision.

So, for me, him not being CEO isn't a sad moment because he should never be one in the first place and maybe now the show can be more about other stuff than Richard doing something dumb or naive.

But if you do like him and want him to become this great leader and all of that I also get that. The character simple doesn't work for me. The whole "I won't sell out and I want to make my own company" would work way better if Pied Piper looked like something worth fighting for instead of just that algorithm.

Slacker

Guys

What if Gavin becomes the CEO

For a show that strives for pseudo-realism, that would be a stretch. He failed basically the exact same task with unlimited resources at his disposal at Hooli, and he has no fans at Reviga (certainly not Monica).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Richard needs to be ousted so he can later come back to save the company like Steve Jobs.

Pied Piper is a rag tag team but smart people see that the tech is legit and has BILLION$ of potential.

Money of that level on the line, it is the obvious move to get someone of experience in the role of CEO.

eznark

Banned
For a show that strives for pseudo-realism, that would be a stretch. He failed basically the exact same task with unlimited resources at his disposal at Hooli, and he has no fans at Reviga (certainly not Monica).

Meg Whitman keeps getting work

Richard needs to be ousted so he can later come back to save the company like Steve Jobs.
I actually think it would be cooler if it was more like Musk getting fired from X.com. Richard goes on to do crazy ass rad shit on his own. Jobs thing is just too predictable!

Vyer

Great end to a very funny season. That end sequence was so great. Smh @ people calling it 'bad writing'. They couldn't have done much more to make it obvious how intentional it was.

I will kind of miss Russ if that's it for the character. Small doses going forward would be great.

big ander

Man the music over the credits is always damn awesome
Is there an OST for this show or something ?

No--plus none of these songs are original for the show, they're chosen by a music supervision team. Interview with one of them here, there's a spotify playlist at the bottom with a bunch of the songs.

soleil

Banned
I feel like all they have to do is give Monica some other job so she can quit her current job and vote with them, giving them the majority, and thus giving Richard his job back.

Shaneus

But was Monica's share actually Monica's or just as a part of Reviga? Because when they called the emergency board meeting, she clearly wasn't invited.

spootime

I feel like all they have to do is give Monica some other job so she can quit her current job and vote with them, giving them the majority, and thus giving Richard his job back.

Monica doesnt have a board seat iirc, she was just representing Ravigas seat.

Corpekata

Banned
At one point she said something like "I've invested some of my own money too" to Richard early in the season so she has some sort of stake in Pied Piper. Not sure if that meant the board seat or just some ownership.

- A few gifs over on Reddit:

bAaK3OE.gif

Nd6umpi.gif

Quite liked the finale. The scenes with Richard and his mess ups were kind of lame, the keys going into the sewer and such. But then again, the crew stalling and going back for lemons was pretty good. Maybe it was all intentional but I didn't see it that way when I watched it.

How could you not see that as intentional?

Grinchy

Banned
How can they fire Richard though?

He created Pied Piper.
It's his code.

They need him to finish it / make improvements.

He's just not the CEO anymore. He can still be lead programmer or any other title they felt like making up. And really, he's a terrible CEO. He really should be more behind the scenes.

He's just not the CEO anymore. He can still be lead programmer or any other title they felt like making up. And really, he's a terrible CEO. He really should be more behind the scenes.

They can't force him to code though. After being fired as CEO, he could just sit back and collect dividends and vote when he felt like it.

Phoenix

Knowing several entrepreneurs that have gone through that situation - when these guys get fired they are literally fired. They retain their ownership rights but unless something else happens they are pretty much on the sidelines and let to just do stupid shit at board meetings exclusively. They don't show up to work and write code or anything of the sort, and hopefully they've written their contracts such that they have enough legal leverage to not end up being diluted out of their voting rights - something which Richard could quite easily see happening next season. Since he has lost majority voting of the board, the board could vote to add more seats and dilute him that way as well as offer huge volumes of stock to dilute his stock rights as well. Its the founders worst nightmare.... your company essentially stolen from you.

Slo

Knowing several entrepreneurs that have gone through that situation - when these guys get fired they are literally fired. They retain their ownership rights but unless something else happens they are pretty much on the sidelines and let to just do stupid shit at board meetings exclusively. They don't show up to work and write code or anything of the sort, and hopefully they've written their contracts such that they have enough legal leverage to not end up being diluted out of their voting rights - something which Richard could quite easily see happening next season. Since he has lost majority voting of the board, the board could vote to add more seats and dilute him that way as well as offer huge volumes of stock to dilute his stock rights as well. Its the founders worst nightmare.... your company essentially stolen from you.

This is my worst nightmare. Leave my steady paycheck to start my own gig, strike gold and then get Ned Starked by someone more politically/business savvy than me.

norinrad

I sort of see the connection between Jared and the guy from WWII Germany, hilarious. The writers of this show are truly having a laugh. The little references is what makes Jared the most interesting character of the show :p.

Would be great to know more about the backgrounds of each character next season...well maybe except Richard.

KJA

This is how I see the show going forward:

- Since Richard Hendricks is no longer CEO, Laurie Bream of Raviga Capital will find a "proper" replacement for him that will (in theory) be able to accommodate the management needs of their start-up company. This doesn't sit well with Hendricks, since Pied Piper is essentially his baby, so he'll start putting up a fit by making a series of inaudible and frustrating facial movements until he blows up into somebody's face.

- Now that Raviga Capital has made a sizable investment into their company, the whole crew will eventually be forced to move out of Erlich Bachman's house and into a corporate workspace.

- Although Gavin Belson is out of a job, it won't be the last that we'll see of him.

That's all that I have for now. As long they avoid something as idiotic as the "delete-key" incident, then I won't be having a problem following the show into the next season.

Grinchy

Banned
I feel like it's no coincidence that Dr. Bannercheck was working on a prosthetic that works from brainwaves and Bighead came up with an idea for a phone that works from brainwaves. I wonder if Bighead will end up bringing Bannercheck back to the team to actually develop that phone.

Coda

I feel like it's no coincidence that Dr. Bannercheck was working on a prosthetic that works from brainwaves and Bighead came up with an idea for a phone that works from brainwaves. I wonder if Bighead will end up bringing Bannercheck back to the team to actually develop that phone.

Seems like that would be a smart move. Something Gavin should have noticed.

Just finished the season after binging it in two days. So good.

That was a heartbreaking ending but knowing mike judge he might actually be making the Steve Jobs joke where Richard improves himself and comes back later to convince the guys that he's the best guy for the job.

As to the season itself wasn't as strong and a bit more painful to watch through due to all of the fuck-ups and difficulties the team had to go through. If I had to have ONE complaint is that the other members of the team (outside of the main tow) are my favorite characters and they've been almost non-existent this season which sucks. I love that pakistany dude.

Jonm1010

Banned
Just finished season 2. I have to say, I liked this season a lot more then season 1. Season 1 had a lot of growing pains and never hit the comedic stride that I saw season 2 hit.

The only thing season 1 really had over season 2 - and it was a big one - was Christopher Evan Welch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom